Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working with Automotuve Paint (HOK)

For those of you who are spaying plastic models with Automotive paints, Can you fill me in on the mixing ratios and what materials you are using? I would like to paint my next project with a House of Colors Candy and I want it to come out correctly.

Thank you in advance!

I use House of Kolor on pretty much everything.
So much so that that I have a tattoo of the scarab (see avatar pic).

I mix my HOK paints at 1:1 (reduce with HOK RU311 mid-temp reducer) for spraying through the airbrush and I spray between 25-30 psi.
I start off with washing the parts with Comet and a toothbrush (great tip learned from this forum). I do all of my body work, sanding, etc., prime with Dupli-color filler primer, wet sand with 1000-1500 sandpaper, spray with Dupli-color sealer/primer, wet sand with 2000, shoot body color(s).

This may seem a little excessive to some, but I go through the same steps when painting a model that I would go through for painting anything.

I would start with what HOK recommends, 2 parts Paint, 1 part Catalyst and 1 part Reducer. If it sprays grainy or dry, slowly add reducer until you get a nice fog from the center, solid coverage in the center to no coverage the outside of you're spray pattern.

It's pretty much impossible to give a correct formula as each airbrush is different and how a person uses it, what pressure you spray at can make a big difference also.

I also use HoK I mix it w/med. temp. reducer. I use Dupli-Color primers. Candies are tough. Count your strokes! Fatkidd nailed it. Prep is the key.

Hok is very forgiving-very easy to shoot. I get mine from black gold. Good Luck with it.

Eric

Some great info in the videos below - as always! ;) Be sure to watch all 3 parts of the last video. The Dr. has actually convinced me to try some. Just ordered some of the reducer he talks about and black base coat & some white base coat for my AMT Taurus police car.