Model Cars Magazine Forum

Morgan 4/4

mitchell

Thanks for all the great comments. This is a Tamiya 1/24 kit. One of the best kit in their collection in my opinion. Engine detail is great and the engine lid opening is also excellent although fragile. And the leather strap on the hood is made of soft rubber texture. Overall, an excellent kit.

Very beautiful build! I had a 1:1 scale 1960 Morgan TR3 powered Plus Four many years ago, and even after two repaints it never looked as good as your Morgan.

I have the Tamiya kit to build someday, and was able to pick up a white metal DOHC 1600cc Ford engine to put in it; who knows when I'll get around to doing it, however.

I can comment on the 1/16th scale Morgan that someone inquired about. First of all, it is a Morgan Plus 8 version that uses a Rover aluminum V8 (ex '61-'63 GM 215 ci Buick who's tooling was sold to Rover for use in one of their sedans, and later found in Range Rovers, and even re-engined MGBs). The Plus 8 is a much higher performing car than the 4/4s with their much lower powered Ford 1100 cc 4 cylinder engines, such as that in Tamiya's 1/24 scale kit. The 1/16 Morgan kit has been around for many years (20+ at least), and does not have the level of detail as the Tamiya kit. But, it's possible w/ some work, to come up w/ a credible replica of the Morgan Plus 8. Keep in mind that the 1/16 scale kit is a motorized kit; consequently, the exterior appearance of the transmissiom & rear end, especially, have been compromised in order to fit the electric motor & diff gears in it. Engine detailing is soft, too, but can be improved w/out too much trouble as the basics are okay. (I have to ask myself: why would anyone want to have a motorized model that they'd spent hours building that only would run off on it's own w/ no way to control it, or prevent it from wrecking itself into something on it's maiden voyage?)

The 1/16 Plus 8's body & fenders have decent proportions, a reasonable level of detail, and can be made into a very presentable model of a rarely modeled subject. Other than the 1/24 Tamiya kit, it's the only game in town if one wants a Morgan kit - at least as far as I know. The kit has very nice wheels & tires (some releases have a choice of both decent wire wheels & the correct alloys used on Plus 8s. The interior is better than okay. But, the Morgan's unique sliding-pillar front suspension is not completely accurate, and that's probably due to it being a motorized kit. The most recent version of the Plus 8 marketed by a company called LS also has a 1/72 scale Pitts biplane included. That release's box art has a dark green Morgan, plus the biplane, on the box lid. Earlier releases of the same tooling, have a yellow & black Morgan on the box lid. Also, the later release has some optional parts not found in earlier releases (such as the aforementioned wire wheels), better tires (I think, as it's been many years since I had an original release), a roll bar, a pair of Brooklands-type racing windscreens (in addition to the stock type windscreen), a luggage rack, and an umbrella - perfect for the typical tweedy-type sports car driver of an earlier era. . . (I have to ask myself - again - why? lol) Versions of this kit can be found on eBay occasionally from $50 upward. Hope this info is helpful. . .

Edited by buffalobill

thanks for the comment. Actually I purposely orange peel the paint on this car to stimulate the age of this car. The photos make the car look that good. Thanks for the explanation on the 1/16 scale Morgan plus8. I think it will be a long stretch to find that kit and I am very happy with the Tamiya offering. If anyone comes up, I will do another one doing a two tone paint. The suspension and the engine on the car is just typical Tamiya excellent.