Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Barracuda fix - Finished

Mopar - D

This is the MPC King Cuda kit that I built a couple years ago. The body has a 69 front and rear but has 68 style side lights so I'm going to use a resin 68 conversion kit to make it a 68. I'm going to replace the engine with a Ross Gibson 340. Debating on changing the chassis with one from the Dart. I'm going with new paint so I've started stripping the old off to replace with MCW Electric blue. Here's where I'm at now. Your comments and recommendations are welcome.

IMGP0074.jpg

a338278129e6bfbd1824f8da01fb6216.jpg

43195ab25ba25c3df6a8954864cab824.jpg

Edited by Mopar - D

Looks like a good plan there! I have one of those conversion kits from Perry's Resin and haven't had the chance to try it. If you go with the Dart chassis, the level of detail is lights years ahead of that lump that came under the car, but you will have to hack off a section of the front of the interior bucket and leave the rear seat folded down to hide the generous grinding away of the tail of the bucket to fit the equally ground-down chassis to make it all fit. Care must be taken with the rear wheel wells on the chassis when grinding. It's a game of fractions and a slice here, and a shave there and it all goes together. Slice out the engine compartment pieces from the Dart body and it just drops….in….place.

And as for the RG resin engine, spend extra care filing everything flush. The castings are crude to be polite. The detail is amazing, but the unfinished side is horrible. Shade the surface with a Sharpie to see where you have to sand and GO EASY! I use a piece of sandpaper on a smooth surface to level it.

You know I'd love to see another `68 go together. I'm back on mine now too. Let's go!

Edited by FASTBACK340

John following your build is what gave me the insentive to rebuild this at this time. I've had the resin kit about a year now and this build was on the to do list but your build moved it up.

I'll be checking your progress glad your able to get back on it and thanks for the advanced tips on the Dart chassis and the Gibson 340.

Carl I used brake fluid. The hard part was getting the clear coat off it took a couple days for it to soften up then it pealed off. I used a micro fiber cloth to rub the brake fluid on and remove the paint. I also wash it with soft soap a couple times as I'm removing the clear coat.

I've stated on the changing out the front grill. I cut out the old one frame around the grill and installed the new one. I'm working on thinning the out side edge of the grill to make it a smoother transaction like the real ones. The resin parts are fitting good. Thanks for your comments on this build.

6ac7a6efa8688d29b030e3d5c7419ecb.jpg

2c2afdc60ccb9dd1e0427ea4bb19872a.jpg

I did more cutting and grinding today on the Dart chassis. I cut 5 scale inches out of the chassis and also the inter fender wells. Have started grinding the interior tub and chassis to get them to fit together. Here are today's progress pictures. Thanks for the comments and recommendations.

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

I used some tubing on the outer edges of the chassis to give it support.

imagejpg4.jpg

I did more cutting and grinding today on the Dart chassis. I cut 5 scale inches out of the chassis and also the inter fender wells. Have started grinding the interior tub and chassis to get them to fit together. Here are today's progress pictures. Thanks for the comments and recommendations.

Unfortunately I couldn't save the rear seat area on mine. I'm forced to glue the seat back folded down covering the "fix" to make the new chassis fit the ancient interior tub. Luckily, I do the same with my 1:1. I never fold up the back seat.

Andrew I use brake fluid to remove the paint. If there is a clear coat it will require letting the brake fluid to soften it and it will take a day for it to get where it will peel off. So what I did was to wipe the body down with a Miro fiber cloth a couple times with brake fluid until nothing else comes off then I coat the body with brake fluid and let it set over night and the next day I wash the body with soap and water and the clear coat starts to peel off. After the clear coat is off the brake fluid wiped on with the miro fiber cloth will remove the remaining paint very quickly. I wash the body 3 to 4 times in the process when ever the body starts to get messy I wash it off. I used a scrib to clean out the panel lines. It took me a week to clean off the body that's with allowing the brake fluid to soften the clear coat if there was no clear coat it would only take a couple hours. Hope this helps if you have questions let me know.

Have you tried Castrol Super Clean? There's pro's & con's as I personally don't like brake fluid, but the Castrol will eat through metal. I use a soft bristle tooth brush and scrub off the remains after I let it soak overnight. When done you strain it and it's re-useable. You can also pour it down the drain to dispose of. It's also great for stripping chrome. Brake fluid is a petroleum product that should be safely disposed of. Brake fluid works, but to me, is messy and icky….. ^_^