Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Wonderful World of Wheel Horse

Okay, how many of you have actually built the little tractor that comes in some old MPC Indy car kits? That's what I thought. Actually, it's probably a lot of you. That cute little puppy is hard to resist. When I decided to build it I started looking for reference pictures on the net and I discovered an unknown world of Wheel Horse enthusiasts. I ended up joining "Red Square", the forum for Wheel Horse guys and gals, and learning more about WH tractors than I thought there was to know.

The tractor in the MPC kits represents an early production 1968 WH Charger 12. You can tell that it's from early in the year because the kit motor is a 1967 Kohler K-301. They were using leftover 1967 engines at the beginning of the year. After poking around on the forum for a while, I decided to convert it into an Electro 12. The Electro was a fully loaded Charger with its own graphics, electric PTO clutch, hydraulic mower lift, chrome wheel covers, etc. So while I was at it, the motor would need to be updated since Electro's never had the leftover engines and it needed a mower deck (scratch built) to go with the hydraulic lift I had to build and so on. Totally crazy but it sure was fun. The Wheel Horse guys were very willing to help a modeler out. So here it is, hope you like it:

IMGP0889.jpg

IMGP0960.jpg

IMGP1049.jpg

IMGP1033.jpg

IMGP1035.jpg

IMGP1029.jpg

IMGP1038.jpg

IMGP1051.jpg

Cool Wheel Horse. I had one with 500 Special stickers from that vintage. It was a 6 hp. Tecumseh. I remember seeing them in Gasoline Alley at the speedway towing cars and equipment around. They were a big sponser at the 500.

I have not built my model yet, nice inspiration to do so. Thanks for sharing.

That's cool. I wish some enterprising resin caster would make the whole thing, I'd be in for one. I used to have an RJ.

Actually, I recently discovered that Scale Equipment Limited sells a resin version plus several attachments.

http://www.seltd.net/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X344897;search=16;search=Special%20Projects;limit=category;v=2.0

Edited by mr moto

Love it I got myself one . I plan to build mine like a garden tractor puller.

Sounds like a cool idea! I'd love to see it. You should check out the Wheel Horse forum if you need any questions answered, reference photos, etc. They'll love to see your project, they're super helpful, they have a forum section about pullers and you can download just about any WH owner's manual that ever was to see exploded drawings with all the parts shown. It's a win-win!

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/