Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic Japanese sports duo: Toyota 2000GT and Datsun 240ZG

Matt Bacon

Two of Japan's finest ever sports cars, both products of their era, both designed by the same guy, Albrecht Goertz. The 2000GT was a Yamaha proposal which Nissan turned down, and Toyota didn't. The Z-car is Datsun through and through...
2000Gt-front-left-corner-XL.jpg
2000GT-low-rear-left-corner-XL.jpg
2000gt-left-nose-on-XL.jpg
2000GT-low-right-rear-quarter-XL.jpg
2000GT-high-right-front-hero-X2.jpg
2000GT-left-profile-2-XL.jpg
2000GT-rear-view-X2.jpg
2000Gt-high-left-side-XL.jpg
2000Gt-high-headon-gleam-X2.jpg
2000GT-low-front-right--XL.jpg
What a lovely car, and what a great kit...
bestest,
M.

Sorry... they're both the Hasegawa kits...

...and now the 240ZG
240Z-low-front-right-corner-PS2-XL.jpg
240Z-low-left-front-XL.jpg
240Z-right-profile-XL.jpg
240Z-going-away-XL.jpg
240Z-left-quarter-square-XL.jpg
240Z-front-right-aggressive-X2.jpg
240Z-high-right-front-XL.jpg
It's not as beautiful a car as the 2000GT, but I like its style and even the colour. That front overhang is a bit much, but it does lend it a real "shark-like" look. Still, I wouldn't say no if I found one for sale!
(and I'd better replace that rear offside wheel badge that's moved during the photo session. Rats!)
bestest,
M.

They may both be curbside, but I think these are fantastic kits by Hasegawa. I've previously built the Miura and the 250 Testa Rossa, and these two models have just confirmed Hasegawa's position as my personal #1 maker for car kits. They are precise fitting, well-engineered (not overcomplicated but as detailed as is needed, wherever it's needed), and really look like their full-size prototypes. Highly recommended.
Build thread is here:
bestest,
M.

Superb Matt, I could kick myself I had the chance to buy a racing version of the Hasegawa Toyota 2000gt a few months back for £10 and I turned it down....wish I didn't now its a beautiful looking car, you have done a very good job on both of these.

Now give me the keys to that Toyota !!

Thanks, guys! Gary -- that is a shame! I suspect the race version has the parts for the street version as well -- there are certainly a few marked "not for use" in my street version. There's also a "super detail" version with full engine -- and you should REALLY kick yourself if it was one of those you passed up for a tenner! ;-P

bestest,

M.

Thanks, guys! Gary -- that is a shame! I suspect the race version has the parts for the street version as well -- there are certainly a few marked "not for use" in my street version. There's also a "super detail" version with full engine -- and you should REALLY kick yourself if it was one of those you passed up for a tenner! ;-P

bestest,

I did pick up a Fujimi Enthusiast (yes the kit with a ton of parts) Ferrari Daytona Speciale and a Fujimi curbside Ford GT40 for £15 the pair now thats a bargain!

Edited by Mr Stock