Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gathering advice for my first shot (1/43 AMT)

kukuruznik

Hello everyone!

This is going to be my first try in plastic scale modeling!

Im an developing fan of classic cars and all that stuff. Have a small collection personal favorites in 1/43's and 1/64's and recently got my hands on one of my muscle car fav's - the 1969 Chevelle.

This model is not replicated in 1/43 by anyone, except for the AMT kit which I have, so I've signed up myself for some adventure!

I did some diecast repaints before and tried the BMF so the though of the shaker can approach or foiling dosent scare me.

Nonethelss, since this is a plastic body, I though I'd turn to your expertise here!

So first...pic of my kit, and some motivational photos. I believe one is the work of our forum colleague, stevehansen, and the other of a japanese (?) builder.

So my first concern to get it painted, pick a color combo and achieve that nice shiny surface.

Here are my questions:

- Im from Canada and going to use the Krylon rattle can paint. It can do its job, I've checked on metal diecast, but in dealing with plastic want to be sure.

Apart from using the primer, what is the technique? Specifically I'm interested in how many levels its best to paint a plastic kit - 1-2 wet coats, or rather several more mist coats?

How does the buffing and wet sanding procedure work?

If I got paint wrong, can I put in in Circa 1850 paint remover, or should I use less active paint stripper?

Can I paint with in a garage with +10 celcius degrees? Or wait for warmer?

There are some question on the car:

What color did they factory paint the belly and frame on this one?

What were major distinction between 69 Chevelle and 69 Malibu? I dont want to mess with stripes common to SS so maybe will go with the Malibu variant.

In any case, so far its still winter here in Ontario, and I've been buying up stuff. Here's what I've got:

- Meguiar's Ultimate Compound

- Tamya modeling tape

- BMF Ultra Chrome (regular, I heard is better though) + modeling knife

- Circa 1850 stripping

- Krylon paint at local stores

- Sand Paper 800/2000 grit

Thanks for reading!

post-13478-0-05428500-1395354430_thumb.j

post-13478-0-77179400-1395354402_thumb.j

post-13478-0-41931900-1395354393_thumb.j

Primer. Then sand. Then mist coats before a wet coat. At least that works for me!

I use Easy off to strip paint. I put the model in a plastic box with a lid, spray with EZ off, close it and let it sit overnight. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated room.

1-I use krylon paint with no issues just be sure the surface is spotless and has no residues on it

2- For the painting like to start with 1 light coat followed by 2 moderate coats of paint. but I lightly sand between coats to remove any imperfections.

3-The wet sanding , make sure to get the surface and the sandpaper wet. then sand to remove the orange peel. When wet sanding I like to keep my blow dryer handy to let me know when most or all of it is gone you can tell when you dry the car most of the surface will be dull(because of the sand paper) but you may see little spots in your paint that are still shiny, that's when I re wet the car and try to get those spots out then you can either apply your clear or another light coat of paint or your clear.

4- I've had several bodies that I have not been satisfied with and I've had to strip them. I recommend either the easy off or just plain old brake fluid. let them sit overnight and start scrubbing in the morning the sooner you soak it the easier it will come off. I know most regular paint strippers will turn your model into a little puddle of mushiness at the bottom of the bowl and that would be no good

5- I personally paint indoors so i would recommend testing the paint in that temp in something other than the body

and I'm sure other members will have more helpful insights into the art of painting your car this is just the way that has worked for me

hope this helped, good luck and I look forward to seeing your builds.

Nick

Looking forward to this one...... Beside building in all other scales (mostly 1/32 scale antiques and classics), I've recently been collecting 1/43 diecasts of unusual cars not available in plastic. I also have a number of the AMT 1/43 scale kits in my stash, but haven't got around (or got up the courage) to tackle them yet!

Keep us well posted on progress.... I'll be following with great interest.

Love those example pics of built up Torinos... especially the green one. WOW!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Alright,

Looks like winter is finally over north of the border, and I got the first coat of primer on!

I'm deciding on the color, I've researched the original 69 GM colors and the local Canadian tire/wallmarts Krylon selections.

I can go Hugger Orange, Buttermilk, Black, Red or Burgundy

For me the blue metallics or champagne/Olympic gold colors are the best on this beast but I don't see the rattle cans of this color near by.

The color that grabbed my attention is Krylons Hunter Green which is sort of darker than GM rallye green but lighter than Fathom.

But I think it would make a deep, nice color on the car.

It would have to be one color though without the stripe on side, because I doubt that there any chevelle decals in 1/43 and have no idea of how to replicate such a thin stripe manually.