Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

Great job Cato. I know it's been said many times, but it still needs repeating. And thanks for the reminder to know when to "walk away from it and say enough"....anyone can stare at just your engine on this build and spend the rest of the day ruminating on the "how did he do that?"

Cheers,

Tim

And here is firewall, complete with sink marks at the top. And two useless notches courtesy Pocher.

Old friend Bondo takes care of those and chassis oil pump, vacuum fuel pump and electric boxes get color. Lot of plumbing to be added:

265Medium_zpsb7f20f88.jpg

264Medium_zps8ad6b3db.jpg

The overwhelming desire to 'see what I've got' took over again so I got out of sequence once more.
Here's, the engine properly bolted in the chassis and the driveshaft connected after a couple of mild fixes. Koo was right; takes 5 minutes working alone and amazingly, it all fits to attachment points correctly. The good news is that's it's easily removable when I start the coach panel mock-up on the chassis. Back in its storage box then.
Having worked the cowl a bit, I just today completed shooting the maroon and yellow and propped that in place. Will Alclad the face of the panel, color sand the colors, and clear them. Then add the doo-dads that go on and connect up.
Now the colors seen here are close but mostly the maroon is slightly darker and the yellow slightly brighter. At least they match the wheel and the front tray correctly. Best I could do light-wise in my tiny assembly room...
Tell me what you think:

266Medium_zpsbbd5f9c0.jpg

267Medium_zpse6ff8001.jpg

269Medium_zps27573ef5.jpg

270Medium_zps54b321a2.jpg

272Medium_zps42d0322f.jpg

After much reference study, I discovered that Pocher got all the shielding for the wiring on the firewall wrong. Not leaving well enough alone, I Dremeled off the cast- on shielding. I've made new correctly shaped, 3mm wide shielding from flattened aluminum tube and will make lead foil retaining straps.

Then barrier the raw styrene, prime, black, and Alclad the aluminum finish.

Of course this is all after putting the pretty paint on the outside of the cowl. So I masked that while work continues and will color sand, clear and polish at the end.

I added about 4 days to the job for little real gain; the rear of the engine blocks a lot of this detail....... :wacko:

273Medium_zpsb9f251ea.jpg

Love the paint color and great finish; does it have a touch of metallic in it? The firewall is perfect.

No Skip, it's just the poor lighting and flash. Will be better in outdoor light. The cowl gets final color sand then clear. The fender has been cleared but not final polished. Lot of construction before that.

The firewall will get a bit of road dust and sweat in the corners and crevices like the engine did. No drippy stuff and no rust though. They'll be a lot of plumbing covering most of it and the back of the engine is a natural block.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Small but time-consuming progress...

The firewall and cowl assembly shaping up.

Essentially, I removed all the molded-on wire shielding and scratched new using 1:1 photos. The old was 3mm wide by 1mm deep. The new is 3/32" ally tube, flattened and sanded and glued to a .015 styrene base in the new routing pattern. Gives the same dimensions as original. The main change is that it goes next to the chassis oiling cylinder (not behind it), down to the 'shelf', then across and down to the ignition box. That box is also relocated lower as per 1:1.

Next, lead foil straps with PE rivet heads are added to support the shielding. A new steering shaft plate is now .005 ally with a .020 styrene backer. Gets rid of the hunk of black plastic supplied. Four 00-80 bolt heads will be added as plate attachments.

The electrical boxes are in place with appropriate scuffing and soiling. Hard to see in the shots but there's subtle shading in craft acrylics (a variation of black and ivory mixes) under the shielding, in corners and around the upper inner edge, where muck and soil would normally collect. This is like theater make-up; it looks extreme when applied but when dry, flattens and subtly shades the areas giving shadows and tone. Shows depth and adds 3-dimensionality to small parts. Silver Rub 'n Buff brings up the edges with highlights. The girls apply make-up with the same idea.

To come is a bit of graphite rubbing to add sheen to less worn areas and factory placards. Oh and lots of oil lines and fuel lines, (and their retaining straps), the fuel filter, chassis oiler and the large vacuum fuel pump.

The brass strips at the perimeter are done with Amber enamel over Titan Gold acrylic, then the hood rub strips picked out in khaki as cloth.

The maroon and yellow outer paint has been color sanded and cleared. Then (when the detail is finished) is 2400 to 12,000 polishing cloths for final. Then this gets tucked away until time for fitting the rad and coachwork.

278Medium_zpsaba9a22d.jpg

280Medium_zps3329ab08.jpg

279Medium_zps3227b882.jpg

281Medium_zps2f0f2981.jpg

A (hopefully) useful tip...

With much detail to be added to the firewall, it became necessary to paint and final polish the cowl. If I detailed first, it would be impossible to mask. So the need arose to protect all that paint work on the cowl.

After 3 coats clear, I polished to 8000 grit, and since this is automotive lacquer, I used auto compound to get the glass-like finish I wanted. Then applied auto wax-Mothers Carnuba in this case. Reason is I want to be certain that protective tape removes safely and easily.

Next, low-tack Frog tape on the painted surfaces. Now the big secret is medical tape-in this case 3m Transpore- on top of the Frog. This tape has a nice low-tack also but a textured, protective surface.

Now I can handle the part with no worries as on the bench, I always seem to get accidental scuffs and scratches no matter how careful. I have to child-proof the parts from me!

282Medium_zpsf6cd859e.jpg

283Medium_zps90b9c452.jpg