Model Cars Magazine Forum

REVELL FORD SVT RAPTOR

Austin T

Finally we will get a Raptor kit in scale. It's just a snap kit as of now but It looks like some of the Meng F-350 hype may have motivated Revell to pump out a modern truck kit,hopefully we can get some more modern trucks in the coming years. I'm very excited about this!

1546221_10152418914971062_40101092503082

Edited by Austin T

Finally we will get a Raptor kit in scale. It's just a snap kit as of now but I guarantee you that's because the meng f-350 light a fire under revells butt and they knew they had to get out a kit of a modern truck. I'm very excited about this!

1546221_10152418914971062_40101092503082

The Raptor has been in the planning stages since at least 3Q last year. There already is a diecast 1/24 Raptor, so one issue Revell was considering is if there would be enough interest. The ZL1 also has been in development for a while and will supposedly have the correct engine. They're still trying to work out the C7 vettes with GM.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I just hope it comes with a good choice of decals to do the iconic bedside decal you see on a lot of the raptors

But since it's a snap tight chances are they will be stickers. :unsure:

Yeah- that's the only thing I'm really afraid of. Really the biggest downfall of the majority of Revell's newest snap kits.

That will be nice..that '67 Camaro looks like it's worth looking forward to also.

I second that !

Looks like it's going to be under the Special Editions moniker , and that it's a 2-in-1 ... !!!

Wonder if it's based upon modified tooling for their 1969 Camaro (i.e. , backdated in a similar fashion as their 1969-come-1968 Dart series) ?

I second that !

Looks like it's going to be under the Special Editions moniker , and that it's a 2-in-1 ... !!!

Wonder if it's based upon modified tooling for their 1969 Camaro (i.e. , backdated in a similar fashion as their 1969-come-1968 Dart series) ?

Or modified tooling from the '68 Firebird kit..

The Raptor has been in the planning stages since at least 3Q last year.

Gerry....thanks for setting the record straight on this. Model kits take a LONG time to develop and do correctly.

While it makes a great storyline to suggest that the new Meng kit prompted Revell to go ahead with a Raptor, the timelines involved for such a scenario to have taken place just don't meet the realities of kit development today.

TIM

Is it possible that when this kit is released,that the Mengs f350 chassis could be modified to fit under the Raptor?

It could but it is not really correct. The F150 and F350 frames & drivetrain probably don't share much as the GVWR is much different.

I spy some more lunch money well spent with the folks from Revell!

Is it possible that when this kit is released,that the Mengs f350 chassis could be modified to fit under the Raptor?

Wouldn't make sense, considering the Raptor is 1/25th and F150 based in 1:1 and the Meng Super Duty is 1/24th...and Super Dutys have very little in common w/ F150s.

I love pickups and not to take away anything from the effort, but why can it not be a best selling(F150) or more common pickup seen and used everyday? I see hundreds of pickups everyday but have never seen a Raptor other than on tv. If I were trying to sell model kits for a living I would make what people actually own and then make different versions (standard cab, extended cab,crew cab,long bed ,short bed, dually) Am I wrong in my thinking?

I love pickups and not to take away anything from the effort, but why can it not be a best selling(F150) or more common pickup seen and used everyday? I see hundreds of pickups everyday but have never seen a Raptor other than on tv. If I were trying to sell model kits for a living I would make what people actually own and then make different versions (standard cab, extended cab,crew cab,long bed ,short bed, dually) Am I wrong in my thinking?

this kit is aimed at getting young kids involved in the hobby, a plain jane f150 wouldnt be all that appealing to a youngster. i think revell is making a good choice here, a cool looking 4x4 with a catchy name. i think this kit will do well.

I still don't get it. All pickups currently on the road are cool looking 4x4s. If a name and decals are what kids want, they can name it anything they want to with wild artwork but the product would still be more broadly accepted and usable to all if it was more common. I own several of the 90s Dodge long bed snap model and it wasn't flashy or obscure but certainly could have been If they were really going for the snap together youth market. If they are going for the youth, wild paint and decals with the box art would make the sell-It did for me as a kid and some of the junk that was actually in the box, well that's a whole other story. I still think they are missing sales to a broader market and I probably will buy one because I like pickups, but I am buying 4 Meng f350s because of the potential and I'm a Dodge guy.

I think the Raptor is a common truck, I see them all the time. Granted not as much as a regular F-150 but I still see plenty of Raptors. Also not all of them have the tear effect on the side, some are stark white and blend right in.