Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recommendations for pewter paint?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Years ago, Odds & Ends actually offered a pewter, but they are virtuallyn impossible to find now. (Can't even find 'em on ebay or Amazon). There are also some home-decorating paints (Rustoleum, Krylon) that have a pewter shade, but also feature a hammered finish, which is not what I'd want for a car model.

So, any suggestions? I prefer to work with enamels, but I can deal with acrylics and lacquers as well.

Part numbers and pics of something painted in your suggested shades would be greatly appreciated.

This paint is intended to be the sole body color for a future build & should look something like this.

DSCN0809.JPG

Edited by Monty

Posted · Report post

Well Micheals art surplice store still sells Odds & Ends paint

Posted · Report post

Here's what I used from American Traditions. It just looks like another shade of gray to me.pewter007_zps4e8a52a1.jpgpewter009_zps60d2e7ce.jpgpewter005_zps517cc993.jpgpewter003_zps85c7f306.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you're looking for a simulated metal finish, I'd suggest Rub-N-Buff. You apply it with your finger and buff it to a very convincing metalized look. it comes in little tubes and is available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Half-oz-Rub-N-Buff-Pewter-Finish-Tube-P1Hears a link to multiple projects. https://www.google.com/search?q=rub+n+buff+pewter&client=firefox-a&hs=NQr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NsMgU8-4G5CvkAeX8YBY&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1600&bih=746#imgdii=_

Teators Buffing Metalizer spray-lacquer in either magnesium or titanium would also make a "pewter" like finish. $%28KGrHqV,%21okFDyjn6GyEBRMzyIrVp%21~~6

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Posted · Report post

The ;32 looks like Tamiya light Graphite, that I sprayed a model with.

Posted · Report post

Model Master Buffing Gunmetal Metalizer, my closest guess.

Posted · Report post

Duplicolor has one that is close, It's called bright platinum metallic, I used it for an Eleanor gt500 build, it's real color name is pepper gray metallic. Very similar to the color in the pic.