Model Cars Magazine Forum

Subaru Sambar 5/4/17 last mock up

Cool project. I see that the chassis in this kit is quite nicely detailed. I wonder if i could fit under the older Subaru Sambar van that Aoshima got. That old kit has no chassidetails at all.

Probably a good chance of a fit, but can't say for sure. I thought all Aoshima/s Sambar's were from same basis .. maybe Tom Geiger knows.

This got sidetrackes a little but it's still right up front on my bench. Holidays and a '49 Merc Woody are fighting for time. I was starting final assembly so I'm actually expecting a completion! :lol:

Edited by Foxer

Probably a good chance of a fit, but can't say for sure. I thought all Aoshima/s Sambar's were from same basis .. maybe Tom Geiger knows.

This got sidetrackes a little but it's still right up front on my bench. Holicays and a '49 Merc Woody are fighting for time. I was starting final assembly so I'm actually expecting a completion! :lol:

The old style Subaru Sambar that I got is this kit:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10030261n/40/1

The chassis on that is like a toycar.

This was parked in a mall parking lot on Black Friday

mini_zps240f51fb.jpg

Interesting! How are these legal to drive in your state? I know you can't license them for the road here in the East. They are used for work within large facilities here. Within the past 6 months I saw a Suzuki Carry pickup for sale here in PA for $2500. The ad did say it wasn't legal for registration. Still, it was low mile and perfect! I was tempted even though I could only drive it up and down my driveway!

What exactly is it that are making them not legal for registration? And how come that cars that are not legal on the road are still being sold?

Here in Norway, a car must be legal for registration if it is to be sold here. You could possibly import a illigal car privatley but you will never be able to use it anywhere (some cars can be testdriven on temporary "plates" (stickers) that are valid only for one or two days).

What exactly is it that are making them not legal for registration? And how come that cars that are not legal on the road are still being sold?

Here in Norway, a car must be legal for registration if it is to be sold here. You could possibly import a illigal car privatley but you will never be able to use it anywhere (some cars can be testdriven on temporary "plates" (stickers) that are valid only for one or two days).

DSC00008-vi.jpg

A small vehicle like this will not pass the US crash testing. We don't have any secondary class of registration for small city vehicles. The small pickups like these are sold for use on private property. The one above is used as a maintenance department vehicle on the Rowan University campus. DisneyWorld in Florida has scores of these on their property as utility vehicles. I've worked for 3 companies that had 100 plus acres of property that we used electric vehicles (like golf carts) to get around.

• 1 year later...

I'm going for it, but the diorama display will be after the New Year I expect

Just everything resting on the chassis for a fit check. Many decals need reapplying, I'll never use this decal paper again.

Subaru%20workup%20sml%20DSC_2149_zps1clq

Edited by Foxer

Mike,

This is a cool project .And I like where you are going with it.

Over here in the Philippines . There are lots of these type of  "mini" trucks. They are called multicabs. As the can be found with all types of bodies on them . From your single cab pick up, to a double cab pick up a van, doub;e cab van w/small pick up box on the back, And of course what is called a jeepney style or multicab mini bus type vehicle. That is a major from of transportation throughout Asia .

I am not 100% sure but I don't know if you can buy a brand new one here. Due to import regulations and Customs duties. They ship used vehicles of this type and others from Japan , Korea etc  That are disassembled , and that are rebuilt here in the Philippines. This in itself is a big business.

As for the crash test. Just let me say." You do not want to be in one in any type of crash, but especially a head on crash ".

And If you are a person with a wide body or are over say 6' tall you will be extremely uncomfortable in one. 

All this said they are robust vehicle that seem to do the job.

Be Well

Gator

Interesting! How are these legal to drive in your state? I know you can't license them for the road here in the East. They are used for work within large facilities here. Within the past 6 months I saw a Suzuki Carry pickup for sale here in PA for $2500. The ad did say it wasn't legal for registration. Still, it was low mile and perfect! I was tempted even though I could only drive it up and down my driveway!

I am not sure to be honest.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to make it last year, 2016, but it's in the final assembly stage so I'm happy. Bed is glued and drying with a little weight in it.

I have to make the diorama base so it can be displayed in my daughter's place of business.

• 2 weeks later...

The truck only needs the wipers, mirrors and bed stakes. Work on the dio has commenced  with Smooth It road and side ground. Will have dirt ground with some plantings ... not enough dio work here to warrant a static grass machine.

I have some small trees and looking for a tree bottom cut off at the cover with interesting root arrangement.-

The dogs and my son-in-law in charge of Dog-Walks will be scattered around.

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt anyone believes I have been working on this, even the hour a day or so I manage ... :D  The diorama on the case has been new to me, despite following HO Railroad construction as long as I've been on cars. The wood base is taped off and the road was done with pavement tape and Woodland Scenic products including the blacktop paint. Smooth It was placed roughly on the remaining areas with real sifted dirt and some fine grass. A trail leads off to the left for the dogs. The tree will be a young fir. I wanted to put the base of a full size tree at one corner but I'd have to sculpt it myself and this would never get done.

The truck only needs the wipers and mirrors added for completion!

diorama%20DSC_2180_zpsghzwrygj.jpg

diorama%20DSC_2182_zpsyarjzt3e.jpg

Edited by Foxer

• 4 weeks later...

This has bee moving as fast as grass grows, but this is a big stage for me. I've worried about color-matching-paint on a resin stump to match a real dried twig posing as the tree.

I'm satisfied   :D

I can start moving toward completion like the blowing wind.

• 1 month later...

This is my last mockup before going Under Glass! I had real trouble adding the driver side mirror, even with the brass pins I added, so I fed it to the Rottweiler ... too bad he got booted from the Pack  for this viciousness.  Paul was painted by my wife.

Mockup%20last%20DSC_2201_zpsq45c30wn.jpg

Mockup%20last%20%20DSC_2200_zps1hzos8hw.

Edited by Foxer
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

For a few years, some of the Ag/tractor dealers here in central Texas have sold these for farm and ranch use. I've even seen a couple of them tagged as trucks for road use. Not sure how they managed that, but I'd love to have one. Now they're switching to those side by side ATVs.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:54 PM, oldcarfan said:

For a few years, some of the Ag/tractor dealers here in central Texas have sold these for farm and ranch use. I've even seen a couple of them tagged as trucks for road use. Not sure how they managed that, but I'd love to have one. Now they're switching to those side by side ATVs.

It could have been one of the tiger trucks. They look similar to the japanese kei trucks. And with anything 25 years> imported, anything goes for road legal. 

http://tigertruck.com/