Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 oldsmobile 88 interior

i have been searching the internet for interior color options for the 1950 oldsmobile 88 club coupe, and everything i am finding is that it was only available in grey. i found that there was a deluxe version that had 2 tone grey, but was still only grey.

can anyone else confirm my findings?

i have been searching the internet for interior color options for the 1950 oldsmobile 88 club coupe, and everything i am finding is that it was only available in grey. i found that there was a deluxe version that had 2 tone grey, but was still only grey.

can anyone else confirm my findings?

Michael,

I did the same, very intense search a year or so ago--and found that 2-tone grey was the only interior color scheme I could find, as well. I used a flat light grey with dark grey accents, based on the instruction sheet suggestions, for the seats and upholstered parts of the side panels, with a metallic grey for the base color for the dashboard as well as the upper moldings on the side panels. The lower "central" part of the dash would have been a metallic charcoal grey in color, which meant some serious masking tape work for me.

Here's what I came up with:

50Oldsinteriorparts-vi.jpg

Art

thank you for confirming. i think the tamiya grey primer will be good for the light gray, and i will just need to get a dark gray for the highlights and middle section on the seats

for the dash, i think champaigne gold might be a nice choice. would you agree, that is the first color i thought of when i saw a pic of a real dash

thank you for confirming. i think the tamiya grey primer will be good for the light gray, and i will just need to get a dark gray for the highlights and middle section on the seats

for the dash, i think champaigne gold might be a nice choice. would you agree, that is the first color i thought of when i saw a pic of a real dash

I managed to find several pics of '50 Oldsmobile 88 interiors--although none of them very good nor very complete) online, using Google Chrome, searching "1950 Oldsmobile 88" in the "advanced search" box, then clicing on the "images" button when my search results came up.

For the colors for my Olds interior, I used Modelmaster light ghost grey (flat finish), with "Euro 1 Dark Grey" flat finish enamel in the Modelmaster line on the seats and side panels tor replicating the colors of the upholstery. On the dash and the moldings atop the side panels (on the real cars these were painted stampled sheet steel) I used one of the Modelmaster enamel metallic silver-grey colors but don't remember just which now. the darker panel in the middle and lower dash was masked off and painted Modelmaster's "charcoal grey metallic". In the midst of all this, there's quite a bit of bare metal foil work to be done, as well. Lotsa chrome trim in car interiors back in those days.

Art