Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surprisingly overwhelmed.

So a few weeks ago I thought I'd take up model building for a hobby. I've always enjoyed and appreciated the amount of work that people put into a model. It really is an art form. But my goodness. I never would have thought that so much went into a build. I was thinking you buy a kit, some glue, a couple cans of spray paint and you have at it. Boy was I wrong. Air brushes, food dehydraters, putties, 15 different kinds of sand paper, real aluminum wheels, wiring kits for engines, injection molded or resin and the list goes on. Never would I have imagined that so much would go in to this hobby. I'm almost scared to build one now. Lol.

Build for YOU. Rule #1.

Yeah, there are a lot of really great builders out there- don't be intimidated or scared by them. Use them for inspiration.

Don't worry about all the fancy stuff either, learn to use what's in the box first, and then move on to the trick wheels, radical modifcations and slick customs.

What's most important is to lay a good foundation for all your building in the future, no matter what direction it takes.

Charlie Larkin

I hear you, I got back into it last September and then found this place shortly after. I too was amazed at the level of builds and the almost never ending list of aftermarket parts and supplies. information overload to say the least.

the good part of it all is, I have found so much good info here, and great people willing to take the time to explain in detail how to do things, that it just helps increase my desire to get better at building these little plastic wonders.

so I say to you, sit back, relax, and read and ask questions, and enjoy your time building. with the help of this forum you will see your skills and details improve in no time, and most importantly, have fun :)

I felt the same and as I start getting back into it I started with some Tom Daniels Monogram cars. Basically working on painting and clean assembly right now. I do aspire to giving some of these guys a run for their money but that isn't today or tomorrow. I know I can will get better but it takes practice.

Don't worry about all the fancy stuff either, learn to use what's in the box first, and then move on to the trick wheels, radical modifcations and slick customs.

What's most important is to lay a good foundation for all your building in the future, no matter what direction it takes.

That's some real good advise. Learn the basics of clean building. Everything else will come along in its own time.

Sure is different nowadays. I remember using Mom's sewing thread for ignition wires and fuel lines. Drilling holes? What's a pin vise? I used to use a pin heated up over a candle.

Cotton swabs for painting

Toothpaste to polish

#8 black thread for spark plug wires IIIRC

So a few weeks ago I thought I'd take up model building for a hobby. I've always enjoyed and appreciated the amount of work that people put into a model. It really is an art form. But my goodness. I never would have thought that so much went into a build. I was thinking you buy a kit, some glue, a couple cans of spray paint and you have at it. Boy was I wrong. Air brushes, food dehydraters, putties, 15 different kinds of sand paper, real aluminum wheels, wiring kits for engines, injection molded or resin and the list goes on. Never would I have imagined that so much would go in to this hobby. I'm almost scared to build one now. Lol.

Everyone that builds starts out with a kit, glue and paint and then the other things come later.

As others have said build for yourself and have fun. As far as adding details goes get the basics down first. Then start adding more detail if you wish.

Good luck with your first model.

Tim I have been building since I got back into the hobby in 1990/91. I am still a box stock builder today. That has been my strength is to use what comes in the kit. Paint, foil and glue is all I use that is not in the kit. Everyone was a beginner at some point..

A lot of hobbies are like this. All depends on what you want to do. I've become interested in model trains recently and stopped at a store yesterday and after talking to a few guys there, I left feeling the same. I have a complete train kit that was $50, looking around the store, thinking if I want to do it "right" I need a $1500 train. Lol. First world problems.

I agree with the above posters. Building is a personal thing. If you race real cars you can drive a 4 cylinder mini stock, or a 8000 horsepower monster with carbon fiber and titanium everything. Go as far as You want to go. Dont worry about what other people use. A lot of the super detailed projects are a result of people slowly pushing their limits over a long period of time. We all started with a plastic kit, some orange tubes of testors glue and some square bottles of paint. The most satisfying feeling of a completed model is that when you are done, you feel like you did your best on that project.

Hi,

A lot of good advice has been given and most of model building is about good prep, paintwork and clean assembly.

Enjoy building some kits from the box - there are several around now (of a wide range of topics) that go together really well so don't worry about more experienced builders - the important thing is for you to find out how satisfying it is to create a model of a car yourself. As you grow into the hobby you'll find your niche and how much you want to do with your models.

If you do decide to start doing more with your models slowly add in more things - doing too much too soon and lead to stalled projects and their demotivating affect on your desire to build. Even if you start building more involved builds the basics of model car building will make or break your efforts so spend some time learning how to nail the basics, it'll really help you in the long run.

There are plenty of resources (e.g. books, dvds, magazines, websites) to help you get started and you'll find plenty of threads on here and helpful people to help you enjoy this great hobby! :)

About 5 years ago I started getting into cycling and went to a bike swap meet and was completely blown away much like you are now about model cars. I just knuckled down, asked questions and now I am pretty comfortable with any issue of cycling. It was learning curve. I have grown up building models and with 50 years experience it is almost like breathing for me.

My one piece of advice is to listen to most advice and then pick out what makes sense to you. Everyone develops their own technique. You will also. Try different things and go from there.I am abhorred by how some paint their models but they often get good results.

In a few years you will be able to post pics of your models and got to shows with pride. Craftsmanship and clean technique will do the trick. Good luck to you.

Try it in the 1:1 automotive world. I have been "wheeling" since 2000 (my first technical off road trail=lots of obstacles, steep climbs, tons of BIG rocks). I built my first truck and its still no where near finished (plus it cost a ton). I am currently building a dedicated "Rock Buggy" and it has taken me everything I have learned to date, to build what I think I need (i am a decent fabricator, nothing outstanding, but I can make things work right). I am not "new" to the modeling world, but my skill level is lacking. I am learning with each build though. Do my builds match the builds on this site? Not a chance, but they make me happy (same as in the 1:1 world. I build my trucks for me). Keep at it (thats what Im doing), and add something new each build.

Tim, just remember that every question you ask will get at least 2 different answers. Everyone has their own favourite way of doing things and everyone will swear it's the only way and the others are wrong.

But usually there is no one "right way".

I'd suggest that now you've read up and studied and looked at pictures on the interweb you turn the computer off and just build your model. Don't keep coming back and checking on how to do stuff, just get on with it and give it a try. Sure, chances are it won't be a show winner but it will give you an view of what this hobby is about and will hopefully be a lot more pleasurable than stressing out worrying about if you are doing it right or trying to follow someones confusingly written tutorial with dodgy pics. Just build your kit how you want and have fun.

Fun.

That's what it'a all about. If you're not enjoying it then it's not worth doing it.

Fred