Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Lowboy?

yes Loadcraft, 35 ton, outside frame. In real life if you were to load a Cat D8H on it, it would break the trailer.

The kit is accurate & true to the late 60's - early 70's design.

Thanks Richard very Interesting. So it would be able to take a truck ?. Just removing my D8 as we speak :P Do you know if they had a Loadcraft decal on the 1/1

Dave

Thanks Richard very Interesting. So it would be able to take a truck ?. Just removing my D8 as we speak :P Do you know if they had a Loadcraft decal on the 1/1

Dave

Dave,

yes on a truck, 35 ton US = 70,000 pounds capacity. The problem is the outside frame, the load would have to be spread evenly both across & length wise on the deck. It is rather easy to cut it up & make a fixed neck drop deck, with moving the beams to the center. so that the run with the same width as the rails over the tri axle suspension.

Then make new deck side extensions & it would be able to haul the D8

We are talking about this trailer correct?

Dozer1.jpg

D8H is listed at 47,000 lbs, so there is a fair margin between that and max capacity of 35 tons.

I don't know that much about trailers but it looks very similar to the ones like this that I see dozers getting lugged around on.

dozer_zpsf2e65781.jpg

Load King 353 CS.pdfGents,

I also heard the AMT was supposed to be a Loadcraft. I have searched dozens of archives and have collected every line drawing I have ever seen and I have never seen a drawing or photo of this trailer list as Loadcraft. Loadcraft is as far as I know still in business in Brady,Texas so yes there would be copyright issues.

I have found a drawing of a 35 ton trailer form Load King that is almost identical to the AMT trailer. Notice that the drawing does say narrow neck.

The Caterpillar D8H has a listed operating weight of 70,503 lbs technically over limit for a 35 ton capacity trailer.

Could it be that someone at AMT lost his notes and got the two companies confused?

Edited by Bgrgbldr

• 2 years later...

The instruction sheet I have lists the capacity as 40 tons. 40 ton capacity in 11 feet of space. Model LS3-40-S by Loadcraft. The kit I have is the 2002 re-issue(red trailer on the box with a construction site photo backdrop). No LoadCraft decals, but Loadcraft is mentioned as the mfg on the instruction sheet.

Load King 353 CS.pdfGents,

I also heard the AMT was supposed to be a Loadcraft. I have searched dozens of archives and have collected every line drawing I have ever seen and I have never seen a drawing or photo of this trailer list as Loadcraft. Loadcraft is as far as I know still in business in Brady,Texas so yes there would be copyright issues.

I have found a drawing of a 35 ton trailer form Load King that is almost identical to the AMT trailer. Notice that the drawing does say narrow neck.

The Caterpillar D8H has a listed operating weight of 70,503 lbs technically over limit for a 35 ton capacity trailer.

Could it be that someone at AMT lost his notes and got the two companies confused?

were you looking at the newer high track dozers because the only 1/25 scale dozer is modeled after one from somewhere in the 70's

Most weights listed by Cat are minus attachments. So most weights don't include the blade or rear ripper assembly. But even at that the model of the D8H from AMT should not exceed 70,000. If it had ROPS or a heavier blade it might be close.