Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

In my neck of the woods...these trucks (and similar GMs n Rams) are used primarily as "passenger cars".......think conspicious consumption?

Perhaps Gregg has a similar exprience, thus the "mistake" seems more "excusable"......to me. :rolleyes:

Time for another reality check here, I see. 'Cause once again, we got the agitatin' for a problem before a problem even really exists. Talk about squarish seats, and this thread will go down in flames, and Meng will just cut the production run and never explore this line of subjects again 'cause we had the NERRRVE to point it out, right?

Yeeaaah, NO.

Slightly squarish seats that'll take about 15 minutes to sand rounder in the middle of an otherwise very nice-looking kit are an entirely different animal than a kit that needs major surgery in its body shell to look acceptable, and that's why, as much as some guys need such fantasies and wildly exaggerated imaginings of "rivet-counting" to justify their own hysterics, there won't be ANYTHING LIKE the controversy we've seen elsewhere on other kits about these seats.

And sittin' here like a bunch of online magpies goin' "RA RA!" no matter what's served up is meaningless. The only "encouragement" worth a warm steaming scat to Meng is not to get hung up on idiotic factors like it being one off that holy precious 1/25 scale, or that it costs as much as a pretty unambitious night out with your honey, and just buy the danm thing if you like it.

Meng is like any other manufacturer. They wanna shift units, and whatever is said online about their products, if they care at all, will be MIIILES behind in importance relative to sales. And having the attitude, "Funky seats. I'll take two please", will make a far more tangible contribution to the hobby than trying to police the content of some online thread.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I don't think anyone cares about the degree of the issue,it's just how crazy people got over it. Friendships were ruined,members kicked/banned, and sides were taken over a $20 plastic model kit! It's not the seats we're concerned about it's the people who will (not may) blow them out of proportion and end up giving the forum a bad name because a bunch of guys got their panties in a wad over something stupid that isn't going to matter five years down the road. So please before anyone wants to drag this on and keep flogging a dead Mustang horse take it up elsewhere so those that don't want to see it don't have to wade through it to get to the actual review.

See how that works? YOU are actually the first one to mention any specific model. That "horse" is far from the only body shell I could have been describing.

A "bad name." To whom exactly?

And WHERE is this "blown proportion" on the seats, exactly? The only proportion I see starting to distend is at the reaction to one reference.

You don't want the discussion to go this direction, don't start overreacting to one bland mention of squarish seats. And don't even TRY TO PRETEND that it's not THAT OVERREACTION where the discussion starts going off course.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Wait, what are you saying Chuck, the seats in this kit that I am anxiously awaiting are incorrect? Oh the horror! You go on to say that I can fix them with a little bit of work? Oh no, that isn't right, I paid good money for this kit and it should just assemble itself!

Sarcasm off, now how I really feel.....

Considering this is the first all new light truck kit in years, I am happy for it to come to market and can live with a perceived flaw. I hope Meng sees fit to offer a standard cab and extended cab version of this truck, and if they do I will order several more!

All I am going to say that if anyone dismisses this kit over seats that are just a little to squared is a fool, you will be missing out on what seems to be a great kit, right now, I am only forming an opinion on them as how the parts look in the box, but so far, I really like what I see, and you will too, this is a kit that should not be passed up, that is if you like truck kits.

Folks, right here, we have the "put your money where your mouth is", people complaining about less then stellar quality kits, well, here you have a great quality kit of an American Subject that is filling a void that is been there for a very long time, Meng has delivered a kit that US builders have been asking for since the Revell's 99 Silverado kit, sure, I know its not a 2014 model year , but its better then not having anything at all. Yes, this kit may be a little expensive, but guess what, it does not have a chop top, it does not have crappy chrome platting, it does not have a lot issues , is it accurate as far as the real one?, I cant answer that, but I am sure someone that is can say how accurate it is .

Edited by martinfan5

Well put, Jonathan. I'm looking forward to eventually building at least one..waiting on my pre order from HLJ now. It's great now after almost 15 years to see another modern pickup kitted. I hope it is successful for Meng and they tool up variations and more modern trucks.

I will throw my two cents in as far as the seats go. I drive an F-550 super duty for work and have them all around our company and from what I can see in the pics they look pretty close to the real thing to me. I will be able to judge it better when I get one.

One question I have concerns the door panels. Where are the pieces that fill in the openings?

The other is what are the five reddish looking pieces beside the decals?

Edited by plowboy

Roger, those are the chrome metal transfers for the mirrors , yes, I see there is a little bit of a red reflection for some reason, as for the door panels, I looked and nothing goes behind them, but when you put the interior into the body, that will be the backing for them

I preordered two(roofing truck and a tow vehicle are my plans) over at hobbylinc japan. I live in a F150 10 hours a day and I like the idea of new model offerings and want to support them.

Imperfections don't bother me at all, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of butchering kits together!!

Although I can sympathize with those of you who it does bother. I see your point. I respect your opinions.

I also enjoy reading the threads that discuss kit deficiencies.

I assume on the 1:1 those big things on the inner door panel are cubbies for stashing maps, tablets, ice scrapers, etc..

Correct, and by looking at it, and it looks like once the interior is placed in the body, the cubbies will be opened little bit