Model Cars Magazine Forum

Save the Edsel

I'm not sure what the process is of starting a CBP here, but...

While working on an Edsel model last night I got to thinking of an idea that I thought I'd suggest and see if anybody thinks that it's as much fun as I think it would be. Participants could be given the summer to form their concepts and the project would start in the fall, continuing through the winter, and end in the spring. Registering would take place from the announcement until the starting date.

Here's the concept;

Save the Edsel Challenge

Imagine that it's mid 1959 and you're a well known car designer. You've been called into the corporate offices at Ford Motor Company, and are just about to have a monumental task offered to you.

The conversation might go something like this;

"Ford Motor Company introduced the Edsel late in 1957 as a 1958 model. Extreme research and development went into the car. It should have been a success, but at introduction time, the market dynamics had all changed. What should have been a Lion has already turned into a Turkey. There are some issues with quality, but the other companies are also experiencing quality problems. When introduced there was a recession in progress and many were concerned about the size and economy of the car, and others were confused about the myriad of models which mirrored those of other Ford products. Why should somebody buy from an unknown company when they can purchase what is essentially the same car in one of our other makes? Of course, there remains the issue of the love it/hate it style. The variables affecting the the future of the Edsel are many.

No company wants to have one of its product go through history as an example of failure. Since the car has only sold in limited quantity, FMC has chosen to market it in the future as a limited production vehicle. You're skills are known and respected throughout the industry and we're asking you to help save the Edsel and its reputation. You'll have a clean slate for design and engineering, and you can chose what genre such as sports car, personal luxury, etc, that you want to follow. You're vehicle must be realistic and fit the times. We don't want some strange futuristic dream car. We want something that the public will appreciate and respect. What we're asking for is a limited production 1961 Edsel.

Do you have what it takes to save the Edsel and will you accept the challenge?"

I just think that something like this would bring out some very interesting concepts. I could see some going back to challenge the Corvette, while others might take a full out luxury aimed at the Imperial, still others might want to beat out the Riviera for personal luxury, or even get a 3 year jump on Ford's own Mustang. The only limitations would be to stay in the themes of the era and keep Edsel styling cues.

What are your thoughts? Should I propose this or do I just have too much time on my hands?

I've had that very project on and off the bench for the last couple of years or so! Mine is based on the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" slogan. I even went as far as coming up with a fictitious story for it. I won't bore everyone with that. But, basically, it's a story about the first "true" Thunderbolt in the form of a big block 390 with two fours and headers powering a light weight '61 Comet. This could give me that final push I need to get it on the shelf. It's way too far along to join a CBP as it's probably 85% done. It's that last 15% that's killing me. Here's where I'm at currently...

005-16.jpg

010_zps0e354f5c.jpg