Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've always liked these old Monogram civilian airplanes and lately I've been picking them up on eBay.

Cessna01-vi.jpg

Yea, I know they're crude by today's kit standards, the door hinges are clunky and the doors don't fit well, (actually nothing fits well!) but they are still fun to build.

Cessna02-vi.jpg

I did a Google image search looking for ideas for a paint scheme and I saw a couple that were polished instead of completely painted

so I thought I'd try something like that.

I covered the entire model with Bare Metal Foil then masked off the areas I wanted painted. This was easier to do than I thought it would be, but I did use up a lot of foil!

This will go nicely with the Monogram Piper Tri-Pacer I built about a year ago.

piper01-vi.jpg

As always, comments are welcome.

I've always liked these old Monogram civilian airplanes and lately I've been picking them up on eBay.

Cessna01-vi.jpg

Yea, I know they're crude by today's kit standards, the door hinges are clunky and the doors don't fit well, (actually nothing fits well!) but they are still fun to build.

Cessna02-vi.jpg

I did a Google image search looking for ideas for a paint scheme and I saw a couple that were polished instead of completely painted

so I thought I'd try something like that.

I covered the entire model with Bare Metal Foil then masked off the areas I wanted painted. This was easier to do than I thought it would be, but I did use up a lot of foil!

This will go nicely with the Monogram Piper Tri-Pacer I built about a year ago.

piper01-vi.jpg

As always, comments are welcome.

The choice for paint scheme was a good idea. Also the doors not fitting well would be correct. Manufacturers don't care about a tight fit on an assembly line. As long as it shuts it's good.

REALLY looks good in BMF! Weren't these made in an oddball scale, somewhere between 72nd and 48th? Or are they 48th scale?

Yea, I think this one scales out to 1/41 or something like that. In those days most airplane models were scaled to whatever it took to fit in the same size box.

Great builds. My favorite is the Piper Tri Pacer. Mom gave me a Cox .049 version.

I see you deferred to PETA and did not lay out the dead mountain lion!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

Joe.

:lol:

The 180 is almost the spittin' image of the 180 my dad flew in the 50's. It was a company plane, but the owner had a different plane he preferred to fly so my dad got this one to use for business and pleasure. He had the Monogram float when I was a tyke.

He tells the story of how he'd fly from ND to Austin, MN, then drive another 20-miles to visit my mom. One day upon his return to the Austin airport, he was aghast to find out that when the hanger owner ran out of room to store the parked planes, he tipped the tail draggers onto their noses to "stack" them better. Was a very tense trip back with every vibration a worry.

But my question is how do you mask BMF without pulling off with the tape?

• 3 weeks later...

But my question is how do you mask BMF without pulling off with the tape?

Well, you have to careful. I used Scotch painters tape (that blue stuff) and it did pull up some small bubbles in the foil in a couple of places. Fortunately I simply pressed them back down and it was okay.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to build the 1/32 B-17, but don't have the display room, even with the vertical wall mount provided. The P-38 has a 19.5" wingspan at that scale. I built it for a WW2 vet friend, who sadly passed this past November. A B_7 has almost exactly double the wingspan, so about 39". Big.

Edited by Jim Gibbons