Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24th Scale Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA

mikevillena

I'm blown away. I need to harness my patience. I am truly blown away. And I love this body style a lot. Will need to look for this kit.

Mike, I like the way you show how you did something. The pictures, even on stuff not talked about, looks like it could be replicated with just a little patience. Thank you for this thread.

And PM sent... :)

Hey Mike, just to give you an idea of how much I like this build, I'm checking in during my anniversary trip to Rome. Wifey isn't too pleased but I have to :)

Have you decided on a color yet? Rosso Corsa will probably be best now that blue is ruled out. Ever seen a Giulia in yellow?

Hey Mike, jus checking in, as always super fantastic detail, ,,,,,, 3 things, #1 the relief in the upper front door panels, to clear the rollbar,,,AWESOME, #2 the door hinges,,,,,,AWESOMR!!!! #3 the DOOR PANELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! I CANT TAKE ANY MORE, im just gonna go away and take up playing w/ dolls or somthin'.Shaun.s

I'm blown away. I need to harness my patience. I am truly blown away. And I love this body style a lot. Will need to look for this kit.

Mike, I like the way you show how you did something. The pictures, even on stuff not talked about, looks like it could be replicated with just a little patience. Thank you for this thread.

And PM sent... :)

You guys are too much!!! :lol: I was fortunate because there was a wealth of reference pictures available. Although I've made quite a few errors and there are some inaccuracies in the details I'm learning a lot. That's why the project is still evolving slowly as I refine the somewhat crude aspects. Thank you all for sticking with me. :D

BTW: Tom has brought up a great point; metallic panels have to cover the rear parcel tray and bulkhead to physically separate the driver's compartment from the fuel cell. Thanks Tom!

Edited by mikevillena

Hey Mike, just to give you an idea of how much I like this build, I'm checking in during my anniversary trip to Rome. Wifey isn't too pleased but I have to :)

Have you decided on a color yet? Rosso Corsa will probably be best now that blue is ruled out. Ever seen a Giulia in yellow?

Robin, you lucky guy!!! Man, I miss Italy so much..... I had the good fortune to have visited Italy twice on holidays (2009 & 2010) with my girlfriend. Last time we were in Rome, we rented an apartment a few steps from Piazza Navona. We stayed there for a week and we did groceries and laundry just like any local would. I am a reasonably competent motorcyclist so I rented a scooter and we really enjoyed riding around taking in all of the sites.

IMG_0765_zps6e27acd8.jpg

IMG_0809_zps20ef3ca2.jpg

A week later we were in Sorrento and stayed at Villa Monica. I also rented a scooter there albeit a larger displacement one, and I rode the Amalfi Coast Highway from Sorrento to Salerno.

IMG_1228_zps76fe64b9.jpg

IMG_0312_zps4e996545.jpg

IMG_0318_zps52c5d512.jpg

IMG_0336_zpsee4eca27.jpg

I apologize for taking the thread off topic but I really had a wonderful and memorable time. Robin, I hope you and the wife enjoy yourselves. Do me a favor and toss a couple of coins for me into the Fontana di Trevi. We hope to return later this year or early next year. Ciao!

I apologize for taking the thread off topic but I really had a wonderful and memorable time. Robin, I hope you and the wife enjoy yourselves. Do me a favor and toss a couple of coins for me into the Fontana di Trevi. We hope to return later this year or early next year. Ciao!

Sure will!

The renting an apartment sounds nice, Alltho this hotel is really nice, I would love to get past this "tourist-y" way of visiting Rome. At the moment I don't have the time, but next time I visit Italy I'll definitely rent a car or something and take a trip along the amalfi, or just along the coast to wherever I end up. Lovely country.

This project is simply amazing, I'm still in shock from the amount of detail you've put into such a beautiful car. After this you should use Italeri's Giulietta spider and make another master piece.

Thank you Austin. But I think I was just lucky in finding so many good reference photos of various GTA's being restored. I tried to look for Italeri's Giulietta but there are none available as it has been out of production for many years now. I will certainly keep an eye out for it. I will probably build either the old Merit 158/159 or Tamiya's 155 V6 TI next. I've also started a long term research project to see if I can scratchbuild the 33 T3.

Sure will!

The renting an apartment sounds nice, Alltho this hotel is really nice, I would love to get past this "tourist-y" way of visiting Rome. At the moment I don't have the time, but next time I visit Italy I'll definitely rent a car or something and take a trip along the amalfi, or just along the coast to wherever I end up. Lovely country.

Robin, all of Rome is touristy. It's just the way things are. However, I learned to get up very early and to do a lot of exploring long before any tourists even wake up. I found a neaby coffee shop that opened at 5 a.m. and I always had my espresso and croissant elbow to elbow with the locals. Most speak English although I tried to also communicate in Italian (using my phrase book) and they do appreciate the effort. The Italians are wonderful and I would give anything to live there. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your holiday and don't forget to take a bunch of pictures. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a bit elementary, but can you please give me some detail on what exactly your process/technique is for opening these vents? It's one of those things that I am always yearning to do but forever scared to touch because when I've gone to open up larger vents and such it often ends in disaster, these just seem like I would wreck them immediately.

Also, you keep talking about grinding down the thickness of the plastic which is another one of my pet peeves (thick walls at openings), what are you using to do that with?

This build looks amazing.

Vents cut open:

IMG_1022_zpsc12930f3.jpg

Ground off the molded details on the hood undersides and shaved the hood to the correct scale thickness:

Edited by bigbluesd

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike your work impresses me no end. Your another one who has been to Italy, I was out in Florence not long ago. I also read your link to Duncan Hamilton. I sometimes go to Le Mans and have seen the Hamilton clan there. I couldn't go this year but I noticed whilst watching the whole 24 hours on our Eurosport satellite channel that his grandson Archie was there with his own team!

Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More work on the door and general fit:

IMG_1291_zps862dc397.jpg

IMG_1292_zps5cc93d2c.jpg

Several tries at building the door hinges:

IMG_1289_zps50dfcf8d.jpg

I didn't like the fit and function so I made a new set and moved the pivot points outwards:

IMG_1293_zps90e71d11.jpg

IMG_1294_zps92807a56.jpg

IMG_1295_zps0bce38ff.jpg

IMG_1296_zpsf91f01d2.jpg

The doors open reasonably well. The hinges are not exactly to scale but that is the limitation when working with relatively soft styrene. I don't have the ability to do photo-etching in house for the moment so it will have to do.

thanks for posting pixs on door hinging......this is what im working on now......plus its my first time hinging a larger scale diecast / model....i started out doing 1/64 scale....

• 7 months later...

Awesome project work

I bet those doors will close with the nice solid clunk like a well made vehicle does

In that case, it wouldn't be an Alfa.

I had 4, including a non-GTA version of this car. The door handle of my GT broke off as I opened it.

Edited by sjordan2