Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got this in the mail

BLOODBANE

As the title says, i got this in the mail....

DSC03422_zps8d9ba59d.jpg

I had a 69 GT Torino in High School and recently seen a build here, so I knew I had to find one.The body was painted, but it was unassembled.

First thing I did was sand the old paint off and primer the body....

DSC03412_zpse5c4cba7.jpg

I need the FE 390, but this is close enough (mine wasnt this shiney)

DSC03417_zps5d5336e1.jpg

I tried to match the paint that mine had...

DSC03420_zps9f633779.jpg

Its not perfect (mine had crappy paint, but the engine was super strong). I have to do some more work on the paint and make the engine a little greasy (hey its a FORD).

Not as fancy as some of the builds here, but Im pretty pleased with it. I wll add some updated pics when she is all finished up. I have a bid on another 69 that,if I win it, I will build it like I always wanted mine....

Thanks for looking. Any ideas of helpful hints would be appreciated.....

Edited by BLOODBANE

Thanks for looking. Any ideas of helpful hints would be appreciated.....

I see you want to improve your skills. You came to the right place. When I first got involved with building as an adult, I joined a club and my models got better by leaps and bounds. I think you will find that a lot of what we do are just things you wouldn't have thought of on your own, but simple things anyone with desire can accomplish....

A tip - You said you sanded the old paint off the body. That's not a good idea because you are sanding off body detail at the same time. I know from experience, I accidentally sanded the detail off trim on a 1960 Desoto when I was new. To remove old paint, we use different types of stripper. The easiest is either brake fluid or Walmart's Purple Power cleaner. If you set up a small tub of either, and place your parts in it, it will clean the old paint off the body for you. You will need to gauge progress and maybe coax it a bit with some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Some paints come off really quick, others take some time. I hope this helps.

You have done well with your engine, keep us informed and don't hesitate to ask for advise. That's what we do here!

Thanks for the feed back. I have used Brake fluid on RC cars, so in the future I will use that trick. for the interior of this car I used the plastic bag trick on wet paint (mine had a blue marble interior). I painted the base coat of flat black, let it dry then went in with the blue, and dabbed it with the wadded up plastic sandwich baggie. Not perfect, but it looks pretty good....

DSC03423_zpsdc16f5e4.jpg

Lots of learning process's going on with this build (trying new things)