Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

What shipping method did you use, Mike?

We used the same shipping method , its Air Parcel and takes about a week, for one, you are looking at about low $20's

My opinion is, with the bed sides being separate, I see a Dually version in the future.

There are several things about the kit that say they are planning a dually version, one, they chose to do a long bed, two, the main parts of the bed are on their own parts tree.

And we could all be wrong, and there is no plan , we just have to wait and see

Edited by martinfan5

I got to say that I have spent the last hour looking this kit over and "square seats aside" (note sarcasm) this kit is well worth the money I paid for it.

The way this kit is molded is very impressive. A separate headliner, detailed leaf springs and coil springs, clean engraving all around. What I noticed was the fact that there isn't any trademark engraving that I could see, unlike the domestic kits. The instruction sheet is almost like a mini-manual with nicely detailed drawings.

I bought two kits and with shipping it was less than $120 delivered from China to my door in a week. There have only been 2 other kits that I have bought that cost more than $60, a Revell KW Wrecker and the Can Do Wrecker, and this is money well spent.

I sure hope they come out with other versions as I won't hesitate to buy additional kits from Meng.

... there isn't any trademark engraving that I could see, unlike the domestic kits.

Did you notice if there are any TradeMark notices or licensing notices on the box, Mike?

Are they just ignoring Ford because they can?

Edited by Danno

No Asian manufacturers stamp a bunch of writing and copyright notices on their chassis pans. This is nothing new for them. It also proves it's not an actual requirement for Revell either, but what fun is it if they don't stick a date and a GM trademark in a tiny nook that is impossible to remove without destroying all of the surrounding engraved texture.

Edited by niteowl7710

No Asian manufacturers stamp a bunch of writing and copyright notices on their chassis pans. This is nothing new for them. It also proves it's not an actual requirement for Revell either, but what fun is it if they don't stick a date and a GM trademark in a tiny nook that is impossible to remove without destroying all of the surrounding engraved texture.

I bet you 200000yen that if this was an American company that kitted this subject, no one would of asked , Someone asked about if this kit was licensed over at the Automotive Forum, , so I posted that photo to show that it is

That's why I wondered. I was curious to see if the MENG kit was licensed but MENG didn't see the need to mar the chassis with engraving such as that. I agree; if MENG doesn't have to, Revell or Round2 or Moebius shouldn't have to either.

I just wanted to be certain the MENG kit was a licensed kit before I raised the issue about chassis marking.

That's why I wondered. I was curious to see if the MENG kit was licensed but MENG didn't see the need to mar the chassis with engraving such as that. I agree; if MENG doesn't have to, Revell or Round2 or Moebius shouldn't have to either.

I just wanted to be certain the MENG kit was a licensed kit before I raised the issue about chassis marking.

It's not just Meng...Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Hasegawa - none of them mold engraved copyright stuff onto their chassis parts.

It's not just Meng...Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Hasegawa - none of them mold engraved copyright stuff onto their chassis parts.

Interesting. So chassis marking seems to be an American thing.

Statutory? Or just cultural?

I wouldn't be surprised if it all stems from the days of Promotional Models, and just being a standard "thing" that still carries over to the present.

What didn't make sense was when Revell and Round 2 started "printing" the computerized information on the underside of the chassis or in the inside of the roof, and STILL engraved the stuff on the chassis.

I wouldn't be surprised if it all stems from the days of Promotional Models, and just being a standard "thing" that still carries over to the present.

That's what I was thinking. The "we do it that way because we've always done it that way" business plan. ^_^

Remember the '58 - 60's Fords? The ones that had a dozen or more new car feature advertisements engraved into the chassis? Like, "New Triple Rust Proofing," New Fully Galvanized Mufflers," etc.?

Hey Gregg, thanks for the review so far! What diecast kit did the bed come from? Do you think it looks correct in length, and width?

I think it was the Matchbox one. Will have to have Gilbert chime in here. It is a tad too small, maybe 1mm on width and height?

post-3-0-81690800-1397017025_thumb.jpg

All the parts have been prepped for painting. Base coat went on. Should be painted and clear coated by tomorrow. Wanted to build it as a semi-lifted one, with the Aoshima or Tamiya tires (which fit perfectly on the kit rims) or the SoReal tires with the aluminum rims from Micro Nitro. Maybe the next one, or ones...

Quick base coat, and checking the fit of the suspension parts

The ride height is good, and the soft off road-style tires from Tamiya Mitsubishi Montero (the smaller ones) fit great.

post-3-0-09870500-1397025300_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-40674200-1397025301_thumb.jpg

My two kits arrived today, man the thing is a lot bigger than I thought! It looks pretty cool though, would be easy to super Detail the engine lots of nice little extras like grab handles the interior on the headliner inside. Someone asked about the tires they appeared to be made of vinyl but they are very soft like rubber and they are hollow they do say Continental on the sides.

Does anyone know the exact year model of this truck yet?