Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Mustang Mach 1/ Boss 302 (8/27 Foiling)

Styrofoam04

So I purchased this kit and decided to give it a go

revell-1970-ford-mustang-mach-1.jpg

I haven't done much yet and most of my progress will be slow due to Life Stuff. If your patient with me you might enjoy the ride. <= car joke

So first thing I did was drill out the door handles

20140222_models_0332_zpse9785720.jpg

I then primed it (no pics of that)

My real Issue is what to build!! Do I build the Mach 1, the Boss 302 or a Modified Boss 302?

Here is the 351ci Mach 1 Engine vs the Boss 302 Engine

20140322_70mustang_0348_zpsb403b2d0.jpg20140322_70mustang_0347_zps6956a735.jpg

Keep watching

Edited by Styrofoam04

I have spent some time with all variations including 69/70 boss 429s and personally the styling of the 70 Mach with the user friendly 351c 4 speed combo is my favorite. Boss 302s are not much fun on the street due to the lack of low rpm grunt and the boss 9s in factory trim are a bit doggy and too valuable to rip around in

I've just opened one last week and deciding what to do also. I've been told that the "Other" magazine had 2 issues covering all the perils and pitfalls pertaining to this kit. It also gives you some color reference for just about everything you'd probably need. I'm gonna snag the mags off of ebay sometime. Look forward to seeing your build.

I vote for the Mach 1. A boss 302 with no shaker scoop just doesn't do it for me. Unless of course you do the required surgery. Or you can always do a custom 1970 boss 351. Look here for some ideas. https://www.google.com/search?q=boss+351+mustang&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jcMwU8WhI8OCyQGp34HwAg&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=671

Edited by lambrakos

Thanks for all the comments,

@Monty, If I have the opportunity I'd buy Both, lol.

@MsDano85gt yup It's a pretty cool kit

@PappyD340 I think I would do that if I find another kit, But for now one at a time

So far the Mach 1 is leading

Here's more to add to the debate, Pics:

Mach 1:

20140322_70mustang_0344_zps1c24cc22.jpg

Boss 302:

20140322_70mustang_0345_zpsd620c10a.jpg

Modified Boss 302:

20140322_70mustang_0346_zps129189da.jpg

Either way, It's going to be Grabber Orange... Which I couldn't find anywhere! So I'm gonna mix it myself. It will be trial and error.

Sooo, I've been searching for days now and I can't seem to find a good tutorial on engine detailing. I have never done engine detailing and thought I'd give it a go. I bought some wire that I think is a good scale for spark plug wires. But I would like to read or watch a few tutorials.

Any links would help alot

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Over the holidays I had time you work on this model. I couldn't find Grabber Orange so I found something close.

I would have made more progress but after spraying on the clear coat The model fell off the stand while drying and messed it up. I had to sand it smooth and re-spray the clear coat. This is the result so far.

P1030606_zpsolj0mbqi.jpg

P1030609_zpsrfzfcjrb.jpg I have read a really good Tutorial on polishing and I cant wait to try it Edited by Styrofoam04

I think the Mach 1 is the better looking of the two and this kit has some nice parts for that version. The one thing that bothers me is that the rear valence isn't cut out for the correct Mach 1 exhaust tips that are not included either. I know in 69 the base 351 2V Mach did not get the nice tips, maybe it was the same in 70, but the kit is a four barrel car so it should have them.

@KiwiMike looks great!

@vamach1 ya my local Shop was out and he was having a hard time getting that's the main reason why its been a over a year for any progress

@Travis T  Thanks for the info, but i'm not going to go into that much detail

For this project i'm going to try a lot of new things I have never done before. first will be sanding and polishing. I bought some really good nail polishing kit. Gonna give that a try and then the dremmel. I'd also like to try bare metal foil and I want to try some engine detailing. All new territory!

Thanks for watching