Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Cuda

zaina

Now that my welding truck is done I can get back to this one. Using the lowered suspension with tires from the 32 five window and parts box steelies. Machined the pulleys, breather and dog dish caps. Engine is wires and plumbed. Here is where I'm at.

8D759B49-B38A-4D6D-98C2-80EC3AEF509F_zps

535A8751-AE10-40F4-BDAE-DD750C745F22_zps

Nice job on the trunk. While looking at the hinges, I gotta throw in an idea. I´m currently working on a ´69 A12 Roadrunner and have modified the hood to represent the fiberglass hood of the 1:1. Didn´t like the resin hoods that are available. However...the fiberglass hoods on the original have a structure underneath that I scratchbuilt with strips of balsa wood. Was a first timer for me to use balsa on a scale model and this experiment has put balsa into my list of great stuff.

The biggest bonuses: Working with balsa and thin CA will never in a lifetime warp a hood or a trunk lid or whatever. Glueing sheet styrene or adding putty always causes warps due to the shrinking process. This will not happen with balsa and CA. It is a lot easier to bring it to shape and when you are done, you can glue the balsa into place and cover the surface with CA to seal it up and harden it.

I will probably cost you less than an hour of work to scratchbuild the underside structure of the trunk lid. And this will hide the wire from the hinge also. I´ll take a pic of my Roadrunner hood if you are interested to take a look at the outcome.

Nice job on the trunk. While looking at the hinges, I gotta throw in an idea. I´m currently working on a ´69 A12 Roadrunner and have modified the hood to represent the fiberglass hood of the 1:1. Didn´t like the resin hoods that are available. However...the fiberglass hoods on the original have a structure underneath that I scratchbuilt with strips of balsa wood. Was a first timer for me to use balsa on a scale model and this experiment has put balsa into my list of great stuff.

The biggest bonuses: Working with balsa and thin CA will never in a lifetime warp a hood or a trunk lid or whatever. Glueing sheet styrene or adding putty always causes warps due to the shrinking process. This will not happen with balsa and CA. It is a lot easier to bring it to shape and when you are done, you can glue the balsa into place and cover the surface with CA to seal it up and harden it.

I will probably cost you less than an hour of work to scratchbuild the underside structure of the trunk lid. And this will hide the wire from the hinge also. I´ll take a pic of my Roadrunner hood if you are interested to take a look at the outcome.

Sounds interesting. I would like to se a picture.