Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford "Sleeper"

Evilbenny

Just completed this kit for a local contest. The 57 Ford was our chosen common kit this year and I wanted to build something different. The car is basically box stock but, I added the engine and trans from the Revell Saleen kit to give it a little spice. In reality this car would probably not handle very well since I did not update the brakes, suspension or steering, but this is just a kit and I had fun building it. I was really surprised when I won second place this weekend with it.

Nice looking model. Extra clean! It reminds me of a real 57 sleeper I found pics of when doing some 57 Ford research. That one was all black, had standard, large, tires all around with steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps on all four. Totally stock inside including a column shifter. Under the hood was a Ford 427 SOHC engine with a single four-barrel and a C6 automatic. Now, that would be a fun car to drive!

That's what I call a great car, and you did it justice on the build of the model.

I like the stance, the color, the hubcaps on the front, but didn't like the engine choice. As a maniac Y-Blocker I know that a hopped up Y can be more powerful than almost any modern mill, and they sound just too great to replace, at least on a real car. Like this is a model, I'll give you a pass :lol:

Very well done!!!

Very nice indeed! Very plausible, looks like an "Old Lady car" that someone got ahold of and turned into a sleeper. Gray Baskerville and a few other Hot Rod writers used to call them an "Uncle Daniel", they also called well preserved stockers that too. Sort of the best of both worlds a car that looks like stock yet goes like stink! Did I mention that I really like your model! It's cool.

There's an older guy who shows up at the local A & W Cruise night who almost specializes in sleepers. He's had a '57 Olds with the J2 Rocket Motor it still had the stock upholstery covered by clear vinyl seat covers, an almost everything delete '55 Fairlane with 428 Super Cobra Jet, currently has a sorta faded green 61 Biscane with dog dish hubcaps, duel 4 barrel 409 in it that was supposed to have come out of a "well known" California Super Stocker sometime in the early '70's. One of those guys you look at who doesn't look like a car guy at all or like he would have the money to play the car game at the level he does. All his cars are quiet almost sedate sounding. Sleepers are and will always be cool!

Whenever I drive my Cooper-ized Mini to a cruise night he almost always parks by me and talks my leg off about racing Minis in the '60's, he knows what he's talking about too. He always tells me that a real Mini Cooper is the Fastest Ten Feet Money Can Buy!