Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '30 Ford Woody

Tom Kren

I don't have pics, but I have the kit. It is the same kit as the 'early Iron' issues. Model A frame and running gear. Simplified SBC with Six carb manifold. New halibrand style kidney bean hole rims and generic low profile wheels. In my estimation, these would be better suited for another rod. It has some new lowered suspension pieces to go with the new wheels. The old AWESOME kelsey Hayes wire rims are in there along with some other tires for those as well. The kit looks to have survived well and the updated parts are a welcomed addition. There is a 32 grill shell along with the original all chrome Model A grill as well. Run out and buy a couple, you won't be disappointed

• 3 weeks later...

There's also a new dual exhaust system with an engraved Ford logo on the muffler and separate aluminum exhaust tips. A very nice updating of a classic kit. Oh, and the decal sheet has not one, but TWO different shades of wood paneling for the body side indents.

Maybe we'll see some more of the old Early Iron Series updated in this fashion. I sure hope so.

• 5 years later...

It's interesting to see how this kit has evolved, and while the newest wheels are much more modern compared to previous offerings (sorry, those K-H style spoked wheels do nothing for me), it sure would be nice to see this kit fully backdated to its original form.

Edited by Casey

I'd like to see a Stock version finally.

So I will stick with the Revell 1/25 31 Woody(Woodstock)

versus this Monogram 1/24 kit

Uh,

Doing a stock version of the 30 Ford Station Wagon should be no more difficult than finding a '30 Coupe for the stock parts. Unfortunately, along the way, the Monogram '30 Cabriolet with its originally tooled side mounted spare tires sort of disappeared, and every production Model A Ford station wagon had as standard equipment, a side mounted spare tire at least on the driver's side, so lacking that fender tree, you'd have to come up with a way of making the spare wheel well in the fender, and then scratch up the spare wheel mount to go with it. Not impossible, but it will take a bit of work.

Art

• 4 years later...

I had no recollection of this kit being reissued in 1995 by (then) Revell-Monogram, under the Early Iron Series label, and molded in three colors no less:

Mono30FordWoodyEI120-20Copy.jpg

889d3c6a-705d-4fab-8d2b-103cb0572256.jpg

Mono30FordWoodyEI2.jpg

Still a few shared Monogram 1/24 Model A "rod" parts to be found inside, though. ^_^

Someone pulled a switch on the kit pictured...those spoke wheels are AMT '34 Ford pickup items...

On 11/21/2017 at 9:33 PM, Mark said:

Someone pulled a switch on the kit pictured...those spoke wheels are AMT '34 Ford pickup items...

I should've noticed the mis-matched color compared to the box art model, eh? -_-

Edited by Casey

Those spoke wheels (in the Woody kit) are actually really decent.  I've got a set of those put aside for a fenderless '32 3-window.  The Goodyear Rally GT tires are still in the Woody kit, lettering is wiped off so they do look a bit better without it.  I've got some Testors AlumaCoupe kit tires that Jimmy Flintstone was selling by themselves (leftovers from Testors resin kits?).  Those fit the Monogram wheels pretty well and look better than the Rally GT tires, particularly on an open-wheel build. 

Here's my in-progress chopped spin on the older version of the kit, where I've substituted a '32 grille, hood and recessed firewall for the earlier style that was previously included.

And no, it does NOT have a '32 frame...it has the frame for a '28-'31 model A, which is correct.

Here's the build thread that shows the frame, and a simple way to zee it.

DSCN4837.jpg

On 11/22/2017 at 4:23 PM, keyser said:

Cool thread, but hadda bust Casey's chops. 10yo thread, last post 4 years ago. But because Woodies, KH wires, and nice builds (Nice whack Bill), a pass :D

<_< ;)

On 12/22/2007 at 4:30 PM, Ken said:

-_-

On 3/9/2013 at 12:50 AM, Art Anderson said:

-_-

Edited by Casey

It's interesting to see how this kit has evolved, and while the newest wheels are much more modern compared to previous offerings (sorry, those K-H style spoked wheels do nothing for me), it sure would be nice to see this kit fully backdated to its original form :wub: :

mono30woody.jpg

Just do a little kit bashing with the Blue Bandito.

2v29rd9ZnxQKCP.jpg

2v2uUqzPqxQKCP.jpg

On 11/23/2017 at 3:36 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

The woody cowl opening is also different to accommodate the custom chrome firewall and wont accept the stock firewall from either the coupe or cabriolet.

Yes, and in addition, the cowling was made even shorter, front to rear,  which makes conversion with any of the other Monogram 1/24 scale Model A kits a bit difficult.  I've not tried it yet, but I suspect that adding a correct cowling (from the A-pillar forward to the firewall) from either the coupe or phaeton would do the job, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Art

On 11/23/2017 at 4:46 PM, Dave Darby said:

Just do a little kit bashing with the Blue Bandito.

Yes, that's probably the best way to get a very, very close to the original Woody, but that leaves the builder one surfboard short. ^_^ BTW, is the surfboard from the Blue Beetle and/or Blue Bandito the same as the 'board(s) in the original '30 Woody?

I can't find a good, clear picture of the Woody's original front axle/spring piece, but it looks different than the stock piece in the '30 Coupe/Cabriolet kit, and the later Woody has the chrome plated, dropped front axle--  which axle did you use for your build, Dave?

Old:

0889b0ed-208f-4c52-b8f9-73979a64a161.jpg

Edited by Casey

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2013 at 1:50 AM, Art Anderson said:

Uh,

Doing a stock version of the 30 Ford Station Wagon should be no more difficult than finding a '30 Coupe for the stock parts. Unfortunately, along the way, the Monogram '30 Cabriolet with its originally tooled side mounted spare tires sort of disappeared, and every production Model A Ford station wagon had as standard equipment, a side mounted spare tire at least on the driver's side, so lacking that fender tree, you'd have to come up with a way of making the spare wheel well in the fender, and then scratch up the spare wheel mount to go with it. Not impossible, but it will take a bit of work.

Art

Here is what it looks like when done as a stock version. I used the Monogram '30 Ford Cabriolet fender set for mine as I prefer a model with dual sidemounts. The red car is not particularly authentic but the tan car is pretty close to how Ford built them. Sorry about the grainy second photo here.

Model A woody 2.jpg

Model A woody 1.jpg

23 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, that's probably the best way to get a very, very close to the original Woody, but that leaves the builder one surfboard short. ^_^ BTW, is the surfboard from the Blue Beetle and/or Blue Bandito the same as the 'board(s) in the original '30 Woody?

I can't find a good, clear picture of the Woody's original front axle/spring piece, but it looks different than the stock piece in the '30 Coupe/Cabriolet kit, and the later Woody has the chrome plated, dropped front axle--  which axle did you use for your build, Dave?

Old:

0889b0ed-208f-4c52-b8f9-73979a64a161.jpg

New(er, Early Iron series from 1974(?)):

WP_20171122_043.jpg

WP_20171122_017.jpg

I used the front axle from the Blue Bandito kit. Other than being plated it is identical to the original Woody Wagon axle. On the next one I build I will swipe the knock offs from a Predicta kit.  BTW Testors Flame Red lacquer and Tamiya Flat Tan are near perfect matches for the original plastic.

UTC_Data1491446117861SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

20170517_225935_001-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1492044731552SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1495333680489SEFHgSEFT-vi.jpg