Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline - Custom - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

Thank you all so much guys.

Michael, the flames on the side are decals from Revell's 1958 Chevy Impala kit. I used 3 separate decals that I pieced together.

William, the taillight bezels are pictured above, installed on the car. Bob Dudek can no longer make any of his great aluminum parts because he is now retired and doesn't have access to a CNC machine that he used when he was working. I flowed Tamiya clear Red into the bezels several times to make lenses with some depth to them. I certainly wish that he was still making his parts. They were all fantastic in quality.

Charlie, I am doing my best to get this car finished by next Thursday night. I'll be leaving here sometime Friday before noon for the trip to Wayne, NJ. I'll be at the host hotel get-together and at the Tilted Kilt for dinner.

Charlie, I am doing my best to get this car finished by next Thursday night. I'll be leaving here sometime Friday before noon for the trip to Wayne, NJ. I'll be at the host hotel get-together and at the Tilted Kilt for dinner.

If all goes well, I'll be there Friday. I might be sleeping in the car, but oh well!

Even if it's on the WIP table, Rich, I'd still be interested in seeing this, as many of us would be.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Host hotel is all sold out. Spoke with them this afternoon.

Tom,

I found a couple of towns, which, according to the maps, anyway, aren't too far away. Are there any that are better than others for accessibility/ease of navigation?

I might grab a hotel room there, otherwise, I'm on the road at midnight to get around the traffic and grab a snooze in the car on arrival. At least my nice big Buick can go more than twenty minutes without stalling again. My friend needed a ride to Long Island and it performed flawlessly and returned 22 MPG. Not bad for LT-1 Roadmaster with the towing package on the make-pretend gasoline they have now.

Charlie Larkin

First of all, let me wish a Happy Easter to all of you. I hope the Easter Bunny hopped all over you..!! Don't eat too much chocolate.

OK, now on with the show.

After mocking up several different choices for wheels on this car, I decided to go with my first choice...... the '48 Dodge Royal Lancer 4 Bar Spinner hubcap from Modelhaus. I mounted them in the whitrwall tires from the Revell Custom '48 Ford kit and I detailed them with a Blue & White checkerboard pattern and some Detailer in the center. Valve stems were also added and the tire treads were lightly sanded for a used look.

1951CHEVROLETFLEETLINECUSTOMMODELWHEELSM

This afternoon I finally finished up the interior. The carpet is flocked in Gray and the seats, side panels and rear tray are flocked in Navy Blue to match the exterior. The tuck 'n roll on the seats was done with Evergreen half round strips (Item #243) and they were painted Model Master Wimbledon White along with the molded tuck 'n roll parts of the side panels (I obviously sprayed the Wimbledon White on before the flocking went on. Additional trim was with BMF. The dash was painted the body color and a White pinstripe decal was added to match the exterior pinstripes. BestModelCarParts gauges, clock and radio faces were attached with clear enamel and covered with clear epoxy for lenses. Two PE pieces were added for ignition and glove box keyholes and the dash buttons were hit with chrome silver paint using a sharpened toothpick. BMF was applied to the center of the dash and given a coat of Detailer to darken the recesses.

.1951CHEVROLETFLEETLINECUSTOMMODELINTERIO

1951CHEVROLETFLEETLINECUSTOMMODELINTERIO

I also finished up the engine compartment today. The battery cables and Beehive oil filter lines are connected. The radiator has a piece of wire for an overflow line and a PE cap. Heater hoses were installed with chrome silver paint rings for hose clamps. The rubber radiator hose has PE hose clamps attached.

1951CHEVROLETFLEETLINECUSTOMMODELENGINEF

1951CHEVROLETFLEETLINECUSTOMMODELENGINEF

Now all I have to do tomorrow is get this whole chassis/interior/engine assembly up into the body without breaking anything or chipping any paint on the body. It's gonna be a tight fit requiring gently spreading the body to get it in. Once that is successfully done I can mount the grille, spots, antennas & mirror. Then get rid of the smudges and fingerprints on the body and I can call it done. I can't wait.

Thanks to all for following along on this project. Bring on the comments and critiques.

Edited by Ramfins59

Ugh....I was looking forward to seeing what you had done.

I don't have PB problems, but I don't upload everything in the world, either. I wonder if that's part of the reason?

That said, I've toyed with buying the extra bandwidth. It's not that expensive.

Charlie Larkin

Well, yesterday was NOT a good day here at Blackrock.

First Photobucket decided to play hardball and hold my pictures hostage until I pay for increased bandwidth. While I'm not overly cheap, PB just honked me off enough that I decided that they can go scratch my half Polish A$$..!! Apparently, the last time PB sent the "You're Approaching Your Bandwidth Limit" warning a little over 7 months ago I had looked into, and set up an account on Fotki. After I deleted a bunch of pictures on PB 7 months ago everything went back to normal and I completely forgot about the Fotki account. Well, now I "rediscovered my Fotki account and just have to get accustomed, or, figure out, the best way to get my pictures from Fotki onto this Forum.

Part 2 of the bad day at Blackrock is that after finishing up all of the subassemblies on this '51 Chevy, I cannot seem to get the entire chassis/engine/interior piece to properly seat itself up into the body. I fiddled with it for over an hour late last night but no dice..!! Instead of getting frustrated and annoyed and doing something to it that I'd regret I shut off the lights and went to bed. I'll try playing with it again later today after I take care of some household chores that I need to get done first. Worst case scenario is that I'll bring it to NNL East unassembled for display on the WIP table. I know that I will eventually win the battle but it's really frustrating to have this happen on the very last step after everything else came out looking so good.

I remember being told that the final assembly on the '51 Chevys can be a bit fiddly. I'm sorry to see it strike again, and on a well-celebrated (and deservedly so) piece of work.

If I start getting ay PB flak...I dunno. I never found any of the other services I like. I really don't care for Fotki. I know a couple of people that use that Shutterfly service, I might take a look at that.

Charlie Larkin

Hey Rich, sorry to hear of both your photo and assembly issues! Hope you get it together for Saturday!

Migrate over to that Fotki account. I've had a personal account and our club account for at least 10 years. They had issues last year but with the move of their servers foreign shores, that's all in the past. I do have paid accounts, but they have always had big sales occasionally and I'd reup for several years at a time.