Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just starting this one. Not the most accurate kit but good enough for the shelf. I replaced the kit front springs with some scratch built ones. Here is a mockup using the jeep rubicon wheels and tires...planning on using the krawlers from Chief BA726BAD-D58A-41E1-806D-C4CD0CCFE615_zps

30A1B86A-3973-48CB-8880-B06D00628055_zps

Andy since you just started I'll offer up that the windshield is much too low on the kit. It's easy to make it look much better by carving out the plastic up to the engraved window molding line, then rescribing that line higher, using the width of the trim for the measurement.

4f_3-vi.jpg

You can see that the windshield top is actually parallel with the drip rail. The kit also has very weak drip rails. I replaced mine with Evergreen round trim.

Andy since you just started I'll offer up that the windshield is much too low on the kit. It's easy to make it look much better by carving out the plastic up to the engraved window molding line, then rescribing that line higher, using the width of the trim for the measurement.

4f_3-vi.jpg

You can see that the windshield top is actually parallel with the drip rail. The kit also has very weak drip rails. I replaced mine with Evergreen round trim.

Thanks for the info...saw it in other threads. I actually owned a '75 F-150 in high school so I'm pretty familiar with these trucks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of these would actually look pretty cool as a welder truck 4x4 dually the whole nine yards

I've thought the same thing. The bed would be easy to build but I wish I would have casted the previous lincoln welder that I made...that was a pain to get just right.

engine looks great!! is that glass in line fuel filter a resistor? like ones i could find in the pull out drawers at any radio shack??

cause that looks sweet!! great work on the motor wish i had a mini lathe and knew how to machine

Great job keep it coming!!

engine looks great!! is that glass in line fuel filter a resistor? like ones i could find in the pull out drawers at any radio shack??

cause that looks sweet!! great work on the motor wish i had a mini lathe and knew how to machine

I believe they at diodes and yes I got them at radio shack

I believe they are diodes and yes I got them at radio shack

• 1 year later...

Brought this one back out. I raised the windshield opening. I also picked up a set of Goodyear MTR's and method wheels from fireball modelworks. These things are beautiful. Highly recommended. I need to machine some braked drums so that I can get the tires spaced out farther. Here is how it sits.