Model Cars Magazine Forum

No plastic 2014 Stingray kits? Could it be?

So, I was at my LHS yesterday afternoon discussing some of the upcoming releases, and got what I hope is an inaccurate update on 2014 Stingray models. According to what he has been told, GM has given licensing for 2014 Stingray replicas to a manufacturer of only diecast vehicles. Has anybody else heard anything of the like?
I did see something the other day about Bob's listing 2014 promos, but did not mention manufacturer or media...
I am ok with diecast, but plastic is certainly my poison of choice....

I have only seen the die cast cars but the folks on this board who have built them have done some very nice work --

I expect that the plastic will come around sooner or later ---just a matter of time ---this is a new car after all and I suspect a full detail kit will take some work --

Even if we get a "Show-Room" version (curbside) from AMT I would be a happy camper !!!

Lol, ABSOLUTELY, Tony! I've always thought the big draw about diecast cars was that they're made from the same (roughly) materials as the 1:1, and a diecast Corvette just blows that out the window.

You just gave me my first big laugh of the morning. Always thought it was just me! B)

And if a plastic kit is not offered, will the world end?

Oh, well, no, not particularly - it's just that there's now a gap in our plastic where the greatest Corvette since the mid-year C2s should reside.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I can't believe the hold up on this this kit. I bet Corvette's are some of the best sellers.

Yeah, the 1:1 has been out at least 6 months or so..strange that kit makers are dragging their feet..the diecast have been out for quite a while now. They seem to have ignored the new Viper also, which has been out well over a year in 1:1..

Revell indicated a couple of months back that they have yet to get detail specs on the Corvette. Without them, a glue kit is real tough. The HANG UP was GM and they, Revell, were not happy given that they had paid the licensing fees.

This is a case where you can blame GM for the lack of a glue kit anytime soon

I have been building car models on and off since 1959 and I can only recall ever buying two Corvette kits, an Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport and a Revell 53/54 Corvette. No others. In 1:1 I almost bought a 69 427 4-speed and I was saved from buying a new 84 by the insurance costs. That has been the only two I ever drove. A guy at my last job bought a new Z06 in 2005 I think and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride and I said no, not interested.

Just not a Corvette guy. I must admit, I like the 63 split window and the new Sting Ray looks good. I'd still never buy one even if I won the lottery.

I have been building car models on and off since 1959 and I can only recall ever buying two Corvette kits, an Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport and a Revell 53/54 Corvette. No others. In 1:1 I almost bought a 69 427 4-speed and I was saved from buying a new 84 by the insurance costs. That has been the only two I ever drove. A guy at my last job bought a new Z06 in 2005 I think and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride and I said no, not interested.

Just not a Corvette guy. I must admit, I like the 63 split window and the new Sting Ray looks good. I'd still never buy one even if I won the lottery.

That is pretty much sum up how I feel as well Bill , there are a few Vettes that I like, the C6R race version, I like the ZR1, I do some what like the new Vette , and if it ever does get kitted, I will buy one, but it wont be a I must have it right away, I have one built Vette kit, and that is the ZR1.