Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bottled Clear Coats

I'm approaching paint on my Barracuda build. I have a full bottle of Scale Finishes L1 Turquoise to replicate my color. Can I shoot Tamiya Acrylic Clear over it? I don't want to use a rattle can over the A/B finish, yet I don't have the ability to obtain enough automotive clear to make it cost effective. If not the Tamiya (which I already have) is there anything bottled that gives decent results? I'm not looking for that "ten feet deep" finish, but rather Fisher-Price simplicity.

Thanks!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks everyone for replying. OK, as per Scale Finishes site Acrylic clear will work over their paint. My next question was going to be what to thin it with. After Googling for answers (I got multiple answers…..) I'm headed out to my LHS to buy Tamiya thinner for the clear to play it safe.

I'm NOT painting a THIRD body!! <_<

Edited by FASTBACK340

I know the initial investment for a qt. of automotive clear is a lot compared to a small bottle of hobby clear, but when you compare them ounce for ounce, the hobby clear is WAY more money. Clear is something you use on almost every paintjob, so to me it makes sense to invest wisely. Add the shipping costs or the cost of gas each time you need another 1-2 once bottle of clear and the cost really skyrockets.

Check your local auto body supply houses for "off brands" many of them are made by the major paint suppliers. One brand that comes to mind is Nason, they make a great clear and it's considerably cheaper than Dupont, PPG, Sikkens, and other major brands. Also look to see if they have a house brand, these get even cheaper. I can buy a qt. of house brand urethane clear with the activator for the price of about 8 ounces of clear lacquer from the hobby shop. That does NOT include the price of gas or shipping.

Another cheap alternative is Duplicolor's pre thinned qts. of lacquer at about $30. These can be bought at Auto Zone, Advance, etc.. They take a bit of getting used to and need to be thinned a bit more for airbrush use. I found you need to apply very thin coats allowing each coat to flash. I bought the basics for base colors, black, white, silver and the clear. I rarely use the clear other than for temporary sealing of a color.

Paint is NOT cheap to start with and the little bottles of hobby paint are astronomical.

Edited by Psychographic

Dave: I know buying it by the ounce is always more expensive, It's just that tomorrow I start working for an automotive restoration shop. I'm sure I'll get to know the paint dept. eventually, so I *might* have a source of SMALL quantities of 'the good stuff" in the future.

Joseph: The Tamiya clear states it's Acrylic on the label. I believe the number is TS-20 or 22….. I can confirm later when I go upstairs. I was out doing house & dog food shopping and was near the LHS. Otherwise, it IS a bit of a drive through several congested towns on a 2 lane road thats shared w/ commercial vehicles. It's about 7 miles of pure annoyance. Believe me, I try and plan my LHS visits wisely (like today….).

Thanks for the replies from everyone. I'm going to experiment with the Scale Finish product w/ the Acrylic clear coat. I need a smooth, realistic finish, not candy-coating like a custom.

John, here's a few pics of cars I clearcoated with Tamiya's Acrylic Clear. As Jeff mentioned it's the X-22 on the label.

Pa231903-vi.jpg

PA231899-vi.jpg

P3041192-vi.jpg

These were both cleared over automotive paints (the 'Vette was lacquer, the Magnum acrylic enamel), and they still look good today with no cracking or other funny stuff. One caveat I can give you is that if you're doing a white car, I would let the clear setup a bit before putting it in the dehydrator to speed things up. Tamiya Clear I've found tends to yellow quickly in areas where the paint likes to gather, such as door lines, fender creases, etc.

Hope this helps!

No need to spend the big bucks for Tamiya thinner, I just use cheap 91% isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore

Hmmm..........Unless I was doing something wrong, I tried using isopropyl alcohol in the clear one time, and it fisheyed! :angry:

Now this was a looong time ago (20 years maybe?}, perhaps Tamiya's changed the formula since then? I've used their thinner and never had a problem.

I'm planning on using the Acrylic clear over the Scale Finishes paint on my Barracuda build.

Thanks for everyone's input. And Bill, that Magnum wagon is sweet !

Thanks John!

Another caveat is when rubbing out the clear, I would dry sand it as opposed to wetsanding it. This is water based stuff, and wetsanding it may lead to some funny stuff. I don't mean the comical kind either! I've done it this way on the builds you see there and while it was more work, the results paid off with the clearcoat remaining intact after rubbing and polishing it out.

Hmmm..........Unless I was doing something wrong, I tried using isopropyl alcohol in the clear one time, and it fisheyed! :angry:

Some isopropyl alcohol labeled as "rubbing" alcohol contains lanolin and fragrance- usually it's the 70% version, and yes it will fisheye. I haven't had that problem with the 91% stuff.

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought the Tamiya thinner today just because I only have so much of the air brush ready paint and I don't want to kill it. As it is I'm taking a huge leap of faith and air brushing the body. I've only done about a half dozen so far, although every one was nicer that rattle cans, which are soooooo convenient!

We should be in paint by the weekend…. <fingers crossed>