Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to Do?

I recently found an add, FOR SALE Nascar Models. Seems this fellow had 33 Nascar kits that he wanted to sell. So I bought them for 3 dollars each.

Factory sealed. As far a Nascar goes I love the cars and the sport. However I know I will get tired of bulding the same type of car over and over agian.

I know I will be useing a lot of parts for kit bashing.

Now my question is what can a person do with 33 Nascar Kits. Can I build dirt trackers or other things?screw something up.

Your Ideas are most welcome.

post-13739-0-53706600-1397091140_thumb.j

post-13739-0-85476500-1397091186_thumb.j

post-13739-0-38819900-1397091299_thumb.j

post-13739-0-04390400-1397091343_thumb.j

post-13739-0-25562200-1397091385_thumb.j

post-13739-0-72328400-1397091481_thumb.j

post-13739-0-03953500-1397091519_thumb.j

Your Ideas are most welcome.

Build the ones of the drivers you like/follow. Use the rest to practice on or take to a local show and sell them, if possible.

They don't build up well as dirt trackers but you could try.

Use the bodies to try different painting skills or special effects.

Mikemodeler has a good idea. I use my spare NASCAR bodies for paint practice. They are relatively smooth and provide a nice canvas. I use them for decal / paint / setting solution testing.

Edited by Nacho Z

Actually, You Can do Dirt cars IF they are ARCA.

Treaded tires will be the only problem parts wise.

Paint scheme will be Finish wise.

ARCA Still runs a few Dirt races a year, AND Look IDENTICAL to Nascar

Winston Cup cars as they were Bought used by many teams!!

(Even/Esspecially back then!!)

They May Not sell well on either evilbay or Craigs list Unless someone really wants a Specific car or driver!!

I have at least 2 of that Thunderbird Rookies set for the Kulwicki car!!

(And He was Leading an ARCA race at Atlanta in his Only Car "Sirloin"

while going for Rookie of the Year in Cup [Or was it the Next year?],

but he spun out on the back straight and flattend 3 of the 4 tires and basically

out after that!!

SAME Quincy sponsors on the car too!!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

The kits are great source material for other race car types. Fire bottles, seats, roll cages and even chassis will make the making of racers easy. SCCA type sports racers can use the seats and other bits, even chassis' . Lets say you want a weekend racer for track day at a sports car track. I think even things like the late model Mustangs would benefit from the kits right down to the chassis with a little modification.

Build the ones of the drivers you like/follow. Use the rest to practice on or take to a local show and sell them, if possible.

They don't build up well as dirt trackers but you could try.

Use the bodies to try different painting skills or special effects.

These are all good Ideas.

The kits are great source material for other race car types. Fire bottles, seats, roll cages and even chassis will make the making of racers easy. SCCA type sports racers can use the seats and other bits, even chassis' . Lets say you want a weekend racer for track day at a sports car track. I think even things like the late model Mustangs would benefit from the kits right down to the chassis with a little modification.

Thes are good ideas. I can make my imagination do it's thing.

You could build one box stock.Then use some of them for parts for other projects and then use the rest for practicing and/or advancing your modeling skills.If you mess them up,so what?You've got more available.Stick off beat bodies on the chassis to make phantom race cars(Rolls Royce,Lexus, or Mercedes S class on a Cup car chassis anyone?)

Build a garage scene with several of them in various stages of construction and repair. This would be a good opportunity to practice making crashed parts such as body panels. The "damaged" pieces could be stacked in the corner of the shop as if they had been already removed from a race car. There wouldn't be any pressure to make a full car in wrecked condition.

Way back in 1983, my wife and I went to the first Street Machine Nationals East. I remember seeing a mid-70's Chevelle or Malibu, whatever they called it, done-up NASCAR style. It was fully street-legal and the roll cage wasn't even welded in place- it was strictly for show. But the car still looked like it could turn some hot laps. It's one option for you. Add some mufflers, head and taillights, some photoetched wipers...

Sad to say that these have gone from popularity and there were way too many made for the market to absorb. Dealers would give them to us as door prizes for our show and we had trouble giving them away. After dragging them to a few shows and storing them each year, when they were left over the last show, I just saw kids in the crowd and tossed them at them!

Actually, You Can do Dirt cars IF they are ARCA.

Treaded tires will be the only problem parts wise.

Paint scheme will be Finish wise.

ARCA Still runs a few Dirt races a year, AND Look IDENTICAL to Nascar

Winston Cup cars as they were Bought used by many teams!!

(Even/Esspecially back then!!)

They May Not sell well on either evilbay or Craigs list Unless someone really wants a Specific car or driver!!

I have at least 2 of that Thunderbird Rookies set for the Kulwicki car!!

(And He was Leading an ARCA race at Atlanta in his Only Car "Sirloin"

while going for Rookie of the Year in Cup [Or was it the Next year?],

but he spun out on the back straight and flattend 3 of the 4 tires and basically

out after that!!

SAME Quincy sponsors on the car too!!!!

I like your suggestion doing ARCA cars. A little bit of imagination is all I would need.

There are people under the impression I would like to sell them. Not the case at all,just want to get Ideas and I have a few now.

You would be lucky if somebody would pay for shipping on a NASCAR kit - way, way too much supply and low demand. You couldn't break even selling them at $3 a pop on eBay...

What makes you think I want to sell them. I really don't need the money. I am going to be joining an IPMS group and will probably give some away to young people to give them a start in this great hobby.

If you think there is no demand check this site out.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/index.php

Great response thank you.

Thanks for the great replies. I am going to do some kit bashing and other things maybe a Dio. or two.

One thing I will do I went into a speed shop many years ago and they had cars under construction.

They also had a very large showroom with wheel nuts to air cleaners. I think a Diorama would be neat of such a shop.

Some people are under the impression that I would like to get rid of them not so.

Some feel Nascar Modeling is dead again not so. Check this out.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the great replies. I am going to do some kit bashing and other things maybe a Dio. or two.

One thing I will do I went into a speed shop many years ago and they had cars under construction.

They also had a very large showroom with wheel nuts to air cleaners. I think a Diorama would be neat of such a shop.

Some people are under the impression that I would like to get rid of them not so.

Some feel Nascar Modeling is dead again not so. Check this out.

Thanks for the replies.

Therein lies the paradox; an apparently very active NASCAR modeling forum but when you try to sell NASCAR kits, there are few, if any, buyers. $3.00 on ebay? Shipping is a deal breaker (total price often exceeds $10.00). $5.00 at a swap meet? I've had guys pile up 10 NASCAR kits (at $5.00 each) and offer me $20.00. $2.00 each!! Part of me says I should take it (better than nothing, right?) but that's flippin' ridiculous.