Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 -1966 Chevy Long Bed

• 2 weeks later...

There were some long bed side panels offered at one time (mid to late '80's?), by either John Heyer or Model Cars and Parts of Missouri, and were based off the old SMP 1:25 scale promo. I used them (and the grille) on an AMT '60 a few years back, but I never did find out for sure which company cast them. There are some out there, you just might have to look- though I can say I'd suggest waiting until the stuff Casey is working on is ready. :rolleyes:

0000_zpsef353e6e.jpg

00000_zps5aa4bfb0.jpg

At one time, somebody (perhaps John Heyer) did a set of long bed sides. They were JUST the bed sides, you were left to your own devices as far as the inner sides and floor went, and they were resin repops of the old SMP kit. I posted the ones I used on my '60 in the Truck Resin and Aftermarket section earlier today- someone was asking on availability of a long bed for '60-'66 Chevy trucks.

Maybe this something that some of us could request of the resin casting industry. I honestly think that a lot of items that would sell were they available are not being made because most guys will have a project in mind, look for the needed conversion or add on parts, not see them and just move on and settle for second best which is just using what is available. They sold a whack of the '60 - 66 Chev trucks in 1:1 and what kits have been available have only been offered as short box models - and not everyone just wants a short box. In real life, I like a '58/9 Chevy short box because they are cute and look so good. But for versatility and general purpose use, a long, wide box is usually much better suited simply because they can haul more and they also usually have a better ride than a short wheel base.

I suggest that what is at least sometimes overlooked and forgotten is that the same box was used from 1960 thru 1966 on both Chevy and GMC pickups although GMC models are a real oddity in scale. I'd likely buy several resin fleetside boxes if they were available and being as how they are out there in styrene so there is already a patern with very little modification needed aside from cutting an original SMP bed floor away from the cab, it should be a relatively easy and cost efficient project. Just something to maybe consider....

The lines on the SMP bed sides don't quite match up with the AMT/Ertl cab, though- look closely and you'll see the side cove is a bit higher if you line up the rocker line. The shape of the side cove is also a bit different between the two. Casey's approach would fix that problem.

00000_zps5aa4bfb0.jpg

:blink: I thought for several seconds that the photo was of a real truck! WOW!! Very tasteful and well done weathering and photography! Well, what ever it takes, the model from which to makemolds is a definite possibility and for any accomlished builder, probably not difficult. I think that the availability would fill a niche that has needed filling for decades. Again, just my opinion. Who would be a suitable resin casting candidate to approach with this idea? Any ideas?

I'd like a couple of those LWB beds myself - at least two. I,m not holding a lot of hope that a proper, reasonably accurate set of bed sides and tailgate will ever come to be. I have a long, wide box truck that is a curious thing in that it has a screw chassis and bumpers and appears to be a kit with the proper frnder emblems glued on in the right placed. The box is multi piece with an old "1964" license plate glued on the back of the truck. It may be an annual, or it could be a combination of kits - I do not know. But I do know that I much prefer the looks of a long box than a short bed model and I;d like to cuild several in different colors.

You might want to wait to how the bed Casey is working on comes out. While the old AMT annual beds are out there, they do not fit up very well with the contours of the newer tool cabs, particularly at the bottom. The newer tool kits tend to "roll under" at the bottom , something that the old kits do not have. The Revell '64/'65 seems to have a little more of a curve in that area of the cab than the AMT '60, either way, it is noticeable. The old tool bed also has the tailgate and front bed panel molded in, I have one that has its own floor (unknown year kit, but has the early trim), and one (original AMT '63) that has the floor as part of the cab. The one with the separate floor was wider than the Revell by about 1/8". I haven't checked the '63 for a width comparison, but that kit is going to get rebuilt rather than scavenged for parts.

Maybe this something that some of us could request of the resin casting industry. I honestly think that a lot of items that would sell were they available are not being made because most guys will have a project in mind, look for the needed conversion or add on parts, not see them and just move on and settle for second best which is just using what is available.

I'd like to see a few Chevy long box resin conversions myself. Not only the 1960 and 1964-5 kit, but I need a later box from the late 1970s for a project I'm contemplating. This issue is that a resin caster can invest the time in doing the parts conversion, spend $100 or more on the molds and resin to make them, and it results in few sales. I've heard over and over that the initial hoopla on the boards with a bunch of guys pledging to buy multiple units, results in a handful of actual orders. Human nature, most of us will think that we will order it later, when we're actually going to do the project. Then when we finally get to it, the resin caster is gone!

This is just a suggestion, but what if a reputable caster like Modelhaus or someone else with a proven track record was to offer these using a prepaid means where if a person is serious, he sends the money by a given date and the caster makes what is ordered. Let's say for example that the project would need a cash and material out lay of $200.00 just to get ready to do the casting. ( these are only numbers for arguments sake ) Say that he would need ten box assemblies to be ordered and paid for at $20.00 per complete box and once he had in excess of $300.00 worth of orders to be economically viable( these are only numbers for arguments sake ) he would begin casting them and shipping them to the customers who had pre-ordered, cast some extras and have some stock on the shelf. This is just a general idea and a suggestion. Looking at the 3d printed box assemblies, it is tempting but costly as it'll likely be in excess of $100.00 for one box after shipping. Couldn't a resin caster do them for one third of that price or maybe just a bit more? If the news of the availability was put out on the different boards, there would, I am sure, be enough of a market to make this a worthwhile project. And why not offer boxe sides with and without the side trim once things get going? Just a suggestion.

Edited by impcon

This is just a suggestion, but what if a reputable caster like Modelhaus or someone else with a proven track record was to offer these using a prepaid means where if a person is serious, he sends the money by a given date and the caster makes what is ordered.

It is a good idea for a caster to take some pre-orders to gauge the need for the product. I talk to a lot of the aftermarket as part of my duties for NNL East. Most say that the best time for a new product like this is when the kit is brand new, and everyone is excited about it. Demand drops once it's just another item in the kit manufacturer's catalog, and drops off to nothing once the kit is out of print.

This wouldn't fall into Model Haus territory, more like a project for RMR Ron Andrews since he does a lot of light commercial products. And of course only the caster can calculate what it would have to sell for to make it viable.

Edited by Tom Geiger

This wouldn't fall into Model Haus territory, more like a project for RMR Ron Andrews since he does a lot of light commercial products. And of course only the caster can calculate what it would have to sell for to make it viable.

I don't know, you would a surprised at how much light commercial Don actually has in his catalog. Not only does he have several variations of tool box type utility beds, but also several other pickups beds, including beds for the '58/'59 Chevy Fleetside in both short and long forms.