Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Beetle with an twist.

om617

Fill the spare tyre with concrete or water ! This is an old Stock / Super Stock trick from the 1960's . For that matter , even the transverse-mount muffler on 1963-1965 Coronet / Savoy / Belvedere 'Stockers were filled with concrete or Pb by the car's owners / operators .

This is one sweet project , Tommy !

As many times as I have seen that Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen , and have perused its contents , I have not yet dedicated my-self to purchasing one . You , my friend , have changed my mind !

Looks like I will be adding this to my "must have" list :) .

Keep up the excellent work !

Hehe! As for now i doubt there will be room for any spare tire. But it is cool to learn some blast from the past.

I`m glad you see it this way,as for myself i felt bad for chop into this great kit at first. You should get one,or

even several now as they still are very affordable. I got two of Ebay for $30 including shipping.

Thank you for the inspireing words. :)

For anyone who might wonder,this is an excellent kit with no cut corners or molded in stuff,it`s all detail.

Some plumbing done,cooling hoses run thru inside of the car instead of dragging under.

001-3.jpg

This bracket will be on the firewall facing backwards. It hold two coils,oil filter and dry sump oil container.

I forgot to paint the oil fill cap,will get onto it.

003-2.jpg

Here is ca how it will sit.

002-3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Long between updates,mostly because i have no place to paint at the moment. Sun was there some days ago so got the chassis

painted. Also did a test of color on some parts. I noticed i have bought the wrong paint,PS instead of TS,typical my luck.

Done some mock up of the hoses for cooling,will run about as shown on pictures. The radiator is not mounted,only mock-up.

Engine is mounted to chassis,next up is the exhaust,wire for battery,oilfilter,drysump etc.

Some pics.

005-1.jpg

004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

I would advise against using the PS paint...do a search on my Karmann Ghia project of a couple years ago for some idea what that PS stuff is gonna do unless your luck is way better than mine.

way kool build by the way; I've got a Tamiya bug kit that I was going to put a twin turbo Mazda rotary engine into...looks like I got beat to the punch line with this massive motor!

jb

We had a few beetles over 10 years or so and to keep the front end down to enhance the steering we put the spare wheel on top of the fuel tank and put a large plastic bag full of wet sand where the spare wheel normally sits right in the nose!

It's a nice thought to give the beetle a bit more power, but if you use the standard wheels and tyres, when the drop the clutch the torque will tear the rear tyres away from the rims!

Nice build by the way it shows a bit of imagination, which is what we modelmakers are about.

Thanks for all the comments. I guess the whole thing can be "scaled" down to one word,ridicolous :)

Did some exhaust work last night,i have not decided on how to end it but would want it to look close

to stock. As it is now i can still close the rear hatch with no gaps.

001-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

002-5.jpg

What a wild and crazy project....I love it! Should give muscle cars pulling up next to it a rude surprise when the light turns green :lol:

BTW, the PS paint is made for polycarbonate (lexan) bodyshells which are clear and meant to be sprayed on the inside. The paint dries to a matt or semi gloss and is flexible. However, you can polish it after it's fully cured but it won't give you the super deep shine. I was forced to use it on the bonnet of my last project because Tamiya doesn't make the colour (Corsa Grey) in TS:

AbarthBuild260_zps280834a2.jpg

The paint is simply rubbed out without any clear coat. Anyway, I will definitely be watching along with the others. :)

• 2 months later...

Well one thing went to another so it now looks a little less innocent. Going with red or white

interior. Need to run some hoses for the dry-sump and oil filter,also wires for the electronics

in front. Just small stuff before it maby can go under glass.

004-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

Thanks.

There is more wire and plumbing on these pasta engines then i hoped for,but getting there.

Will need handbrake,shifter,some clamps for the air intake hose and organize the wires a

little nicer,and some other little things,then i think it`s more or less ready. I figure i have to

stop fondle or it will never end lol

011.jpg