Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo VN670 & VN780

and there is a few volvo cab over kits so you can get the motor and make a nice detailed kit..and also gary from gw trucks offers a real nice daycab conversion

Is there a Volvo truck model with the newer D11, D12, D13 or D16??

If so I have for sure missed out on that, the only Volvo truck kits I know of with engines are the old Italeri Volvo F12-F16 and FH12-FH16 kits, the old Revell Germany Volvo F12 kits, the old AMT/Matchbox Volvo F10/12 and the old Ertl N1023, the engines in those are outdated and not available in the VN670/780.

The engines in the Italeri, AMT and Revell Germany Volvo kits are the 12 litre TD120 (the Italeri F16 should have had a 16 litre TD162-TD163 to be correct and the FH16 should have had a the same TD163 up until 2002 and the D16 after that), and the engine in the Ertl N10 is a 10 litre TD100.

The newer D11, D13 and D16 engines are a new generation and looks a lot different to the older engines, the easiest way to tell if it's a new or old generation Volvo engine is to look at the top of the engine, the newer D11, D12, D13 and D16 has one long valve cover and the older TD100, TD120 and TD 160 series engines had one valve cover for each cylinder.

But if there's a Volvo D16 available in a kit or on the aftermarket I'm interested to get one.

Edited by Force

• 1 year later...

Sorru to bump an old thread, but I noticed that Italeri has just reissued the VN780 kit. Does anyone know if they're going to reissue the VN670 kit as well? I'd like to build a Midland Transport rig with the Volvo tractor as I see them all over the place on the highways up here, but I've noticed that almost universally the cabs are VN670s, not 780s.

I've never built a big rig model before, so forgive my total ignorance of them. :)

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

I do not know if Italeri is planning on reissuing the VN670, but I wouldn't be surprised if the did,  Italeri has been reissuing a lot of their truck kits, so the VN670 might be in the works.  I might get one if they do.

I do not know if Italeri is planning on reissuing the VN670, but I wouldn't be surprised if the did,  Italeri has been reissuing a lot of their truck kits, so the VN670 might be in the works.  I might get one if they do.

Italeri is going to announce some new stuff in the coming weeks.

I missed all this.... I currently work for a Volvo dealership. 670 Slimmer cab and only windows on the upper bunk,780 cab flares right behind the drivers door,for a 4" wider bunk interior,and has windows on the lower portion. The 880 is 780 with a wide non sloped hood, forward visibility really sucks in an 880,but the do offer the more owner/operator look and they don't have side fairings,The battery boxes and fuel tanks are visable. The 880 was discontinued in (I'm pretty sure but I would have to check) 2008. Due to poor sales,and in my personal opinion the hood was ugly. The 670 can be ordered with a downsized "Drivers lounge" with a fold down table that converts to another bed. It can also be ordered without the upper bunk but has to be special ordered that way. General production includes the upper and lower bunk. The Current engine options are as follows(This is after the 2007 emission standards"DPF" trucks). 670 Volvo D-13, Cummins ISX. 780 Volvo D-13 or D-16,Cummins ISX. The 880 was only available with the D-16. They never tooled it to run the Cummins. The options for the smaller "day cab" type trucks also offer a Volvo D-11 or D-13.

I've seen several 880s with Cummins ISx power actually also Cummins powered 830s too.

The 660 and 770 are just older versions of the 670 and 780 the most notable difference is the hood. The 670 and 780 both can be fleet or OO trucks. The numbers 670 and 780 stand for the sleeper size there are also midroof versions of each the 630 and 730

I missed all this.... I currently work for a Volvo dealership. 670 Slimmer cab and only windows on the upper bunk,780 cab flares right behind the drivers door,for a 4" wider bunk interior,and has windows on the lower portion. The 880 is 780 with a wide non sloped hood, forward visibility really sucks in an 880,but the do offer the more owner/operator look and they don't have side fairings,The battery boxes and fuel tanks are visable. The 880 was discontinued in (I'm pretty sure but I would have to check) 2008. Due to poor sales,and in my personal opinion the hood was ugly. The 670 can be ordered with a downsized "Drivers lounge" with a fold down table that converts to another bed. It can also be ordered without the upper bunk but has to be special ordered that way. General production includes the upper and lower bunk. The Current engine options are as follows(This is after the 2007 emission standards"DPF" trucks). 670 Volvo D-13, Cummins ISX. 780 Volvo D-13 or D-16,Cummins ISX. The 880 was only available with the D-16. They never tooled it to run the Cummins. The options for the smaller "day cab" type trucks also offer a Volvo D-11 or D-13.

I've seen several 880s with Cummins ISx power actually also Cummins powered 830s too.

Back in 2008, I had the pleasure of running a Volvo 880 with a 600 hp D16, very nice truck to drive with plenty of power for the hills, it was loaded to the gills with a kick butt stereo with sub!!! Ac/DC sounded AWESOME thumping through that sound system!! Also drove a couple of plow trucks on the Coq, both had Cummins N14 and 18 speeds...besides my passion for Western Stars...these are one truck that I would not hesitiate to drive again!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Back in 2008, I had the pleasure of running a Volvo 880 with a 600 hp D16, very nice truck to drive with plenty of power for the hills, it was loaded to the gills with a kick butt stereo with sub!!! Ac/DC sounded AWESOME thumping through that sound system!! Also drove a couple of plow trucks on the Coq, both had Cummins N14 and 18 speeds...besides my passion for Western Stars...these are one truck that I would not hesitiate to drive again!!!

Over here the D16 are available with 750 hp and it still meets the hardest emmision requirements in Europe, as far as I know the most powerful engine delivered from factory in Europe

Edited by Force