Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alright guys, this is going to be my second model in 12 years. Just got done with the first, a 71 Plymouth hemi cuda. Came out pretty good, but there are allot of things I've learned to watch out for and things to do to better the overall detail of the engine, model, etc. Thanks to all the comments and constructive criticism I received from you guys! For me constructive criticism... it's a must and I'll accept it with open arms. Also I'm going to try wiring the engine, never did this before, but thanks to Jim Stepanek and his Crazy Scale Auto Parts I have all the wiring and colors of wiring I'll need to be able to accomplish this on this model and many models to come. Luckily I am an inspector at an oil field parts manufacturing machine shop, so I was able to get some really small drill bits, down to .015". Or, fifteen thousandth of an inch. Anyways, I'll be posting step by step pictures of the build, so feel free to come in. Thanks guys!

Big Bruce

Ok guys, so first I glued all my "same color" engine parts together, and puddied all the creases with testors contour puddy. Didn't do this on my last engine and a suggestion was made to do it, very understandable since my creases were humongous lol. It seems like this stuff cures@/ dries pretty fast so 1st question, when should I begin sanding?? And question number 2, this kit came with basic white styrene valve covers and chrome valve covers...Any have any knowledge on what would look more authentic on this 65 chevy step side?? It's a 2 n 1 kit but I'm keeping it vintage, so I'll definitely not be putting the chromed out donkey rims and low pro tires. Sticking with hubs and white walls :)))

post-13596-0-03799400-1396123842_thumb.j

post-13596-0-86800400-1396123857_thumb.j

I've got about five of these kits. Great model to build. Always loved the two-color paint on the real trucks. Most engines I've seen were a orangey-red, valve covers and all.

Testors puddy takes overnight at least to really set up.

Have fun!

Edited by DrGlueblob

Believe it or not, the '65 and '66 Chevrolet truck 283 and 327 V8s were actually green, rather than the usual orange-red associated with Chevrolet V8s. The Trucks didn't adopt the same colors as Passenger engines until '67.

Here's a pic of an original unrestored truck.

1965ChevroletC10_04_700.jpg

I have seen this color vary in shade, some are more of a spruce green, some are more of an Alpine green (think Detroit Diesel green).

Hey chip, didn't wait over night lol I was too eager, but I sanded down and cleaned it up, it was dry, crumbly like a over baked cookie so I suppose that it's dry enough right?

Bill I was just about to start painting until you showed me this, I have allot of colors but I don't know what I can use to match it. I have a teal?? Think that would work??

Edited by Field_Artillery63

Ok so prepped the engine, puttied, sanded, filed. Looks pretty good I must say, I brought the shop vac into the hobby room and put it under the work bench, the vacuum attachments I got from Lowe's for cleaning my real car worked awesome for clean up, of the workbench, and putting it on the actual engine itself and sucking up all the dust and putty remains.

post-13596-0-00192600-1396145613_thumb.j

post-13596-0-29573300-1396145682_thumb.j

Believe it or not, the '65 and '66 Chevrolet truck 283 and 327 V8s were actually green, rather than the usual orange-red associated with Chevrolet V8s. The Trucks didn't adopt the same colors as Passenger engines until '67.

Here's a pic of an original unrestored truck.

1965ChevroletC10_04_700.jpg

I have seen this color vary in shade, some are more of a spruce green, some are more of an Alpine green (think Detroit Diesel green).

Well Bill I think I matched the Color pretty good, I used gloss green, flat sea blue, gunmetal, and gloss white and I came out with this. Not bad for 1 whole minute of mixing colors lol.

post-13596-0-16129300-1396153600_thumb.j

Thanks Bill, thanks Carl. I didn't get much done last Night, was coping pieces of wood for a friend, 300 total pieces yesterday with a miter box saw and managed to chop my index finger to the bone. Lol so was a bit preoccupied cleaning up the wound and bandageing it. But more progress soon to come.

Going to throw some pictures up tomorrow, painted and detailed the chassis with suspensions and paint shock housings yellow and shafts chrome silver. Wired my distributor cap I got from crazyjim. Think it'll hold. Put crazy glue in them put the 8 wires around. Letting it dry. Also drilled holes for the wires beneath the valve covers where the manifolds go. Only thing that concerns me is the wires being in the way of the manifolds, so might have to do some trimming. Stay tuned guys. Pictures coming tomorrow

• 1 month later...