Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

Got mine today! Have to say that this kit is TOP quality. You can almost just cut the parts from the tree and paint it without any cleanup. I did a quick mockup to show that the kit wheels will fit into the ground hawg tires(from the mad mudder?) and look pretty good. Of course there will need to be a slight lift involved. 5895652E-9DA9-4282-B6DB-CF6BFFDBF987_zps

That looks nice Andy, I am thinking a set of those new BFG Krawler tires from Chief Joseph might be nice on there too!

I have been going through the parts boxes looking for some tires for mine.

I was thinkin the same thing. I'm going to order up a couple sets of them maybe for this truck or the upcoming moebius 4x4 ford.

is the chrome bad in all the kits or just a select bunch?? ordered 2 kits sat. nite from hong kong...oldr-n-drt

That's a good question, and it was helpful to see - however briefly - that another builder had the same problem.

I've found Gunze Mr Color gloss benign enough to go on chrome and preserve the shine without attacking it. Maybe Krylon Low-Odor (water-based) clear?

S'pose you can clip off sections of sprue to see how your favorite clear helps to seal it...

Couple of notes on the kit:

There is no steering box/linkage, at all.

There is a tie rod that allows the front wheels to turn.

There is no front panhard or whatever it would be called on the front of a truck, that keeps the front end from moving or shifting from side to side.

The AMT/MPC Desert Dog tires fit the stock MENG rims perfectly.

The Aoshima HiLift SuperSwampers fit, but they balloon the sidewalls a bit.

MENG has said they will send out replacement chrome, but check your chrome first, see if it does peel

I would like to follow this, and so would MENG

Gilbert saw some of my bigger Aoshima Mega Rims, and they look amazing!!!!
I know a lot of guys will be doing this set up.
post-3-0-76301500-1397710672_thumb.jpg
This a set of resin Hobby Design rims that were sent out for chroming.
post-3-0-46891500-1397710671_thumb.jpg

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Paid on the 12th, shipped on the 15th, arrived yesterday the 19th. Coming from Hong Kong, that's pretty good. The only thing I don't like is the tires that came with the kit. They look horrible, so I swapped them out for the tires that came with the jeep rubicon kit. They look a lot better. I have a set of So Real Concepts tires that I'm going to see if they fit. There is almost no mold lines on the kit its self.

Wow! Not sure how I missed this one. My last Super Duty was a 2006 4wd dually and it's not a whole lot different than this one. It's closer than anything to date. The way the bed is made I wonder if they plan on Dually sides in the future.

Does the grill angle back at the top as shown in the photos?

I know it was mentioned that the built kit is just dry fit together but the grill is my concern as I have a diecast model that has the same possible issue. I plan on getting a few and modifying then to match my old 2004 extended cab single wheel and 2006 crew cab dually trucks. Speccast made a diecast dually extended cab I can rob a bed from.

DSC01341-vi.jpg

Wow! Not sure how I missed this one. My last Super Duty was a 2006 4wd dually and it's not a whole lot different than this one. It's closer than anything to date. The way the bed is made I wonder if they plan on Dually sides in the future.

Does the grill angle back at the top as shown in the photos?

I know it was mentioned that the built kit is just dry fit together but the grill is my concern as I have a diecast model that has the same possible issue. I plan on getting a few and modifying then to match my old 2004 extended cab single wheel and 2006 crew cab dually trucks. Speccast made a diecast dually extended cab I can rob a bed from.

DSC01341-vi.jpg

speccast is 1/25 this kit is 1/24 the bed will look small on the truck. I do love me a speccast though, i converted one to a dually and lifted another.IMG_20140325_211831_zpsf1834a23.jpg