Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a realistic B&M hydro

Powerglide? TH350? TH400? Back in the "day" a B&M transmission was a stock transmission rebuilt by B&M with new internal parts. ANY Powerglide, TH350 or TH400 trans will work if you paint it black and put a B&M decal on it. :)

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Powerglide? TH350? TH400? Back in the "day" a B&M transmission was a stock transmission rebuilt by B&M with new internal parts. ANY Powerglide, TH350 or TH400 trans will work if you paint it black and put a B&M decal on it. :)

Mark

No, actually. In the beginning, the B&M trick drag-racing trans was called the Hydro-Stick, and was based on the early GM iron case Hydra-Matic, which looks like this...

hrdp_1101_02_o%2B2010_speed_parts_hall_o

They had significant mods to allow the trans to be held in gear and shifted manually, and many were red.

Kris is correct, in that the Swindler II Stone-Woods-Cook Willys kit with the Olds engine has a proper B&M Hydro-Stick, as do the Olds-powered Anglia and Thames kits from Revell. The old Revell parts-pack Cadillac engine also has another version of the Hydra-Matic that was given the Hydro-Stick treatment.

1000x1000.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Revell "new tool" Big John Mazmanian, Stone, Woods & Cook, KS Pitman 41 Willys Gasser kits also have a B&M Hydro-Stick behind the 392 Hemi, but the "new tool" Street Rod doesn't as that kit has a Mopar 727.
Another kit with B&M Hydro-Stick is the Revell Orange Crate.

Edited by Force

Okay, understandable. B&M Hydro Stick makes a difference. B&M Hydro simply sounded like he was looking for an auto trans to me. And ANY auto trans would work in that situation as long as the shape was correct.

It's very difficult to know how much actual "car" knowledge a model car builder has, so interpreting questions is a krap shoot. :)

Mark

Edited by astroracer

Okay, understandable. B&M Hydro Stick makes a difference. B&M Hydro simply sounded like he was looking for an auto trans to me. And ANY auto trans would work in that situation as long as the shape was correct.

It's very difficult to know how much actual "car" knowledge a model car builder has, so interpreting questions is a krap shoot. :)

Mark

You're absolutely right. I like your trick use of the "k" too. :D

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2014 at 7:44 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

No, actually. In the beginning, the B&M trick drag-racing trans was called the Hydro-Stick, and was based on the early GM iron case Hydra-Matic, which looks like this...

hrdp_1101_02_o%2B2010_speed_parts_hall_o

Kris is correct, in that the Swindler II Stone-Woods-Cook Willys kit with the Olds engine has a proper B&M Hydro-Stick, as do the Olds-powered Anglia and Thames kits from Revell. The old Revell parts-pack Cadillac engine also has another version of the Hydra-Matic that was given the Hydro-Stick treatment.

Are all of the  B&M Hydro Stick transmissions found in the older Revell kits mentioned above essentially the same? No separate nor nor bottom pans, correct?

The newer '00s Revell Big John Mazmanian '41 Willys Gasser appears to have a separate bottom pan (good), but I haven't had any luck finding a good, clear image of the real thing online. My understanding is B&M essentially took a used GM Hydra Matic, beefed up and rebuilt the innards, and added it's own sticker to the raised oval pad on the right side of the case, but the trans case itself appears to have both a bolt on side and underside/belly/bottom pan-- is that correct? Is the bottom pan of the Mazmanian Willys kit correct in shape, as seen on Raul Perez's build shown below?:

RaulPerezWIllys.jpg.4ed06be4febd24239bf1b49769f0d502.jpg

I guess a separate bottom pan is preferable to no separate pans, but only if the shape is close to accurate.

Don't even get me started on block-to-trans adapters... -_- 

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are all of the  B&M Hydro Stick transmissions found in the older Revell kits mentioned above essentially the same? No separate nor nor bottom pans, correct?

I guess a separate bottom pan is preferable to no separate pans, but only if the shape is close to accurate.

Don't even get me started on block-to-trans adapters... -_- 

Revell has two B&M Hydro-Sticks that are quite accurate, and represent the real parts well.

No separate bottom pans, correct. But if you really want one, you can always pull a mold of a pan, and then remove the molded-on one...but because the kit cases are split along the center, to allow the halves to come out of the mold, there's no bolt detail on the pan rail...but there IS a well-defined pan rail. Some bolt-head details would bring it home nicely.

In the real world, there were two different Hydramatic cases that ended up as Hydro-Sticks, a slightly skinnier one (in the Revell Cadillac parts-pack) and a fatter one (in the old SWC Willys and derivatives).

Adapters can be very simple, and one something like this is included in the Caddy engine parts-pack.

Image result for B&M Hydro Stick