Model Cars Magazine Forum

This one hit the bench tonight, I am still not sure what I am going to do this one, but I am pretty sure it will be stock for the most part, on to the kit, taking a look at the frame

IMG_2926_zps88116eb1.jpg

A fellow club member Gabe suggested that I should drill out the holes on the frame, so I used his idea, so here is before

IMG_2927_zps66dc9d9c.jpg

and after the holes were drilled

IMG_2936_zpscf9a77d1.jpg

and a mock with the cab/interior

IMG_2938_zpsde467300.jpg

IMG_2940_zps94d8aff3.jpg

and I opened up the hitch receptacle

IMG_2944_zpsf1ffcdd6.jpg

And getting some of the pieces on before I paint it

IMG_2951_zpseda66141.jpg

IMG_2952_zps410ff65e.jpg

and some paint , used a too hot of black, so it crazed the frame, whoops

IMG_2955_zps30cf46d6.jpg

IMG_2957_zps9d3d87f9.jpg

Off to a nice start and will be following this one as an inspiration to get mine started/done. I like what you did with the hitch, I need to do the same as I plan on pulling a Galaxie trailer with mine.

Come on Mike, you know you want to build yours ;)

I was working in a NAPA store today and was mesmerized by the Duplicolor Color Match spray paints and tried to figure out what color I wanted to paint my F350 and now I REALLY don't know!

What paint did you use on the frame that crazed like that Jonathan? Did you prime it first?

I was working in a NAPA store today and was mesmerized by the Duplicolor Color Match spray paints and tried to figure out what color I wanted to paint my F350 and now I REALLY don't know!

What paint did you use on the frame that crazed like that Jonathan? Did you prime it first?

Mike, I use color palace flat black not thinking about it , I then sprayed a stain black over that, I should of just used Tamiya Semi Gloss black

So now you really have no idea what color you want to paint it ? :lol:

More work on the chassis

IMG_2986_zps6824ea67.jpg

IMG_2987_zps1084e36d.jpg

IMG_2989_zps170586df.jpg

IMG_2990_zpsb79650ac.jpg

IMG_2969_zps2506bb4d.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Started work on the engine
IMG_2992_zps04dd162c.jpg
IMG_3005_zpsac755d6f.jpg

IMG_3028_zpsa8628d24.jpg
And more on the frame, got the tie rod and stabilizer bar on, now there is an small issue with the stabilizer bar, it was real, it wold not being doing a good job of keeping things stable, as you can see, its just a tad bit short, and does not reach the axle
IMG_2994_zpse2c71d77.jpg
IMG_2996_zpse157cca7.jpg
IMG_2995_zpsebf6a8cf.jpg
IMG_2998_zps2b81327a.jpg

Looking good Jonathan, can't wait to see some color on this truck!

My build start has been delayed for two weeks due to work, I guess at that time I can't have an excuse for not picking a color! :D

I expect in two weeks to hear what color you are going to use :lol:;)

The bar looks ok, it just needs the end links. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Sway-Bar-Repair-Kit/2008-Ford-F350-Super-Duty-P-U-4WD/_/N-jreyjZ8oxl1?itemIdentifier=930920_149386_0_2940 Shouldn't be to hard to make with some styrene rod. The rear has a similar link, though with less bends in it. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Sway-Bar-Repair-Kit/2008-Ford-F350-Super-Duty-P-U-4WD/_/N-jreyjZ8oxl1?itemIdentifier=930918_149385_0_4145

Looking at how you're paint turned out, it really isn't a total error, as it does resemble the sprayed on wax coating found under the 1:1. Or at least what we see in my area.

The bar looks ok, it just needs the end links. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Sway-Bar-Repair-Kit/2008-Ford-F350-Super-Duty-P-U-4WD/_/N-jreyjZ8oxl1?itemIdentifier=930920_149386_0_2940 Shouldn't be to hard to make with some styrene rod. The rear has a similar link, though with less bends in it. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Sway-Bar-Repair-Kit/2008-Ford-F350-Super-Duty-P-U-4WD/_/N-jreyjZ8oxl1?itemIdentifier=930918_149385_0_4145

Looking at how you're paint turned out, it really isn't a total error, as it does resemble the sprayed on wax coating found under the 1:1. Or at least what we see in my area.

Bill, thanks, that is what I was trying to say, just end links was escaping me at the time of typing , I am not upset about the paint, when all said and done, its not going to be seen very much anyways ;)

Looking good, the paint could almost pass for the added undercoat that dealers upsale and then the lot hands spay on with rattle cans. Unfortunately I did this on my first new vehicle purchase. I drove it back to the dealer a few days after purchase, in a rain storm, and that was the result. Was not happy. But I love the build and thanks for sharing.

Jonathan, you are doing an excellent job on this one. Your photography and coverage of the build is supurb as well. I've been eyeballing all these frame and suspension shots because I've been considering one of these as another dropped custom project...using a modified stock frame. Then again, I could just build my first full frame and bash/scratch a full drivetrain. Your pictures give very accurate representation of what the kit offers in terms of suspension options, whether one choses stock, raised, or dropped. Again, very nice work!

Edited by Skydime