Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '53 Ford Pickup 3'n1

I , too , am hoping that the pending 1953 F-100 reissue is going to be the original AMT kit , and not that yucky MPC Flip Nose pile ...

I believe the F-100 is the old AMT kit as it has an AMT number, if it was the flip nose kit it would most likely have been listed with a MPC number as Round 2 release old kits under their correct lables nowadays...not like under the AMT/Ertl and Racing Champions/RC2 time when everything was released under the AMT/Ertl lable regardless of what maker originally did the kits.

Edited by Force

have always loved this kit. have built it in so many different ways I can't keep track... even have or had one somewhere that has the AMT '57 Fairlane chassis and running gear under it. talk about having to cut a load of plastic away.... disregard the kit instructions regarding the window unit; cut that sucker in two and trim the bottom of the front carefully to get it nice and tight in the opening. OOB it will NOT fit right, and cause the dash to go wonky. there's LOTS of room in that cab to add kick panels and better door trim. it also has the second best AMT Flathead representation out there IMHO, second to the '49 Merc. unfortunately AMT never added ANY hopup parts for the Flathead, but all the stuff from either the '49 Merc or the '50 Ford will fit the block. keep in mind also that Ford didn't offer a chrome grille for this truck; it's nice and pretty but it's not OEM. the stock grille included is the high-end version with grille "teeth"; if they don't suit you, substitute the parts from the MPC flipfront truck (it has a nice set of chrome bumpers, plain grille, and even a bed with "tubs" already added (they don't really clear anything on a stock frame build). I even checked one of my spare Desoto Firedome hemis from that kit for fit with parts from the Double Dragster hemi... a little fiddling and they fit fine, so adding a blower is an option.

Norm Grabowski had a 1:1 that he had the peak in the hood worked out of.... that's a lot of metalwork kids. pics of his truck ought to come up if you Google it.

I think of this kit as a blank canvas for artistic expression; one of my all-time favorites.

I've got a couple of these laying around. One built. One not. But, for some reason. And I don't know why? I'll be adding a third one to my collection when this one comes out. Still one of my all time favorite kits. But, it's the old box art that will be getting me to part with my hard earned money for another one. I love these AMT reissues with old box art and restored parts. As I've said before, "we're living in the golden age of modeling," right now!

Scott Aho

The only issues I ever had with this kit was the odd combination of the "Deluxe " Grille that was Chromed , and wrongly at that . Only the "Teeth " were actually chromed at the factory. I own a 53 Ford F-100 and I'm a technical writer for the early Ford Club magazine . In addition, I have been a long time vendor of Early Ford truck parts . Ford did not offer a chrome grill from 1951 until it's re introduction of the 1956 models . The reason was simple , Ford's chrome ore was obtained from the country of Rodesia in Africa . The chrome was diverted to the korean war effort .

The lack of the "Boomerang on deluxe models is also bothersome too. The hood emblems on the hood depict the standard models . I know it's too late to correct a 1963 tool , but the aftermarket could have years back !

I was under the impression that the "Boomerang" was only on the 1954 models ; but , I'm also assuming that you're referring to the embellishment surrounding the "F-100" script on the hood's planks .

BTW , the 1955 model is my favourite . Best looking grille and the neatest hood emblems (better than the 1956 emblems , which are really neat as well .) .

Edited by 1972coronet

• 4 months later...

This bad boy is due for release next month ( http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/1953-ford-pickup ) and I can hardly wait !

While this kit has remained largely unchanged throughout its numerous reissues ( just decals , tyres , wheels , and plastic colour) , it's nice to see it being released this go-around in its original format ( including the custom wheel covers that were around for only the original release ).

As a fan of the 1953-1955 F-Series ( 1956 is alright , too ... ) , I can't get enough of this classic AMT kit !