Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay,some groundwork (bear with me, please). I have three very BRIGHT children. My son is fifteen and my daughters are twelve. Yep- doubles. Sad. Anyway, they're stupid in the ways of the world. I'm talking a common-sense, righty-tighty, gravity sucks kind of thinking. Like so many kids in this modern world, they've had it too easy. By the time I was fifteen I had overhauled my first engine, drove a race car, could run a chain saw... you get it, right? I blame myself. Although we do restrict their electronic ######, they still do the Playstation/Tablet/Whatever junk. Because they're good kids we don't deny them even though we probably should.

We live in the woods. I'm a bona-fide hickbilly and am proud of it. I'm a trapper, hunter, fisherman, etc. But my kids don't dig it, the simple way of life I enjoy. And I've never tried too hard to sway them- a little deer huntin' and a fishin' trip once in a while is about all they do with me. They have chores- we have animals that need tending. We burn wood exclusively and I'm kind of a slave-driver about workin' wood. They show their "stupidity" about the simplest things on a daily basis and it drives me crazy. And while giving my son his first driving lesson the other day, I kinda lost it. Not a nuclear outburst mind you- kind of an internal shorting of a few dozen synapses. The kid has no idea of the most BASIC principles. You know, gas makes it go, brakes don't- and gravity sucks. So I got to thinkin'...

My renewed interest in model building has really only slightly appealed to one of the girls- mostly it's been because of my choice of builds. The kids say I like "old and busted". I say, "durn tootin'". But I learned how to assemble things, and how thinks worked, very much by assembling model cars, starting when I was about eight years old. So why not have them do the same thing? Hmmm.

Here's the deal- first I had each one of them pick a model car they liked. The plan is this- they get to put them together. All by themselves. These kids don't know a transmission from a tunnel-ram, but then at some point neither did I. They get to pick paint colors (the most fun the girls have had so far). The have to do all the work, with minimal help from me. Actually, darn-near ZERO help from me. Because that's how you learn. And when they're done there will be some small reward, PLUS a third-party will pick the best model based on aesthetics and on how clean the build is. THAT car will win its' builder $25... A nice prize for the job done well.

As I write this it all sounds a little cruel, but the kids agreed to it, and that means it gets done. No time frame, although like any job they need to finish it in a respectable amount of time. They can research the internet if they need to (haven't told them that, and I won't unless they ask, but I would have of we'd had internet in 1974). Mean, huh?

There you go. Hopefully when they're done they'll have a better understanding on how to read instructions and follow directions. Maybe they'll know the difference between a transmission and a tunnel-ram. Who knows? They may even want to try it again. Darn the luck.

Remington (my son) picked a MPC '62 Corvette ('cuz it would be a CHICK magnet, right dad? Such a GOOD boy...).

Savannah pick a Revell '07 Dodge Charger because of a car some friends have.

And Abby picked a Monogram '39 Chevy Coupe. A STREET ROD (that;s my girl!). She thinks it will look great in HOT pink with white flames. Oh boy.

Well, thanks for reading my rant. Kinda lookin' forward to this. Except I brought a new un-assembled computer desk home a while ago, and since the kids are home from school (again) I have them in the living room putting it together. It's not going well...

Dale

Edited by Dale W. Verts

Very cool Dale!

My 12 year old Daughter likes to look at my kits/builds, but that's as far as it goes B)

Now my 5 year old Son, that's a different story...he's lickin' his chops to get building. I've done two snap kits with him, but his attention span is still a bit too short. All he wants to do now is mount the tires on the wheels and get it rolling, completed or not! :rolleyes:

Good luck with your kids builds, and make sure you post 'em up here on the forum!

Enjoy it while you can Dale, cause when they meet members of the opposite sex their model building will probably be over, sounds like your son is already thinking in those terms! :D but it sounds like a very good plan to me and after all they may learn a thing or two about an automobile, hang in there with them for some quality time!! ;)

That sounds pretty cool, Dale. Don't kick yourself for their interests ... we're all different, even those that came from us. You got me all worked up to see what they do .. you ARE going to document this for us, aren't you?? Their reasons for their choice of car sounds just like what mine are at times. I tried getting my kids interested in building but all it did was get ME back to building.

Good luck with your plan. I was fortunate, my son (only child) likes building car models. I started him at an early age, we also customized two 1:1 cars when he was a teen. So maybe one out of your three will take to our hobby. :)

Edited by 58 Impala

hey Dale, I am with you 100% you are a great father, just sitting and watching them build, or just doing anything with your kids is a plus today. your kids must be cut from the same mold as mine. I have a 20 year old in college and a 12 year old in 6th grade. they never brought a report card home with less than a B on it, they played sports, they are known throughout our small community, very polite and hard workers.... except when they cross that magical front door, they seem to morph into something else. not bad kids, just not the "do your chores" kids. common sense.... HA, unfortunately, they don't have any. too bad they don't have a class on that.

good luck with the "build-off", keep us updated on their progress...... and tell them you love them every day!!

Sounds like an awesome idea!My kids don't have the patience to build models but will sit in a hunting blind/river bank all day and practice sports for hours(haven't figured that one out yet) :blink: .I always give them a chance to build something..........but no luck so far.I guess some weirdo's just don't like building models :D

Wow, thanks everyone. Lots of positive vibes here.

The girls stated piddlin' with their cars last night. I'm flat amazed at what they've accomplished. Their attention to detail (and apparently unwavering and steady hands) freaked me out. A couple of little show-offs, if you ask me... Makes me PROUD.

So, question- do I leave the "show-off" pics here, or take them to the Workbench Forum? What do ya'll think would work best?

tubbs- I can dig it. "My, you've got the GREATEST kids"... Then they come home and unleash the little Monsters.

ZTony8- I'm a published writer, after a fashion. Mostly HICKbilly stuff, 'cuz that's just what I are, er, AM. I'm also pretty much full of bull, but I try to always have a great time. And I'll admit, this whole kid thing has caught me by surprise in the way it's workin' out. I'm sure the first glue-bombs are just around the corner, but so far it's been neat. And fun.

Thanks again folks.

Dale

Great project. I have to credit seeing my own father building models for getting me interested in seeing how things went together, and how things work. That interest, curiosity and the resultant skills have combined over the years to provide me with an income, and I still usually enjoy what I do for a living as a result. All that just from building models as a kid.

There's not a lot of understanding these days, as you say, or even interest in how and why things work, and how to fix them. An associate recently hired a nice kid in his late teens as a trainee in aircraft composite repairs. The kid had never been exposed to actually fixing or making anything, and didn't even know how to change a lightbulb in his truck, or a tire.

Giving your kids a leg up on understanding the working of the physical world (that comes from model building) can only help to make them more engaged and capable adults...even if their interest in modeling is short-lived.

Great idea, and good luck with keeping them interested. You are right , we did not have the internet back in the day . I had older brothers that would help me, or come to think of it tell me how to do it. LOL the idea of them learning how to put something together is awesome. Most kids have no clue. By giving them all the control, they might stay interested.