Model Cars Magazine Forum

Janis Joplin's Porsche 356C and Janis figure...

Brizio

Back from a trip in Europe, I want to build an European car... :D For quite a while I want to build this 356, car that I really like and I had the pleasure to drive (the 1/1 :D )

The kit is the Fujimi in 1/24 and it offer the option to build it as B or C model.

Here the box art.

10173567_747979605236755_685080702_n.jpg

On the side of the box there are some reference picture of the 1/1 car.

1913415_747979611903421_1936316760_o.jpg

Edited by Brizio

Thank you all guys!

I will build it stock, like a car that was driven daily.

dude...you should have bought the cabriolet or speedster model and saved yourself a lot of time and grief.

can't wait till you get to the motor, its a beaut!

jb

I know, but I had this kit. :D

About the motor at first glance and for what I remember It looks wrong. I mean it is correct if you want make a earlier 356 but for a post 1955 (356A and after B and C) it is a different engine. I will check and post picture later today.

About the motor at first glance and for what I remember It looks wrong. I mean it is correct if you want make a earlier 356 but for a post 1955 (356A and after B and C) it is a different engine. I will check and post picture later today.

The kit you have is a Carrera 2, which had a 4-cam (double-overhead cam) engine.

porsche-356-029-2-23.jpg

The standard 356 engines were pushrod (plus both 912 iterations), looked very different from what's in your kit, and the most visible year-to-year differences are carb and air filter changes.

Porsche_356_Motor_02.jpg

Side note: The early 912 used essentially 356SC engines. The later 912 used the VW 411 derived pushrod engine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Nice Porsche, as you are building it as a daily runner is it going to be in outlaw style?

Thank you Pat! I'm not sure what it is the outlaw style. I'm thinking to build it stock, with little dirt under it only, like a driver. :)

The kit you have is a Carrera 2, which had a 4-cam (double-overhead cam) engine.

porsche-356-029-2-23.jpg

The standard 356 engines were pushrod (plus both 912 iterations), looked very different from what's in your kit, and the most visible year-to-year differences are carb and air filter changes.

Porsche_356_Motor_02.jpg

Side note: The early 912 used essentially 356SC engines. The later 912 used the VW 411 derived pushrod engine.

Thank you for the pictures Bill! That is exactly what I'm talk about. I already have a VW engine that I can use for this build.

Thank you for the pictures Bill! That is exactly what I'm talk about. I already have a VW engine that I can use for this build.

Yes, a VW engine is similar in appearance to a pushrod Porsche, but you'll give Porsche rivet-counters fits. :lol:

The truth is, in real life you CAN build a hot-rod VW engine with a lot more power (cheap) than if you hot-rod an old Porsche engine...and the VW bolts to the Porsche transmission perfectly. I've done it. B)

Looking Nice so far.

I am also working on 4 porches. on my benxh right not blackstar 911 .. Karcass always comes in my head when I say that

4!!! WOW! I saw the 911, beautiful!

Yes, a VW engine is similar in appearance to a pushrod Porsche, but you'll give Porsche rivet-counters fits.

The truth is, in real life you CAN build a hot-rod VW engine with a lot more power (cheap) than if you hot-rod an old Porsche engine...and the VW bolts to the Porsche transmission perfectly. I've done it.

LOL! :D

Cool that it can be done! So I'm safe with the VW engine... :D I will not tell the Porsche purists that is a VW... :D

Nice kit. The 4 cam engine is super rare and outrageously expensive.

Fun fact: Disney replaced the 1200cc VW engine in Herbie with the Porsche 1700cc engine for race scenes, That's why the exhaust on the Johnny Lightning Herbie is wonky, they were looking at pictures with the Porsche exhaust.

Nice kit. The 4 cam engine is super rare and outrageously expensive.

Fun fact: Disney replaced the 1200cc VW engine in Herbie with the Porsche 1700cc engine for race scenes, That's why the exhaust on the Johnny Lightning Herbie is wonky, they were looking at pictures with the Porsche exhaust.

Thank you! Interesting about Herbie! About VW engine swap... In the 70's-80's in Italy (probably in different country too) there was different VW T2 ambulance and later T3 that had a Porsche engine.