Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

My two kits arrived today, man the thing is a lot bigger than I thought! It looks pretty cool though, would be easy to super Detail the engine lots of nice little extras like grab handles the interior on the headliner inside. Someone asked about the tires they appeared to be made of vinyl but they are very soft like rubber and they are hollow they do say Continental on the sides.

Does anyone know the exact year model of this truck yet?

Continental Contitracs were the OEM highway tires, as opposed to M&S "offroad" tires for 2008 & 2009 Ford F-350s. The were subsequently all recalled in 2011 because the belts were found to be separating.

Continental Contitracs were the OEM highway tires, as opposed to M&S "offroad" tires for 2008 & 2009 Ford F-350s. The were subsequently all recalled in 2011 because the belts were found to be separating.

Yeah, the Contitrac wasn't a very good tire. We sold them for a while, had plenty of them come back for tread separations. Same for the direct predecessor of that tire, the General Ameri-Trac (same tire, different sidewall lettering).

Wow, really, I figured 2011-2012. They haven't changed a lot (in my eyes) in the past 6 years or so so I couldn't tell. I wonder why they chose that time period? Seems like they would have shot for a 2014??

I heard that it was based on a 2010 model.

Will get more info on it soon.

It's painted today, and clear-coated. Should be dry by tonight.

May have it finished tomorrow.

I really like this kit.

I will be getting some more of them, that's for sure.

post-3-0-19722100-1397091552_thumb.jpeg

Nothing so far. Everything has fit together great. Ala Tamiya!

I had a reaction on the hood to the ScaleFinishes paint, but I think it was because I am rushing it.

After the clear coat, it looks fine.

I'll put up more pics soon.

Best thing is to really test fit everything first, to see what you want to paint together and/or separate.

There are mold seams, but they are real slight.

Probably the smallest I have seen.

Anyone know of a good/easy color to use for the water reservoirs for the truck? It's actually transparent, but what color(s) would replicate it the bestest?

Anyone have a good mix that they think works good?

Thanks in advance.

post-3-0-09601300-1397097578_thumb.jpg

Anyone know of a good/easy color to use for the water reservoirs for the truck? It's actually transparent, but what color(s) would replicate it the bestest?

Thanks in advance.

attachicon.gifimage-10 copy.jpg

I wonder if transparent blue and green might work, followed by a wash of thinned white or some kind of pearlescent finish. As those jugs are more translucent than transparent, it might look better, as they're not crystal clear.

Charlie Larkin

I will say, from the build-up I'm watching, this is an excellent model. I'm seriously considering getting one of these if one of the jobs I'm in pursuit of happens.

If this is an example of their product, they deserve my money. Yes, I'd like 1/25 better, but I can still make this work- those things are so big, you'd hardly notice the difference anyway.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks in advance.

attachicon.gifimage-10 copy.jpg

I tried this method recently, and I am still on the fence about this method.... First, paint the tank green to the level that you want the coolant. Then paint the whole resevoir with a thin white primer such as Tamiya brand, or duplicolor. The primer will let the green show through making a transparent effect.

See what you think,

Mark

Wow, really, I figured 2011-2012. They haven't changed a lot (in my eyes) in the past 6 years or so so I couldn't tell. I wonder why they chose that time period? Seems like they would have shot for a 2014??

'11 was a facelift year..different front fenders, hood, bumper, larger/bulgier grille, revised light clusters..

'08-10:

08114051990002-480.jpg

'11-15

1101dp_01_o%2B1101dp_2011_ford_f350_proj

Edited by Rob Hall

The chrome seems to peal off easily when being taped up.

I messed up the rear bumper, taping it up to do the black steps on the top of it.

ouch...

Be careful taping the chrome, maybe try not to put tape on it at all.

Mike, not sure if it would work either. It's like I just look at the chrome, and it flakes off.

Maybe it's just me?

I know, what a flake....

So, there is one bad thing with the kit, but it could be just mine.

Have to see what others find when they get their kits.

I was thinking maybe just the old airbrush trick that Jairus showed me, using card stock, or something like that, as a fine/hard edge and just airbrush the black?

Painted the bed, came out okay.

post-3-0-79306300-1397163043_thumb.jpg