Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius International ProStar build. Cab mounted, 6-21-14

I finally got one. I opened the box and felt that old feeling that I wanted to build something again. It's been a long time since I've built anything without losing interest in it.

So far I've made a couple of corrections to the body and front bumper. I have a picture of the last truck I drove, and noticed some differences between the kit and 1:1. I've already got most of the truck cab painted, but still working on filling in some panel lines that weren't on my real truck.

I'll post some pictures of the build in the morning, it's time for me to hit the hay.

Edited by Custom Hearse

Thanks everyone. The temp outside is a bit cold to paint, so the truck cab won't get painted today. I did get the panel line filled in and ready though, so I'm happy about that.

I found out why the wheelbase looks so messed up J.T. It seems that Moebius modeled this kit from the redesigned 2013 ProStar. I'm building a copy of the truck I drove, which is a 2012 ProStar... There is a vent between the hood, and the doors that make the cab 3 to 4 scale inches longer, and pushes the cab back as well. it looks as the the sleeper is longer too, but I don't have the measurements to compare.

I was wondering, how much difference is there between the maxxforce and a Cummins? The truck I drove had a Cummins. Can I just paint it red and get away with it, or do I need to do a complete overhaul of the engine?

Meandmytruck_zps5d054108.jpg

Edited by Custom Hearse

Hi mate. Auslowe does a cummins signature 600. Google auslowe and you can fond the contact info. I think the prostar come with a cummins isx. The isx and signature 600 look similar from pics I've seen on the web. Might be worth a look. Look forward to seeing more of this truck. Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bennyg

Hi mate. Auslowe does a cummins signature 600. Google auslowe and you can fond the contact info. I think the prostar come with a cummins isx. The isx and signature 600 look similar from pics I've seen on the web. Might be worth a look. Look forward to seeing more of this truck. Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben. I looked it up and it looks like it might fit my needs. Appreciate the help!

I take it you did not have any fit issues with the cab roof?

Sorry about not answering the first time Jonathan. It had a spot on the lower edge of the lower roof piece. I layed it on the cab, and eyeballed the parts, and then used a sanding stick to even it out. you have to use the old take a little off at a time, and then test fit it again and again... A pain, but it works!

looking good, feels good to be building again doesn't it?

No kidding Tom! I got into a slump, and I just couldn't get out of it. I think the winter is the hardest time of all. Needing to paint bodies, and not being able to do it because it's too cold is a drag, and it just snowballs from there. Getting this new issue is also making it easier since it is different from anything I've ever built. And I've built a lot of models over 45 years...

Sorry about not answering the first time Jonathan. It had a spot on the lower edge of the lower roof piece. I layed it on the cab, and eyeballed the parts, and then used a sanding stick to even it out. you have to use the old take a little off at a time, and then test fit it again and again... A pain, but it works!

I did test fit several times , for some reason my roof cab was out of shape just a little bit

That's a great idea about the scribing of the inside of the cab fairings....I wondered about this detail omission, myself.....But in the end, I decided if I tried to make it just "a little bit better" as my dad always puts it, I'd just screw it up.....Something me and my dad do often...."Tried to make it a little bit better, didn't you..." I can hear him, now.... :) You're braver than I am....

I used a piece of blue painters tape to mark the edges. I laid the the tape on the fairing that is supposed to be rubber. I matched the tape edge to the scribed line on the outside, and then scribed a line on the inside. If I had to do it again(and I may still do it), I would use the scribe line on the outside of the fairings, and cut them completely off, and then either glue them back on after painting, or use some correct thickness rubber gasket material. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they didn't have a line on the inside...

The fairing edges were also sanded down on the back edges to a knife edge. The 1:1 rubber fairing are not the same thickness all the way across.

You know, Marshall...Even with these little glitches, I think, overall, this is one fine kit....I can live with the fairing issues and such, but that frame length really bothers me....I just Have to lengthen mine....I'm pretty certain I will never build one that I haven't lengthened....I've seen them with this kit's length, but only with the shorter sleepers.....Not with this long one.....And believe me, I do prefer this one....No problem, as Italeri's been getting away with it for years.....And you only need to lengthen it about 1/2 and inch to make it look right.....I do 1 inch, but that's me....

You're definitely looking good, Man....Keep it going....

Oh believe me J.T., The length is an offense to the eye. I noticed AMT's T-600 had the same problem, only worse. I figured the length of the sleeper on this kit was a little longer than my 1:1 was. Yeah, a 1/2 inch should do it. I may still do it myself.

You're right though... Even though this kit has a few small quirks, I'm still as excited as ever to build it (and truth be known, I love to modify kits ;) ).

The build is at a slight standstill for the moment... The weather has turned a bit cold for painting (the temps have not been over 30 degrees for the last several days, and it snowed 2" night before last). We are expecting winter weather and cold temps for another week. :angry:

I guess I will start on building something else on the truck...