Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

Clearing things up...

Well finally got the good spraying weather and applied three coats of clear. Now let it air out for a day or two before color sand and polish. Just tacked on a few bits to give myself incentive. Door, fender, wheel, seat and running board just placed not fastened.

850M_zpsmjg9o2u0.jpg

851M_zps212n4ihl.jpg

852M_zps511rjnkb.jpg

853M_zpsrq7lztan.jpg

Thanks for the generous compliments men. I have since done a full polish on the well-cured paint. Thankfully it matches the color and gloss level of the fenders, doors,  trunk and runningborads. Soon, the upholstery and installation of the headliner.

• 2 weeks later...

Showtime...

A long time between updates due to much head-scratching, fiddle-faddling and pure guesswork. But a very major hurdle overcome. The headliner is complete, permanently in place and is playing nice with the long-ago designed and assembled furniture. All in the hopes for a cozy, starlet-friendly cabin.

Designed  'on the fly', making up as you go and trial and fit at infinitum. The headiner consists of two main pieces of plastic to recontour the rather odd-shaped, truncated inner roof. Remember, it's been cut 13mm in front and 6 at the back. Plus Pocher gives you screw bosses and ribs you don't want. The top section is one simple flat piece with a tediously curved back edge. The sides and back are all one piece of .020 plastic cut from many templates and shaped over and over and which curves at the corners. This reduces the area a bit and required narrowing the previously fabricated seat. Many bad vocabulary words were tested here. When finalized and press-fit in place, it was covered with light gray leather, suede side out. The lighter color chosen because it would have no visibility back there with a dark skin.

859M_zps86csxcmh.jpg

The side panels, also from many months back are the same gray leather as the seats with burl wood photo trim panels to mate with the 'wood' door caps. I think the suede imparts a nice nostalgic 'mohair' or mouse fur fabric. I felt glossy leather would have been out of place back there.

858M_zpswip4bp65.jpg

AS mentioned the seat required narrowing due to the corner curves so some sweaty time on the belt sander resulted in the diet seen here. Thankfully, no catastrophies occurred because I have only small scraps of gray leather...

860M_zpsc68p6vsf.jpg

861M_zpssgfq9zqw.jpg

And this is the result. Yes, the head room is low and the leg room generous, all designed to encourage 1932 reclining starlets. Jean Harlow would not complain:

862M_zps6xobgcai.jpg

Here are some views with the seats in place (they plug in) and the inner door panel propped in place. Mercifully, they all seem to harmonize. More (easier) work to be done making front kick panels and dashboard installation.

863M_zpsqnrpd0zk.jpg

864M_zpsobdk96az.jpg865M_zps9aac1fm3.jpg

The door panel pleats were made to be in symmetry with the cowl and hood louver angle.

866M_zpslfp2dbuf.jpg

All-in-all, I consider myself lucky. I'm very far afield now and nowhere near helpful instructions. This is not strictly 'scratch-building' but very close to 'scratch-altering'. The damnable part is that any misstep or poorly executed, highly visible part ruins 2+ years of work. The coming roof outer covering is such an area. Although I dreaded the headliner for many months, it is done and I was lucky. The roof covering is now the new dreaded part. As will be the hood alterations when that comes up. Someone remind me that this is a fun hobby, please?

867M_zpspim7oytr.jpg

868M_zpshkdzhwl0.jpg

All-in-all, I consider myself lucky. I'm very far afield now and nowhere near helpful instructions. This is not strictly 'scratch-building' but very close to 'scratch-altering'. The damnable part is that any misstep or poorly executed, highly visible part ruins 2+ years of work. The coming roof outer covering is such an area. Although I dreaded the headliner for many months, it is done and I was lucky. The roof covering is now the new dreaded part. As will be the hood alterations when that comes up. Someone remind me that this is a fun hobby, please?

LOL Cato ... relax and enjoy the final stretch on your masterpiece, but just don't forget, you screw up now and you'll break all our hearts too :D

You took that beautiful leathered seat to the sanding disk??!!

I bet you were sweating bullets.

Glad it turned out for the good. Interior features are superb.... errr I mean supoib for you New Yorkers:P

Sanding BELT. I have a Blacksmith License you know...B)

The interior looks very plush! I like the headliner, too.

Maybe you already have this in mind, but what would be cool is a pair of courtesy/reading lamps mounted on each interior side wall above and ahead of the rear seat.

This cabin was designed for starlets, remember Harry? NOT librarians. So no reading lamps...:angry:

I truly have thought of those elegant mini vases, one mounted on each side wall near the opening with two small roses within.

But then I came to my (alleged) senses. :wacko: