Model Cars Magazine Forum

ford 9"

did the suggested search and came up with nothing so I pose the question....

not the best picture, only get half the differential but it's the only one i have till I find the article, this is Scott Sullivan's 55 chevy and I am trying to figure out if this is a ford 9?

post-5121-0-98809700-1393593882_thumb.jp

now, is the rear end in the 66 pro street nova a 9"?

what kit has a good 9" rear end?

thanks in advance.

1) Yes, that looks for certain like a 9". That little indentation on the rear cover next to the bump for ring gear clearance is a giveaway.

2) I don't know about the rear in the '66 pro-street Nova

3) ALL the Revell '32 Fords have a great 9", but of course you'll have to modify the brackets and spring perches. There are also excellent reinforced-housing 9-inch rears in many Nascar kits.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Are you going to build the cheez whiz 55? One of my all time favorites

mine too!!! good eye! yea, i am going to give it a try and get it as close as possible, have to call a decal guy (hey Chuck Nayler...) for the air brush work on the back. i found my Hot Rod books with it in there so.....wish me luck.

I believe that Competition Resin now offers a Ford 9" rear end in their lineup.

thanks nick, if i cant find one in the parts box, i will look them up.

• 5 years later...
On 3/1/2014 at 2:20 PM, tubbs said:

mine too!!! good eye! yea, i am going to give it a try and get it as close as possible, have to call a decal guy (hey Chuck Nayler...) for the air brush work on the back. i found my Hot Rod books with it in there so.....wish me luck.

thanks nick, if i cant find one in the parts box, i will look them up.

Did you ever start the Cheez Whiz 55?

The rear axle in the pro street Nova kit is a narrowed GM unit.

The NASCAR kits have 9" Ford pieces, but they are not the cleaner looking housings typically used under street machines.  So count on spending some time reworking one of those.

The Revell pro street '41 Willys has a nice narrowed 9" Ford setup.

I forgot to mention that Scott at futurattraction makes a very nice one.

fR-FAB9-1K Narrowed, Fabricated 9-Inch Ford Rear End Housing Kit w/Brakes $14.00
This recently designed one piece, fabricated 9-inch Ford rear with back brace and center section includes 3D-printed calipers and hats, plus PE caliper mounts (one spare), axle housing ends and slotted rotors. This new housing includes fill cap and drain plug and incorporates .125" OD axle tubes.  The caliper brackets and housing ends have been redesigned to fit the larger axle housing and allow the builder to have more flexibility in adjusting the width of the brakes to fit a variety of wheel widths and tire sizes. The corresponding 4-link set for this rear end is S-4LF9-1. Caliper instructions included.

http://www.futurattraction.com/index.html

Best,

Ron

Edited by eferrari

On 2/28/2014 at 3:29 PM, tubbs said:

EXCELLENT!! MCM members strike again. no nascar kits, but I know I have a galaxie that is set for yet another project..... maybe I will have to hit up the 'ol "wanted" section. thanks for all your help.

I have an unopened AMT 1/25 Bill Elliot NASCAR  T bird.   PM me - I'll make you a great deal on it!  lol  I may have some Monogram 1/24 NASCAR kits as well.  

On 6/29/2019 at 1:48 AM, crowe-t said:

Did you ever start the Cheez Whiz 55?

hey mike. unfortunately no, I have not got that Cheez-wiz car built. kind of got taken off even the back burner. really want to get back on it, along with his 66 nova, just too much stuff in front of it right now. 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, randyc said:

I have an unopened AMT 1/25 Bill Elliot NASCAR  T bird.   PM me - I'll make you a great deal on it!  lol  I may have some Monogram 1/24 NASCAR kits as well.  

thanks for the offer. those NASCAR kits have a lot of good stuff in them. let me think about it.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:27 PM, eferrari said:

I forgot to mention that Scott at futurattraction makes a very nice one.

fR-FAB9-1K Narrowed, Fabricated 9-Inch Ford Rear End Housing Kit w/Brakes $14.00
This recently designed one piece, fabricated 9-inch Ford rear with back brace and center section includes 3D-printed calipers and hats, plus PE caliper mounts (one spare), axle housing ends and slotted rotors. This new housing includes fill cap and drain plug and incorporates .125" OD axle tubes.  The caliper brackets and housing ends have been redesigned to fit the larger axle housing and allow the builder to have more flexibility in adjusting the width of the brakes to fit a variety of wheel widths and tire sizes. The corresponding 4-link set for this rear end is S-4LF9-1. Caliper instructions included.

http://www.futurattraction.com/index.html

Best,

Ron

Scott does tremendous work on all his stuff. thanks Ron.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:39 AM, MrObsessive said:

If you can find a parted out Revell Bronco somewhere (new issue) there's a very nice 9" in there. I used one I got off eBay for my (stalled for now) Shelby Green Hornet.

photo20-vi.jpg
photo21-vi.jpg

thanks bill, and as usual... ridiculous talent!! beautiful and thanks for the info.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, Mark said:

The rear axle in the pro street Nova kit is a narrowed GM unit.

The NASCAR kits have 9" Ford pieces, but they are not the cleaner looking housings typically used under street machines.  So count on spending some time reworking one of those.

The Revell pro street '41 Willys has a nice narrowed 9" Ford setup.

thanks Mark. have a few of those kits. thanks.