Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dom's Charger Fast Five Build Update 5-01-13 Finished

TFchronos

Man, I love the fact you can move the turn indicators back, primer it and it looks like it was made that way.

You have any advice for sanding the fill putty and scribing out door panels where putty filled them?

Thanks! I use Bondo brand spot putty so when I start sanding I use 500 grit until I get the rough off then move to something between 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper for smoothing it out. As for scribing lines, what I use is the blunt end of the hobby knife and just try to be as careful as possible. I think they make tools to make that easier but I haven't tried any.

Thanks Carl!

Another update, added some hood latch plates to the hood, cut out with scissors from aluminum tape. Not the best thing ever seen but atleast it gets the job done. :)

Post102_zps5ea448c1.jpg

Also got the dash board made.

Post103_zpsc0206800.jpg

Some more interior work done.

Post101_zps71129a48.jpg

And finally a little preview of the engine, mostly dressed.

Post104_zpsd7e2e129.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos

Nice build Jonathan, looking good!

With Shapeways, I have found that using thier FUD material, especially for wheels, will give you the smooth surface & detail desired, also if you create your STL file with all 4 wheels in a single sprue, will save you $ from printing 4 wheels seperately

Nice build Jonathan, looking good!

With Shapeways, I have found that using thier FUD material, especially for wheels, will give you the smooth surface & detail desired, also if you create your STL file with all 4 wheels in a single sprue, will save you $ from printing 4 wheels seperately

Thanks for the compliment and advice on material Jeremy, I'll try that next time. Yeah I made everything I needed onto a single sprue right before ordering out of curiosity and was surprised at how much cheaper it was. I had all four wheels for the Charger, the two front rims for the Fast Five 72' Skyline and four rims for my next project made for less than the cost of just two of the Chargers rims had I ordered them separately. I'll definitely do that again in the future.

Thanks Stan, Bradley and Ray!

Very nice, I still haven't seen the movie, I need to one of these days.

Thanks Jason! Out of the six so far it's my personal favorite, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

very nice build! i meant to ask you during the F&F tribute build, on what you used for the grille mesh? it is like perfect scale

Thanks Jacob, it's .006 dia brass screen, I found it on ebay a while back. The Dollar Tree also has a fine mesh screen strainer for cooking, I keep forgetting to buy one when I'm there but I think it's the same size.

I actually just saw the movie for the first time last night and I had seen this post before seeing the movie and I have to say it looks really really good and dang close to the movie. I just have to ask why does Dom's nice American muscle car always get hit by something and destroyed.

Thank you Ira and Danno!

I actually just saw the movie for the first time last night and I had seen this post before seeing the movie and I have to say it looks really really good and dang close to the movie. I just have to ask why does Dom's nice American muscle car always get hit by something and destroyed.

Thanks Nick, I tried to get it as close as I could. It was said in the first movie that the car was cursed and then mentioned again in the fourth. That's why it keeps getting trashed, it's the the only thing I hate about the movies. It's always painful to watch it happen.