Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMC model car promo poster!

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Atmobil said:

No there is something that Round 2 could start doing with the reissues, put posters with the boxarts in the boxes!!:D

Agreed! At least they would be somewhat useful. I wouldn't mind hanging them on the wall of my model room, but the little boxes are pretty much useless. I don't know what to do with them. I did like the stickers for the short time they were available, though.

25 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Agreed! At least they would be somewhat useful. I wouldn't mind hanging them on the wall of my model room

Round2, or at least the Autoworld Store, has released a few posters, but I've only been able to find two on eBay. One of the sellers told me they were included with a case purchase of kits, so I'm still not sure how many were made, or who the target audience was for the posters. They are worth seeking out, though, and mounted inside a decent picture frame they display rather nicely IMHO:

WP_20180326_012.thumb.jpg.51aa095e9a3ca2b232223ed809b79ee9.jpg

WP_20180326_013.thumb.jpg.6797535d726de5f31349d1bde276bf7e.jpg

WP_20180326_014.thumb.jpg.8d3ca2b6669b68cb1161d917c2e1b39a.jpg

the little boxes are pretty much useless. I don't know what to do with them.

Cut out, assemble, and display them, as Round2 intended:

WP_20180326_011.thumb.jpg.f107ea5f4d08619296ccb6115f7c14dd.jpg

I did like the stickers for the short time they were available, though.

Same here, but the adhesive on the early MPC and AMT logo stickers was not strong enough, and all but one of mine came loose. The AMT/SC and Sreet Rods stickers seem to have fared the best, but I have yet to apply the Hurst sticker, and never acquired one of the Kenworth KW stickers.

I don't have these (yet), but they are similar to the above Nova and '40 Ford posters, though am I unsure of their size(s):

TVIvoposter.jpg.bf0eb54c8bf220884dbfaee93b9ced07.jpg

amt63catalinaposter.jpg.0ee5d62097f148008338cb983aed4777.jpg

Edited by Casey

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Psychographic said:

Was the Mod Rod a reworked Ala Kart?

It still had the Ala Kart version included, decals and all.  The late Sixties box art (two of them) just emphasized other versions that could be built using optional parts included in the kit.  AMT owned the car from '61 or '62 through around 1970, so they didn't have to pay royalties to anyone.

23 hours ago, Casey said:

WP_20180326_014.thumb.jpg.8d3ca2b6669b68cb1161d917c2e1b39a.jpg

Same here, but the adhesive on the early MPC and AMT logo stickers was not strong enough, and all but one of mine came loose.

I have a copy of the Ivo poster above. I figure the target audience for these were the shops the kits were sold in.

Regarding the stickers, I experienced weak stickum as well. I stuck mine to the wooden box I use to lug my models to model shows, but a couple of them curled up and fell off after a couple of weeks. The 'Street Rods' and 'MPC' stickers were the worst of mine,  but the 'AMT' and 'Kat from AMT" have fared well.

• 10 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Bainford said:

The 'Street Rods' and 'MPC' stickers were the worst of mine,  but the 'AMT' and 'Kat from AMT" have fared well.

Hmmm, the AMT and Kat stickers I had didn't hold up, but the AMT/SC, Street Rods (from the '09 '49 Ford reissue?), and Hurst (from the '69 Hurst/Olds) have:

IMG_20190207_173326.thumb.jpg.78d3bc37eb577b996115238082b9c74c.jpg

There were also Kenworth logo stickers in case anyone is collecting them all:

KWsticker.jpg

Back to posters, was this (these?) available as a poster size wall calendar in 1968? An ebay seller offered these as reprints a few years ago, but I was never quite sure what the original poster/calendar was, nor what the exact size was:

amt68calendar1.jpg

amt68calendar2.jpg

I have seen the various "GIANT"(!!???) Monogram posters on eBay, too:

MonogramGiantPostersMA.jpg

MonoBeeRBaronPosterMailAway.jpg

For the Pyro fans out there...:

e33f513d-b3f6-4c73-bebe-eb943714e569.jpg

Edited by Casey

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

From a simple question about an IMC psychedelic poster - thread quickly became an interesting topic on forgotten model car posters. 

I hope more show up on here, these are so cool!

Good to see others also taking an interest in the non-plastic side of the hobby, so to speak. I think things like advertising posters, sales sheets, instruction sheets, flyers, etc. tend to get dismissed for various reasons, but they do hold some value for some, especially those with a legitimate interest in discussing and learning more about the history of the hobby. Considering most paper items tend to be much less durable and preserved than actual plastic kit parts, and attrition become a factor, too.

• 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:15 PM, DerthDeboblo said:

I don't care all that much about the IMC aspect, but it would go great with my collection of vintage car mags (Hot Rod/Car Craft/Drag Racing Illustrated) and my love for all things vintage drag racing. ^_^

Found 3 of those mags at a flea market today!  All from 1955-1957. I really like the "little" magazines from that era. Two of these got bigger later on, Car Craft and Rod & Custom.

7-3-19a.JPG

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...