Model Cars Magazine Forum

What type of "Box Art" do you prefer?

Box Art preference  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What type of "Box Art" do you prefer?

• Picture of real car ?
    • Picture of built up kit?
    • Some form of art work depicting the kit?

I much prefer artwork on the kits as long as its accurate as to the contents and what may be built. Artwork can stir up the imagination much more than a photo of the completed kit or the prototype. When we reminisce about favorite model box depictions, most often it is the artwork that makes it memorable. Have a look at the latest Chrysler 300 B artwork, it would seduce any modeller!

Cheers Misha

I'm old fashioned. I love to see a 50's or 60's style drawing of the car. The same style of drawing used on the real car brochures and ads. For me, that's super cool.

A picture of the real car will never be fare to the content of the box, and will create some false expectations.

A picture of the built kit may also lead to mistakes, as not often the builder used correct colors and it can even has assembly errors due to the built kit being a prototype kit.

Example? On the Revell 1957 Ford both pictures of the engine show the fuel line and fuel pump assembled sideways. Also valve covers the wrong color. Misplaced air cleaner, fails to show the mold lines on the chrome, the hubcaps have only one FORD lettering, etc.

So, taking all of this into consideration, and not only my personal preference by artwork, It's best to draw a nice art work, that everybody knows it's an artistic representation, and to avoid a lot of trouble.

As much as I appreciate fine box art renderings, I prefer to be able to see photos of the actual model for the same reasons already mentioned, I want to know what I'm getting. But photos of the real subject can be helpful as research tools as well.

So I'm voting for all three.

Come on, how many 7's can a guy look at ? :lol:

My preference would be as follows:

1. Stylized artwork of the subject vehicle on the box top. Can be a whimsical painting (like old AMT) or retouched photo of a built model (like late MPC).
  2. Photos of built model on box sides. If there are more than one building options or addition parts like wheels, they should all be shown.
  3. Photos of the parts trees on the box bottom (like Round 2).

We probably won't get all three in one kit. :(

If its artwork (as the primary box image), then it had better illustrate what is in the box, not some really kool wheels and parts that are not included. that's the problem with artwork...its too easy to make something look nice when in actuality its going to take a lot of work to get it there. and I say that primarily because of new people entering the hobby and getting disenchanted by whats actually in the box after being sold by the image on the cover. its a lot like the difference between the big mac on the poster vs. the one on the tray in front of you.

jb

I like the art work on the top of the box. The sides can be pictures of the actual parts.

I have always loved the art work boxes like amt is doing now with parts on the side of the box. Good thing is I built most of the amt kits so I know what the kit is. It also helps that amt puts a drwing on the bottom of their boxes...

Definitely inspirational art work. I can easily go on the internet to see what the kit actually looks like.

I couldn't agree more. I have bought a kit just based on the art work alone, even if I know what's in the box. On the flip side I have bought the newer release with the poorly air brushed built model because I know what's in the box and it's cheaper than the nice artwork box.

I'd like option 2 & 3. The Artwork like the Stylized Oil Painting of the Old Heller LeMans/Roadracing Cars on the Lid and Builtup on the Bottom of the Box like Accurate Miniatures did on their McLaren M8B's and Corvette GS's. Box Ends with painting Art and sides showing Kit & or parts with Description/Specs and options if any.

I'm of two minds on the subject. I really enjoy good artwork. It's nostalgic and I keep the covers for future display. However I also want to see what's in the box. Having said that, between todays master builders and the wonders of Photoshop, there's no guarantee that a pic of a model on the box is a representation of what's in the box.

If I could of had two choices it would of been, picture of real car and/ or built up model. But since there is only one choice I chose the built up model, because I like to see what it looks like built up since I normally do "box builds". I can always look online for reference photos of the real car. I think that art on the box distracts from the model photo/ build.

I prefer art work.my imagination builds on what has been put on the box.it influences my imagination and I want to build it.I will choose real art work over the others.plus the art looks so much better to me.the artist almost always creats a back ground and most of the other pictures don't.Thanks,Chris

I vote for, all of the above. Artwork /real car on the built ups on the sides. I like what Model King does, built ups, incorporated into artwork. As for built ups letting me know what's in the box, I'm a modeler, I can fix stuff that's not right, & I don't mind, close enough, as long as it's close. The there's Palmer kits, Monogram 69 Camaro & 66 Chevelle. They were far from close enough.

Id be happy with ether choices (but it should only show what the kit will come with)...white wall tires,decal stripes,optional building versions,etc...kind of a bummer when you buy a kit and the content does not match what is shown on the box...I have bought kits before just for what they came with or what was included before...if it does not come with it it shouldn't show it with or on the car/truck..to me its kind of like false advertising of sorts. I do like the retro box arts.