Model Cars Magazine Forum

jeff lutz inspired 57 chevy (started)

shift13

Since I was a kid watching 1986 " catch me if you can" I fell in love with the 57 chevy. But growing up I grew very fond of drag racing. I always wanted to build a 200 mph street legal tri five and jeff lutz of lutz racing has done it

ive picked up a couple revell kits and started to mock up a couple of the pro stock chassis from revell and the tubs and floor pan fit perfect except the wheelbase. They seem to me about 3/4 if an inshort in the floor wich is like 18-19 inches in 1:1 scale and to mee that seems like allot.

So im wondering.

Are the sportsman chassis the same width? And more importantly are they longer wheel base?

Im still pretty new at scratch building but plan on making most of the cage and front end myself but floor and tubs would be ideal to start from

Any help would be great and as soon as I have a proper moch up and materials ill document my progress here

Thanks

Edited by shift13

Just googled the Jeff Lutz car and it is wicked looking.

The Revell pro sportsman chassis can be lengthened and shortened at will. It is not too difficult. On my '59 Imperial build I stretched the floor pan and frame rails to the proper wheelbase.

Notice how the frame has two notched rear cross members. I spliced the rear section of one onto a second frame.

Picture006-vi.jpg

As you can see in this picture, you can do the same with the floor pan. Not only did I stretch the floor pan but I widened it and added a new section up front for scratch built firewall.

Picture001-vi.jpg

I don't know if the sportsman and pro stock chassis are the same width but adding/subtracting length for the wheelbase isn't very hard at all. If I can help further just let me know.

Your pics are great im just worried about the look of it when im done I dont know if I should but the extra space ahead or behind the driver.

I wont be attending any showes but I dont want it to look like a man would have to be 8 feet tall to drive it eather lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well just about to get started I have a bunch of parts ordered and more to add. But its a start

20140329_004429.jpgis this blower set up believable? Or just impractical? Now of course its a mock up. But if I can save myself some money somewhere that would be awsome. Ive got a great handful of topfuel engines and parts. But they are all the same except the bagged blowers on the newer floppers

Well just about to get started I have a bunch of parts ordered and more to add. But its a start

20140329_004429.jpgis this blower set up believable? Or just impractical? Now of course its a mock up. But if I can save myself some money somewhere that would be awsome. Ive got a great handful of topfuel engines and parts. But they are all the same except the bagged blowers on the newer floppers

Don't really want to be "That Guy", but I'm going to point it out anyways. Jeff Lutz's '57 is Twin Turbo, not SuperCharged.

IMAG0399.jpg

Allot of trivial mock up and reaserch now. Ive got microscale wheels, mas machined blower kit, protec fittings and line and a truckload of styrene as I have none and my so called lhs barely carries kits glue and paint.

Still trying to figure out how to run a electric water pump with radiator and an altinator

allen, i'm guessing you mean an electric pump that is mounted to the block? are you aware that you can have an eletric pump that is in line or even mounted to the radiator? that would ease your problem of running a mechanical pump off the front of the motor.

680wp3621_zpsca7feae1.jpg

just as an fyi. front driven mags and such are generally driven with a belt (sometimes enclosed) not a chain.

the alt. can be driven off a mandrel bolted to the front of the crank.

if you need pics. i'm sure i have some somewhere.

Omg thanks comp! But as for the mags I just assumed it would be chain rather than belt (for timing reasons). Never had allot of deep exposure to the sport as a kid more or less watch and look. Ive build plenty of sbc's but never had a chance to build for performance.

So if im wrong or off in anyway please tell me the parts are not cheap and I want to get it right.

SO many builds here are phenomenal! Yall are the real inspirations

Don't really want to be "That Guy", but I'm going to point it out anyways. Jeff Lutz's '57 is Twin Turbo, not SuperCharged.

IMAG0399.jpg

Jeffs car is twin turbo with twin fuel systems. But its only inspiration for mine.

200mph street legal 57 but with a blower.

His is also a coupe and im using revells sedan for the body

Jeffs car is twin turbo with twin fuel systems. But its only inspiration for mine.

200mph street legal 57 but with a blower.

His is also a coupe and im using revells sedan for the body

Understood. I just didn't want to come on here sounding like a rude person, and make the build not fun for you. It's an AMAZING car. when he was in Oklahoma for Drag Week, I got to meet him and see his car when he was down. It was the same year that RoadKill on YouTube did their HRDW episode, and he broke the sprag in his Trans. BEAUTIFUL in person.