Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro ZL-1 Headers

I just bought one of the Revell ZL-1 COPO Camaro kits , and my intention is to replicate a column-shift TH 400 , SS/DA version (see attached photo) .

Where can I find a good set of big block 'X' and 'F' body headers for this kit ?

I already have two excellent resin-cast TH 400 transmissions from B-N-L Resins ; one for this Camaro , and one for the COPO Nova (SS/EA) . Highly recommend BNL's parts !

Fred Gibb 1969 COPO (with my favourite wheels !!)

post-6643-0-41500600-1395776230_thumb.jp

Edited by 1972coronet

Cool ! Y'know , I haven't even opened it yet ... ha ha ha ... I just assumed that cast iron manifolds were standard fare !

Thanks , Casey :) !

That's one of the glaring errors in this and all the other versions of the Revell '69 Camaro, no cast iron exhaust manifolds. All the versions of this kit have the same tube headers found in the original Yenko kit, except the Z/28, which has small block headers (still no cast iron manifolds as the oem would have, though).

The headers that come in the kit are very nice, though.

Cool ! Y'know , I haven't even opened it yet ..

I was beginning to wonder, John. :D In all honesty, they aren't the best headers, though not the worst either. If you could find a set which had a full mounting flange instead of no flange (as on the kit's headers) or those tiny little "ear" flanges on either side of each primary tube you'd have something better to work with. Maybe the Pro Street '67 Chevelles or Revell '68-9 Vette kits has something better?

Here are the BBC headers in the Revell '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit, though I'm not sure if they'd fit the Camaro. I recall the Camaro's headers being a very tight fit:

attachicon.gif67chevps.jpg

Those look like small block chevy headers.All four pipes should be evenly spaced apart for a big block.

I was beginning to wonder, John. :D In all honesty, they aren't the best headers, though not the worst either. If you could find a set which had a full mounting flange instead of no flange (as on the kit's headers) or those tiny little "ear" flanges on either side of each primary tube you'd have something better to work with. Maybe the Pro Street '67 Chevelles or Revell '68-9 Vette kits has something better?

Ha ha ... I was "hiding" my purchase until tonight ; hiding it in my car like a little kid , or a husband trying to hide his "unnecessary" purchase .

I was again perusing the photos of the Fred Gibb "tribute" car ; you're right about its headers' flanges . I want to replicate that car as close as possible ; some of that will be easy (thanks to *someone* whose Spyder wheels will fit the bill perfectly :D ) ; and some will be not so 100% . I'll have to use the hood from the MPC "White Lightening" 1969 Trans Am kit , as that's the one on the "1:1" car . I'm sure that mod's will be necessary ... *grumph*

Thanks for your input and guidance !

Ha ha ... I was "hiding" my purchase until tonight ; hiding it in my car like a little kid , or a husband trying to hide his "unnecessary" purchase .

I was again perusing the photos of the Fred Gibb "tribute" car ; you're right about its headers' flanges . I want to replicate that car as close as possible ; some of that will be easy (thanks to *someone* whose Spyder wheels will fit the bill perfectly :D ) ; and some will be not so 100% . I'll have to use the hood from the MPC "White Lightening" 1969 Trans Am kit , as that's the one on the "1:1" car . I'm sure that mod's will be necessary ... *grumph*

Thanks for your input and guidance !

Could you post a link to this Fred Gibb Tribute car.I thought all Zl/1's and COPO Camaros used a cowl-induction hood.

Could you post a link to this Fred Gibb Tribute car.I thought all Zl/1's and COPO Camaros used a cowl-induction hood.

One photo of it is included in the first post . The hood was called "Stilleto" or something as such ; not a "Stinger" nor an "L-88" ; definitely a unique piece !

Here's the photo again :

post-6643-0-57154700-1395810056_thumb.jp

It's "71" LeMans Blue ,and is a column-shift TH 400 !

The yenco camaro has bbc headers. But if your looking for cast mainifolds the copo nova has a veey nice set

Thanks for the info , Allen :) .

I'm going to closely-replicate the "Fred Gibb" tribute version (as pictured in this thread) . Some details will be *overlooked* for the sake of simplicity ; other details will be easily-added (header flanges , primarily ).

I noticed that this kit has the Chamfered [sp?] Exhaust ; not sure if any of the ZL-1's came with that arrangement ...

The chambered exhaust proved to be one of the less popular options since they did very little silencing of the exhaust sound with a very negligible increase in power.About all they guaranteed was that the local police kept a close eye on you, & it was harder to play the"sleeper" role in street racing negotiations.

Have you got the rims for it yet if so where did you get them I need a set of four that I`m working on.

I bought my set of Spyders from a seller on eBay (give me a minute to pull up the link to the seller's page) ; I also recognise that Scenes Unlimited has them .

Addendum : Link to the seller I'm in reference to :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-1-25-Motor-Wheel-Spyder-Mag-Wheels-Narrow-Front-Wide-Rear-Set-/321064695204?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ac0f275a4

Edited by 1972coronet