Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Beetle with an twist.

om617

I know many have opinions on how a sleeper should be,but here is mine.

Dull original beetle on the outside.

002-1.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

Stuffed with some italian 390hp 500nm lump of aluminium.

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Some dull non-metallic grey or green would be lovely,and try make the exhaust not show to much.

Edited by om617

Tommy, that definitely fits the description of sleeper no matter where your from. When I was in high school (a long long time ago) there were a few people I knew who had plain-jane looking cars but had killer engines. They used to embarrass more than of few of the prancers- the all show and no go cars. It was fun to watch them smoke unsuspecting victims. :D

1966 Volkswagen Beetle:

Curb weight 1672 Lbs/758kg.

50hp

0-60mph 23 sec.

Standing 402m 22 sec.

1984 Ferrari Testarossa:

Curb weight 3320 Lbs/1506kg

390hp

0-60mph 5,2 sec.

Standing 402m 13,5 sec. (Motor Trend)

The numbers says fun right there.

Mike: Yes the Testarossa sounds wonderful with some decent exhaust. But it`s not really a high rev engine.

I think it gives full power at 6500rpm and full torque at 4000 or so. I enjoy v8`s but it`s everywhere so it makes

it a little bit more excotic with an flat12.

Jason: Engine comes from Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa,i belive it`s an 1984 model,first series of these cars.

Yeah you better use an helmet if you where to drive an old Lamborghini Miura,this or when you get low on

fuel at hight speed you pretty much had no steering haha. But it`s so beautiful i would not care if i cought

fire in one.

58impala: That sounds really fun. Glad you like the idea,and the thing with sleepers is to not give away

any clues what hiding under the metal. It`s better to be humble,you never know what could blow your

doors off.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Half the weight of the 'Rari and 8 times the power of the Bug.

YES !!!

Bill beat me to that same observation. It would be rather rapid….. :blink:

Great idea and a nice execution so far. Please, post more as it goes together. That is one sick ride I think we'd ALL like to see finished! B)

Thanks guys.

Don,you are right on the rear tires,and i have another set of these wheels wich will be "welded" for the

rear,only inwards,and widen to close to double the size of the original.

Did an attempt at detail and blackwash on the engine,noticed how JC Reckner did on his 914/6.

001-1.jpg

002.jpg

Should used black or red wires but i dont feel like waiting 14days when i had these.

Will try to take more pics when i get the frame primed. Looks kinda bad with lots of gluespots,sanding etc.

Next up is exhaust,two radiators and two coils,wire the alternator and starter,or attempt at.

Edited by om617

Great idea , but what are you going to use for the counter weight up front. :)

Good question. I dont think it would be too bad since most of the weight is in front of the rear. Also the

transmission you cant see (under the engine) is mostly in front of rear axle. Two radiators will be at

front,also the fuel tank. The rear suspension is also reinforced by coil overs intended for the Testarossa

weight. I`m not that good with math,but in theory it should not be worse than the original lump hanging

far behind the rear wheels.

This was just meant to be crazy and fun,not really for chasing laptimes on a track.

Good question. I dont think it would be too bad since most of the weight is in front of the rear. Also the

transmission you cant see (under the engine) is mostly in front of rear axle. Two radiators will be at

front,also the fuel tank. The rear suspension is also reinforced by coil overs intended for the Testarossa

weight. I`m not that good with math,but in theory it should not be worse than the original lump hanging

far behind the rear wheels.

Fill the spare tyre with concrete or water ! This is an old Stock / Super Stock trick from the 1960's . For that matter , even the transverse-mount muffler on 1963-1965 Coronet / Savoy / Belvedere 'Stockers were filled with concrete or Pb by the car's owners / operators .

This is one sweet project , Tommy !

As many times as I have seen that Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen , and have perused its contents , I have not yet dedicated my-self to purchasing one . You , my friend , have changed my mind !

Looks like I will be adding this to my "must have" list :) .

Keep up the excellent work !

Got some done last night. Made room for cooling in front of the car. Having the radiator inside the car would

make an awful place to be,also no place for hot air to escape. Also got the engine electronics in front.

001-2.jpg

008.jpg

002-2.jpg

Not sure if you can see,but the flat black thing that stick out is the air intake for the original flat12. I will try make this

fit with where you grab to open the rear hatch. This so it does not give away any clues as in huge air intakes.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Here is just an mock up of the firewall,interior door panels and will figure out something at the rear as well.

013.jpg