Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 MkII P/1046 - '66 Le Mans Winner

afx

A large part of what makes this model so realistic is the surface finishes. There's absolutely no orange peel, but the gloss looks like paint on a 1:1 car, and avoids the "dipped in syrup" look some models end up with.

The polished rims, I assume done with metalizer, are also very convincing.

I like this one enough to look at it over and over.

One of my favorite '60's road racers and this is just fantastic! I wish someone made separate decals for these though as I'd like to tackle the old IMC kit I have in my stash. The kit's stripe decals are white but for the '66 LeMans car, they should be silver. I guess I could mask it off and paint them------but then there's that pesky Ford lettering on the sides........... :(

For me, that is one of the sexiest race cars I've laid eyes on. You did such a nice job on it. I did this same one for a 24 hour build a few years back. I had trouble with the stripes. Mine cracked and broke apart very easily.

One of my favorite '60's road racers and this is just fantastic! I wish someone made separate decals for these though as I'd like to tackle the old IMC kit I have in my stash. The kit's stripe decals are white but for the '66 LeMans car, they should be silver. I guess I could mask it off and paint them------but then there's that pesky Ford lettering on the sides........... :(

Thanks Bill. Fred Cady did a decal set for the '66 Le Mans car. Pretty sure he did a couple different GT40 sheets.

Edited by afx

Thanks Bill. Fred Cady did a decal set for the '66 Le Mans car. Pretty sure he did a couple different sheets.

Ahhhh, but there's the rub! Finding a set will be the tough part as he's no longer printing last I knew. :( I'd love to get a set if one can be found on the 'Bay eventually.

Edited by MrObsessive

Ahhhh, but there's the rub! Finding a set will be the tough part as he's no longer printing last I knew. :( I'd love to get a set if one can be found on the 'Bay eventually.

There are a few vendors on ebay (jimheller and msmightymouse) that seem to have and endless supply of Cady decals. Haven't seen them list the '66 Le Man sheet however.

Very cool my friend, you know how much I admire your work and yes, you gotta do one with Harold's engine, I am planning to do one myself since I also purchased his engine!

Thanks Marcos. I better hurry up and build my next one, I don't want to be embarrassed setting my next to yours.

do an internet search of Pattos Place slot cars and decals. you can get a decal sheet of just about every gt40 that ever raced, excellent quality decals and you can get them in different scales

I built this 1st generation MKII (IMC/Testors) a very long time ago. It would have been so nice if Fujumi made theirs with engines though. :(

I'm sure I can spare an extra wheel if you need one. I have about a dozen of the Fujumi/Revell GT40's.

post-13094-0-25184800-1393805689_thumb.j

Edited by vamach1

There's nothing not to like about this car, but, does not the lack of an engine make it a curb-side? The build is stellar and sits on my desk-top.

That is correct Gene, a curbside kit has no engine. The photo of the engine kit is for a future project. This car ran a big block 7 liter (427) engine while the engine kit is the 5 liter (289) small block appropriate for the GT40 or MkI if you prefer.

Edited by afx

A large part of what makes this model so realistic is the surface finishes. There's absolutely no orange peel, but the gloss looks like paint on a 1:1 car, and avoids the "dipped in syrup" look some models end up with.

The polished rims, I assume done with metalizer, are also very convincing.

I like this one enough to look at it over and over.

Thanks Bill. Yep no clear here. The rims are actually the kit finish and are a bit to shiny IMO. My next build I might strip them (gasp) and paint them a flatter finish.

Edited by afx

To use a very old phrase, "slick as a whistle." Just outstanding. As someone who really needs to build in larger scales to get an acceptable level of detail, I don't know how you and so many of our members accomplish so much in this sort of scale.