Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building for your 1st Big model show HELP

Hey guys I am just getting back into models and im building for the IPMS 50th anniversary show at Hampton Va in august and im kinda not real sure what to expect was going to either build in the ratrod category or like a factory muscle car category what are some main points of the build so I take into perspective .

Hey guys I am just getting back into models and im building for the IPMS 50th anniversary show at Hampton Va in august and im kinda not real sure what to expect was going to either build in the ratrod category or like a factory muscle car category what are some main points of the build so I take into perspective .

Build what makes you happy, not what everyone else builds. :)

A tip.. After you've finished the model, put it in a box for a week. Then take it out and look it over for any Dust Bunnies, glue smears, mis-aligned stuff, etc.. But get the project off your mind for a week and you'll find you're going to see things you missed.

And like everyone has said, don't take this contest stuff too seriously. IJAH! (it's just a hobby) ;)

When building for competion, don't throw every little aftermarket part you find at the model, it will not help you.

#1 thing to remember is the basics.

Seam lines removed

all 4 tires on the ground

glass is free of defects.

The list goes on, but just some advice, If you are building just to try to win something, you're building for the wrong reasons. Good luck and have fun.

Building for the IPMS Nationals is a whole different animal than any other show, guys take it very seriously and build some way over the top stuff. Having said that, cover the basics 100%, build something you think is cool, and have fun. You will see some cool ideas and some stuff built you didn't think possible, so don't expect to walk in off the street and wow the joint! If you get an award, great, but don't go in thinking you will, you will probably be disappointed. I'm planning on going, so my stuff will be out there (not that it's going to win anything!). Maybe I'll run into you down there!

Especially if you're just getting back into it, as you say, you should probably concentrate on QUALITY fit and finish (the basics) like the guys said above. Radical modifications that are poorly done, or mediocre models with a ton of aftermarket parts stuck on won't impress anyone.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build, and welcome back to the hobby.

1. Select a project within your current abilities.
  2. Build neatly and cleanly.
  3. Remove mold separation lines and injector pin marks.
  4. Glue carefully.
  5. Prepare painstakingly for paint and finish.
  6. Paint precisely.
  7. Make your model look like a miniature real car or truck.
  8. If you build out of the box, take the instruction sheet.
  9. Enjoy yourself.
  10. Winning isn't everything.

The best place to start is here: www.ipmsusa.org

click on the link to the "2014 IPMS/USA National Convention" link for the latest information on categories and rules updates.

click on "National Contest Cmt" button on the left side and then click on "Modelers Guide to IPMS Contests" link

also check out the "Forums" button for discussions on the contests, judging, etc

While you do not have to be a member of the IPMS to enter local and regional contests, the Nationals is a convention as much as a contest. You must be an IPMS member to enter.

Some guidlines from the IPMS:

Basic Construction

1. Mold lines should be removed. Any door, hood, trunk, fender or other lines visible on real cars should be visible. Any flash should be removed.
  2. Modifications to the body should appear as a natural part of the vehicle.
  3. Clear parts should be free from fogging, glue marks and fingerprints.
  4. All wheels should be aligned with each other when viewed from the top or the side. They should also contact the ground in a prototypical manner.
  5. No glue marks should be visible.

Details

1. Exhaust pipes should be drilled out.
  2. The wheel should have valve stems.
  3. Lenses like side marker lights and taillights should be represented by colored tint rather then by opaque paint.
  4. Chrome, represented by paint, aluminum or foil, should have sharp edges and consistent shine.
  5. If appropriate, the tires should be lettered.
  6. The dashboard and instruments should be detailed.
  7. The doors should have locks plates and stems, where appropriate. Seats should have adjustment levers, where appropriate.
  8. The door handles and other interior details should be painted.
  9. Details such as brake lines, fuel lines and parking brake cables should be added where appropriate.
  10. Engine details, such as ignition wiring, electrical wiring for the headlights, starter and battery. Throttle linkage and water hoses should be added.
  11. Any working parts should look real and operate realistically.

Painting and Finishing

1. The paint finish should have no “orange peel” or “egg shell” effect to it. It should be free of runs/sags, fingerprints,dust and fibers.The model should have a uniform level of glossiness to the finish.

1. If decals are used, the decals film should not be readily visible. Decals need not have the same level of glossinessas the rest of the model.
  2. The interior should be painted in a manner that looks like fabric (flat) or vinyl/leather (semi-gloss).
  3. If the model has carpet in the interior, it should de differentiated from the seat and door panels by a different color,shade or texture.
  4. Insulation on the inside of the hood should be represented by paint or by material.
  5. Appropriate decals should be added to the engine components like the battery and the oil filter

First, you need to address all of the basics involved in building a plastic model. Once you have all that down pat, build whatever you want to build. If you want to do well at an IPMS (actually, any) event, get your model to look as much like the real thing as possible. The model that doesn't look like a model will always catch the attention of onlookers.

Edited by johnbuzzed

Thanks guys I appreciate the help I never really been to a big show like this not really going to win anything but I would be totally stoked if I did. I am a very average builder think I got all the basics pretty much down I can turnout a pretty nice box stock model with a few mods like lowering the stance and swapping out some aftermarket wheels and air cleaners stuff like that whats new to me is BMF kinda scared to try it I do really good paint work so I may stick to just painting the trim with my handy dandy paint marker ill try to get some pics of my finished nova im taking to are show at my local hobbytown which its a hr away but oh well lol closest I got .... any recommendations on a cheap but good airbrush setup ?

Well guys I chose my car tonight I have always been a huge Camaro fan and love the historic ones which now a days anything pre 1980s is but I think im going to give the repop of the 70 split bumper Baldwin motion Camaro a shot I have always loved the split bumper Camaros and well a big block Baldwin motion styling package makes them that much better ! Im going to do a step by step build on the thread I hope some of you that commented on this will keep up with it and throw a few ideas out or lend a hand and help me make corrections if you see something that just isn't right thanks guys !!!!

Edited by Alger1x

Again build for you, not the show. This cannot be stressed enough.

As stated, master the basics, perfect your style, build what you want, when you want to build it.

Keep pushing yourself. Try new things, the internet is your friend.

I treat every completed model as practise for the next. Rarely, if ever do I revisit a model and add to it. I just push it and try new things on the next kit.

G

Edited by Agent G

I'm not sure that entering an IPMS event is the best idea for a guy just getting back into model building. It's sort of like a "weekend warrior" competing in the Olympics. The IPMS boys take their model building very seriously.

Maybe a better idea to start out in a slightly less competitive arena, like a local hobby shop or club-sponsored contest.

Take some photos of the work you are doing and look at them as your build progresses. You may very well see things in the photo that your eyes might miss with the project right in front of you. I heard it on the radio, so it must be true. Right?

Harry makes a good point...the IPMS guys are pretty serious but also they can be a good source of honest feedback. If you can talk to the judges after the show and ask them what you could do to improve. Ive never heard anyones models being bashed but they will point out flaws you probably didnt know where even there. Dont take anything personal. Try and talk to the guys who are taking home the trophys, almost all are very approachable and will offer feedback and tips if asked for a honest opinion. I personally enjoy both the IPMS judged shows and the NNL style "hangouts" but i lean toward IPMS because of a competetive nature. Have fun but dont get to caught up with winning or even placing it will come if you dedicate yourself.

I had not built anything in about 15 years then I had finally able to purchased my second house with a 3 car garage which gave me the space to start building again. I'm not a fast builder but did complete 2 builds last year and 1 this year so far. So I made the trek to Santa Clara (NNL West ) again with the three builds to show and I was a little apprehensive on showing them since I have never shown any of my built models before and all three builds where basically box stock with just a few mods and a few scratch built parts. To my surprise the Lamborghini Aventador that I was showing was selected to be photographed ! plus I had a great time meeting a lot of new people who like to build and talk about model car building.

So just build to your liking and just have fun with it !

Edited by Metalmad

Awesome feedback guys love it !!!! I appreciate all the comments I have taking this all to heart I live in a very small town we don't have model shows much less hobby stores so im kinda relying on the internet now for even resources for my plastic addiction lol I do plan to enter my nova I just built in are hobbytown usa show in Winchester va but other than that its the only big show we have I think it will be a very humbling experience but also a very fun educational experience I don't really think I have a shot at winning anything but its gonna be fun forsure. I love this hobby I put my 1st car together when I 5 years old I still remember it was a amt 70 challenger R/T was plum crazy purple and im 23 now so I have always had a passion for this hobby and I am a car fanatic doesn't matter the make if it was badass I loved it !

If building with added details I suggest getting in some internet research and save photos and illustrations to your computer for reference during your build process, printing them later is an option and you can in some cases magnify sections you need better view of.

Adding details is great and shows extra effort, I'm guessing IPMS contests give preference to details that are correct/realistic to the function. (I've heard the term "rivet counters"...) :)

If this is not the way you build then (as stated before) build what makes you happy.

Harry's got a good point. An IPMS event is definitely not the place to start. If you want to be competitive, you can't just build for yourself and be happy for one of these events. That philosophy is all well and good for an NNL type event or your shelves, but it won't hold up well in IPMS competition. You might want to check out the entries on tables before you actually enter a model for competition; they might have a "display only" section, too.

Awesome feedback guys love it !!!! I appreciate all the comments I have taking this all to heart I live in a very small town we don't have model shows much less hobby stores so im kinda relying on the internet now for even resources for my plastic addiction lol I do plan to enter my nova I just built in are hobbytown usa show in Winchester va but other than that its the only big show we have I think it will be a very humbling experience but also a very fun educational experience I don't really think I have a shot at winning anything but its gonna be fun forsure. I love this hobby I put my 1st car together when I 5 years old I still remember it was a amt 70 challenger R/T was plum crazy purple and im 23 now so I have always had a passion for this hobby and I am a car fanatic doesn't matter the make if it was badass I loved it !

I think you have the right attitude and that should make the ipms contest a positve experience. I would suggest loking at building for the box stock class since you only need to be cocerned with the basics. You will have to check what is allowed. Do the best job on your model you can and be proud of it. Every modeler has been at your level before. Ask lots of questions and learn. Most of all have fun! Edited by bobthehobbyguy